Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bike - Choices Choices

• 22-02-2012 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All

Thinking (but not committed to) changing my 2009 Honda CBF600 for either a new Honda CBR 600F or a Triumph Street Triple. Price to change is the same although I am getting slightly better value on the CBR600F which has a slightly higher price than the ST (probably to be expected as a benefit of staying with the same make).

Have driven the ST but not the CBR 600F - its a lot of fun with a manic engine. However I am torn between the 2 with the arguments as follows:

CBR600
    To my eyes a much better looking bike
    Better all rounder - fairing, provision for luggage etc
    ABS brekes
    Better build quality - mirrors, switchgear, sidestand etc

Street Triple
    The engine - its a hoot and sounds fantastic
    Light weight and flickability
    Was able to test ride it but not the Honda
    More fun?

All views welcome particularly from anyone who has ridden/owned wither bike. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

You are dead right with regard to your thoughts on the Honda. Reliable, durable, robust - and yes, overall it's a better bike IMHO. BUT, the Triumph is just such a riot! It's fun, it's nimble, it's a hooligan's wet dream. Hard decision there alright. The CBR600 would just about win it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

pmjackson wrote: »
    Hi All

Thinking (but not committed to) changing my 2009 Honda CBF600 for either a new Honda CBR 600F or a Triumph Street Triple. Price to change is the same although I am getting slightly better value on the CBR600F which has a slightly higher price than the ST (probably to be expected as a benefit of staying with the same make).

Have driven the ST but not the CBR 600F - its a lot of fun with a manic engine. However I am torn between the 2 with the arguments as follows:

CBR600
    To my eyes a much better looking bike
    Better all rounder - fairing, provision for luggage etc
    ABS brekes
    Better build quality - mirrors, switchgear, sidestand etc

Street Triple
    The engine - its a hoot and sounds fantastic
    Light weight and flickability
    Was able to test ride it but not the Honda
    More fun?

All views welcome particularly from anyone who has ridden/owned wither bike. Thanks.

You jammy git. :)

Seriously, both are good bikes, so thats not helping. I think the Triumph will be no less reliable than the Honda.

Are you a 'head' or 'heart' person ? The former would pick the Honda, if the latter, the Triumph. No wrong choices, really.

It might be down to something pragmatic: the Triumph will probably need more work / time to keep sparkling due to its open design. Does the lack of a fairing make a difference to your riding ?

It used to, to me. But not anymore - hence I ride a Harley.

Hmmmm, toughie. Triumph, just for variety, methinks.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pjackson

Thanks for the responses. I won't be doing much in the way of distances or touring . It's mainly for Sunday and summer evening spins. Leaning towards the Street Triple . Heart over head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

I'm running a Street Triple R 08 with 36,000km. Zero issues to date and certainly consider it a massive step up in quality from my previous Yamahas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

pjackson wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses. I won't be doing much in the way of distances or touring . It's mainly for Sunday and summer evening spins. Leaning towards the Street Triple . Heart over head.

For a fun bike it has to be the Street Triple.

If you where going to be commuting it would be the CBR since it's a Hornet in new clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

pjackson wrote: »
    As a Triumph nut I would defo go for the st for your needs. I think if you went for a blast on one with the lads you would just keep on grinning. It would be my ideal back road tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I think the new hondas are gammy looking, personally

guess the best looking street triples, are now no longer available (green ones!)

Advertisement