Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer science points predictions

• 22-02-2012 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hoping to go ahead and do it in Trinity, but will be tight for points I predict.
    From 2010 to 2011 it went up 30 points. Will it go up even more again this year? People get the 25 bonus points for maths, so that'll nudge it up a bit too won't it? Anyone else doing the course? If so how many points you aiming for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

It seems to be a course thats in high demand this year. Iv been told to expect Trinity to rise to over 420 and UCD 460. Only 80 places in TCD and 50 in UCD. Competition will be fierce. Im looking at over 460 points hopefully. Got 380 in mocks without a lot of study

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 meagher43

I am the same i got 390 in the mocks and am hoping to get around 460 ... I was just wondering how do you guyz now that you will like this course as i have been to the open day which i thought was pretty cool and i learned a bit of programming which was really interesting but im still not sure if ill like the degree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I think it'll probably be around 420-30 in Trinity this year. That's a bit of a guess, but I think an 80 point rise would be quite extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Potency

meagher43 wrote: »
    I am the same i got 390 in the mocks and am hoping to get around 460 ... I was just wondering how do you guyz now that you will like this course as i have been to the open day which i thought was pretty cool and i learned a bit of programming which was really interesting but im still not sure if ill like the degree

Well for me I've had a passion for computers my whole life, and I know I want to be a software engineer. Programming and computer science isn't what people usually imagine. I'd recommend you thoroughly research each of the topics in the degree, and also what your career will be like if you pursue software engineering.

I'm very sure there's too many people doing this degree who think it'll be grand for a job, and they think they'll just work on facebook or Call of Duty or something.They have no idea what you actually do. When they get their assignments, or see the modules in detail I'm sure there'll be many drop outs. Which is a pain because I'm tight on points, and someone who'll probably drop out will get in ahead of me mad.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Potency wrote: »
    Well for me I've had a passion for computers my whole life, and I know I want to be a software engineer. Programming and computer science isn't what people usually imagine. I'd recommend you thoroughly research each of the topics in the degree, and also what your career will be like if you pursue software engineering.

I'm very sure there's too many people doing this degree who think it'll be grand for a job, and they think they'll just work on facebook or Call of Duty or something.They have no idea what you actually do. When they get their assignments, or see the modules in detail I'm sure there'll be many drop outs. Which is a pain because I'm tight on points, and someone who'll probably drop out will get in ahead of me mad.gif

Truth be told im actually one of those guys. Was gonna do Law, turns out there is no jobs, seen the papers last summer and they're all saying to do CS. The "brochures" all say if you have an interest in solving problems then do CS. I done some light programming a few weeks ago and found it boring beyond belief.

Im still undecided what to do, changing my mind on a bi-hourly rate. I will more than likely get into UCD or TCD and i could take a place from someone actually more interested and then i drop out or persevere and hate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Truth be told im actually one of those guys. Was gonna do Law, turns out there is no jobs, seen the papers last summer and they're all saying to do CS. The "brochures" all say if you have an interest in solving problems then do CS. I done some light programming a few weeks ago and found it boring beyond belief.

Im still undecided what to do, changing my mind on a bi-hourly rate. I will more than likely get into UCD or TCD and i could take a place from someone actually more interested and then i drop out or persevere and hate it

Wow, that is how NOT to choose a course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

I'll hesitate a guess that Trinity will rise to 410-425, UCD to 440-460, DCU to 360-380 and NUIG to 415-435. Hope to do C.S in either UCD or Trinity (like most people here), with UCD being #1 on my CAO choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

It's hard to know whether or not you'll like programming starting off. If you wanted something a bit broader you could always do engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 thedice

so what are peoples predictions now? I reckon UCD could go up to 480pts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

thedice wrote: »
    so what are peoples predictions now? I reckon UCD could go up to 480pts

It's going to go way up I think.

It went up 35 points last year.
    This year there's the bonus points for Maths.
    There's over 40% more people applying for the course this year than last year.

I'd say it'll be around 470 at least, maybe 480.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

Cant believe that only some students in UCD and TCD get a work placement.
    How can you learn without work experience. UL provides an 8 month work placement for all students in 3rd year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

Potency wrote: »

I'm the same. I'm hoping to do computer science in TCD next year. I've started to try and learn a bit of Python but I'm a bit confused at the moment. It's difficult but I'm determined to slog through it until I get to the point where I can use it practically because it's what I really want to do. If you really want to succeed in Computer Science you have to be really dedicated and focused on it.

I know what you mean. I've talked to lots of people who were considering doing CS because they were told that that was where all the jobs were. I got them to research into it a bit more and they realised that there was a lot more to it than the surface of the computer world that they're so used to seeing. Yeah, if you're considering doing it, really research up on it first because it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Hi, just wondering what compiler are you using? I've started to write in C for the first time using notepad++. but when I go to actually run the program, I dont know how. Im also a beginner at programming. I've downloaded many compilers but once downloaded, i dont know which file to use. This is a very basic problem but I'd rather get started the right way than anything else.

I too, am fearful of people doing CS for the wrong reasons. I have no experience of programming but I have researched this area and I seem to have interest in it. I like maths and I am amazed at how technology is progressing and I would like to be part of this progression. I am taking a risk as I have no previous programming experience and I'll probably find it difficult at first but I'll work hard and try my best at it. I wont drop out!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

thedice wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering what compiler are you using? I've started to write in C for the first time using notepad++. but when I go to actually run the program, I dont know how. Im also a beginner at programming. I've downloaded many compilers but once downloaded, i dont know which file to use. This is a very basic problem but I'd rather get started the right way than anything else.

I too, am fearful of people doing CS for the wrong reasons. I have no experience of programming but I have researched this area and I seem to have interest in it. I like maths and I am amazed at how technology is progressing and I would like to be part of this progression. I am taking a risk as I have no previous programming experience and I'll probably find it difficult at first but I'll work hard and try my best at it. I wont drop out!;)

I use the Dev C++ compiler (free download). I too have done a lot of research and am learning C this summer. I bought the book "The C Programming Language" 2nd edition by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie, and I would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 markbb1994

i put down ucd cs first but if its gonna go up in points i dont think i got enough points for it :/....i have dcu down 2nd though and i reckon i should have the points for that......will i be offered dcu in the 1st round then or?? :/ ( dont understand points system well )

markbb1994 wrote: »
    i put down ucd cs first but if its gonna go up in points i dont think i got enough points for it :/....i have dcu down 2nd though and i reckon i should have the points for that......will i be offered dcu in the 1st round then or?? :/ ( dont understand points system well )

Yea you get the offer for the highest course you have the requirements and points.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭NSNO

Best of luck to anyone going for CS!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

http://www2.cao.ie/app_stats/pdf/AppStats01Feb2012.pdf

20% increase in science applicants.
    Engineering/ Technology is essentially UNCHANGED.

Just posting that for clarification. The media seem to be portraying a 40% increase in STEM courses but fail to emphasize that this is over a period of a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 markbb1994

markbb1994 wrote: »

Yea you get the offer for the highest course you have the requirements and points.
    Cheers :)

as long as the points do go up by 125 for ucd, il will be packing my bags!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I have CS down in NUIG, it's 390 at the moment and I got 420, do ye think I'm safe?

I have CS down in NUIG, it's 390 at the moment and I got 420, do ye think I'm safe?

Yea you probably are, though as far as I know it could be 625 :pac:

Advertisement