Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox, MCE and Nintendo Wifi

Options
  • 22-02-2012 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but..........

Looking for a little bit of help on a networking/xbox/media centre edition problem.

Right, the problem is to do with Nintendo.

The young lad has a Nintendo DS - which needs the special wifi usb stick to connect to the net.

And I could only get it to work on the media server (intel atom, Win7 32bit ult) which is cabled into the router. It wouldn't work on the laptop.

So, ICS is enabled on the router to allow the nintendo to work.

Anyway - previously I had the Xbox acting as a media extender to the MCE running on the same PC, slow, but fine for watching a movie and all that.

This was happening over a 801.11 N wireless connection.

Now it's not. The Server can see the xbox and ping it, but the xbox doesnt see any of the PCs on the network.

Oh, and a Win7 homegroup is running.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Wildefalcon, ditch the usb dongle to the DS and revert back to the way it was. The DS can connect to the router directly. And if it is dongle I am thinking of, Nintendo gave up supporting it years ago because it was not user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I had huge problems setting up my xbox media extender on my UPC router. Again, it was the PC that couldn't see the xbox. What I've learnt is that any sort of anti-virus on your PC can cause problems, windows firewall and your router firewall can also prevent it from seeing the Xbox. I've also heard that some routers won't allow it if there is a mixed wireless\wired setup eg: Xbox wired to router, laptop connecting wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I had huge problems setting up my xbox media extender on my UPC router. Again, it was the PC that couldn't see the xbox. What I've learnt is that any sort of anti-virus on your PC can cause problems, windows firewall and your router firewall can also prevent it from seeing the Xbox. I've also heard that some routers won't allow it if there is a mixed wireless\wired setup eg: Xbox wired to router, laptop connecting wireless.

+1 on this, The UPC routers refuse to mix signal share. Its quite annoying. Luckily i hooked a router up to my UPC modem and used it as a the hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

CORaven wrote: »
    Wildefalcon, ditch the usb dongle to the DS and revert back to the way it was. The DS can connect to the router directly. And if it is dongle I am thinking of, Nintendo gave up supporting it years ago because it was not user friendly.

Ah, no, that's the problem, the DS can't connect to the router, unless I disable the security. It doesn't have the WPA protocol on board. I'm not switching off the security, though.

Thanks, anyway - I'll keep trying.

Advertisement