Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamburger Buns - How to make ones like the shop

Options
  • 22-02-2012 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, real dissapointed, gave this recipe a whirl today and although the buns are nice, they are sweet, a bit like cake rather than, well, shop bought buns.

I used this recipe, which probably suits the sweeter pallet in North America but... -

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/baking_and_desserts/the_best_hamburger_buns.php

I am wondering if anyone has a good recipe for Burger Buns that resemble the shop bought ones in Ireland (or close to it). Is it possible to make this type at home??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Haven't tried them myself, but these ones in the Cooking Club might interest you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056164725

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Thanks Black Oil, but..... sorry....

You see that recipe is pretty similar to what I have and although they are good, the buns do taste good, they aren't what I wanted.

I'm really looking for a recipe for McDonalds/shop bought buns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, sorry. :o

I think I know the ones you mean - 6 pack, yellow and red writing on the pack or am I imagining it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I only discovered the Chorleywood Process a couple of days ago, store-bought baps would be made this way and the process can't be copied without industrial equipment (you probably wouldn't want to if you read about it)

Black Oil wrote: »
    Yeah, sorry. :o

I think I know the ones you mean - 6 pack, yellow and red writing on the pack or am I imagining it?

Welll, I mean like the closest you can get to them, sort of sick of buying these buns when I'm willing to make them myself ! I really want to make them, and not buy them, deffo dearer to make them than buy them but .....

• Advertisement

hardCopy wrote: »
    I only discovered the Chorleywood Process a couple of days ago, store-bought baps would be made this way and the process can't be copied without industrial equipment (you probably wouldn't want to if you read about it)

Interesting, thanks for that.

I really think it's about getting lots of air into the dough, but perhaps this is what the unnamed chemicals do to the dough in the chorleywood process.

Never say never though eh!

Advertisement