Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh man, some great games coming out

Options
  • 22-02-2012 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

SSX: Deadly Descent and Mass Effect 3 start of March. The Last Story for the Wiii out on Friday, which is a JRPG that has has average around 90% so far from reviews. Nobuo Uematsu with the OST.

Whoever said the best games only come out during Christmas? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

This year is a great year for games.

Max Payne 3
    Mass Effect 3
    GTA V
    Hitman: Absolution
    Far Cry 3
    Halo 4
    Sleeping Dogs
    Metro: Last Light
    Couter Strike: Global Offensive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

All sequels except one or two... Thats not a bad thing but its a bad thing that this is what the Big producers think we want. I was watching a video on Game-Trailers and some dude from EA said Gamers dont want new IPs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

I was watching a video on Game-Trailers and some dude from EA said Gamers dont want new IPs :rolleyes:

That's what's wrong with gaming. How could someone say such a thing!? :mad: Must have came from the Activision School of Gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

it'll be hard to top last year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

That's what's wrong with gaming. How could someone say such a thing!? :mad: Must have came from the Activision School of Gaming.
    By looking at the charts? :o

Metro: Last Light has been pushed back to next year by the way.

Elsewhere in sequel land there's BioShock Infinite, Darksiders II, Ninja Gaiden III, Prototype 2, Far Cry 3, Assassins Creed III, Diablo III and Prey 2.

New IP wise we have Dragon's Dogma, Binary Domain, Spec Ops: The Line (not really new but not a sequel either), Aliens: Colonial Marines, Dishonored, Lollipop Chainsaw and Metal Gear Solid: Rising.

Also Fez. Fez.Fez.Fez.Fez.Fez.Fez.Fez.Fez.Fez.Fez.Fez.Fez.Fez.Fez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Borderlands 2
    The Last of Us
    Bioshock Infinite
    Guild Wars 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

All sequels except one or two... Thats not a bad thing but its a bad thing that this is what the Big producers think we want. I was watching a video on Game-Trailers and some dude from EA said Gamers dont want new IPs :rolleyes:

In one way, they're right. As with Hollywood movies, sequels are the safest bet. There have been many highly-acclaimed games using wholly original characters and scenarios which flopped. If gamers want more original titles like Beyond Good & Evil, then they're going to have buy those that do come along in greater quantities.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

On the other hand, Bioshock Infinite barely has any useful resemblance to the previous entries in the series. The name is a useful way of giving it a profile in advance, but in many ways it feels to me like they've snuck a whole new IP in under a banner they just happened to have handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

gizmo wrote: »

Elsewhere in sequel land there's BioShock Infinite, Darksiders II.

Definitely two I'm really excited about
    On the other hand, Bioshock Infinite barely has any useful resemblance to the previous entries in the series. The name is a useful way of giving it a profile in advance, but in many ways it feels to me like they've snuck a whole new IP in under a banner they just happened to have handy.

Wouldn't really agree there. It's set in the air instead of underwater, but other than that there's a lot in common. There's tonics and powers very like the previous games. And the combat system looks pretty identical. I'd say other than the visual setting they're gonna be very similar. And that's not a complaint from me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

What does IP mean? (in the context of above posts.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

New Intellectual Property - New franchises/ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Lets not forget about Half Life 3 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

i'm a bit distant about this years titles cause if i'm honest Gears 3, Uncharted 3 & Batman:AC left me feeling a bit of deja vu. I didn't even bother with AC:Revelations, Forza 4, Layton or COD for the same reasons. I'm really worried about ME3 I haven't read any previews but all this crap I hear about DLC & Multiplayer leaves me shaking my head (I LOVE Mass Effect but Bioware seem a bit forced about the whole thing).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I disagree there - in fact, I think it's a more admirable, worthwhile sequel endeavour than the vast majority of others. Bioshock was arguably designed more with 'ideas' in mind rather than setting and gameplay: in fact, both were heavily interconnected with the overarching thematic concerns of the piece. Bioshock Infinite seems to be taking an ideology and building it's world around that starting point, much like the original did. Bioshock was a game of grand ideas and literary critiquing: it just happened that the city it built to allegorise its lofty objectivist concerns was what ended up symbolising the franchise.

But in terms of ambition and ideological criticism, Bioshock Infinite appears to be every bit in the vain of the original. Bioshock 2 was a decent game, but made in the absence of the series director and focused more on 'gamier' rather than evolutionary improvements. Infinite is exciting because it promises to address more than the usual sequel bullet points like dual wielding, graphical improvements and tighter gameplay (all surely will be present and correct). Instead it creates an entirely new world while remaining compellingly true to the series' original vision. And that's the kind of inventive sequel I like to see. Abandoning Rapture is certainly a commercial risk, but one that promises a game that feels entirely new.

But who knows? Could be a turd. *shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Lets not forget about Half Life 3 :p

What year did you jump to in your time machine? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hmmm dunno about this year.

The only game I was hyped - Diablo 3, but they already taking so much time with it, that I just started to not give a **** about it.

Bioshock infinite is something I would look forward and it will be day one purchase.
    Looking forward to any new ps vita games. Machine is increadible!

The rest of the games just meh for now. I managed to skip so much last year holiday season. I am proud of myself. Now This year is not really even trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

I'm hyped for just 3 games (so far!);

GTA 5, South Park and Journey which is been released next month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

A veritable AA title avalanche. Too much! Struggling to stem the flow.

How am I gonna work my way through Trine 2 in time for Max Payne 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Kinski wrote: »
    In one way, they're right. As with Hollywood movies, sequels are the safest bet. There have been many highly-acclaimed games using wholly original characters and scenarios which flopped. If gamers want more original titles like Beyond Good & Evil, then they're going to have buy those that do come along in greater quantities.
    I don't agree with this shifting of the blame. Customers cannot buy original games if they are not being produced and marketed on an equal level with sequels and derivatives. Which they are not. It's a pretty stupid circle: publishers consistently reduce investment in original IP and then hold up weak sales of original IP as proof that they are right to cut investment in original IP. And so on

One of the more heartening developments of recent years has been the emergence of digital distribution as a platform for original games. And sales there have generally been pretty positive; Minecraft in particular racking up AAA levels of sales. So people will buy games if they are good enough and marketed in the right way

(I'd also take issue with your original logic. There are plenty of examples of games in major franchises flopping. Does that mean that the franchise model is also doomed?)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,128 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

At the moment, I can't think of a game I'm looking forward to. But hopefully that will change at E3, with the final Wii U reveal as well as other games that are unannounced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Completely hyped for the Amazing Spider-man release. Looks to be the best one yet

• Registered Users Posts: 29,128 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'll admit a movie tie in didn't appeal to me, but since I started reading how parts are similar to Arkham City, I started to pay attention

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I Am Alive in 2 weeks (PSN) and Spiderman in June but my most hyped game for the summer is Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong). Hope it comes out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

hmmm the only thing i am hyped about is mortal kombat for ps vita now. then diablo 3 would be lovely. then TERA online is out soonish.

stuff like bioshock is still 5million years away from now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Mentioned them in another thread but may as well chuck them in here in case others are interested: Gunpoint and Thomas Was Alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'll admit a movie tie in didn't appeal to me, but since I started reading how parts are similar to Arkham City, I started to pay attention
    do you think we're getting the spider-man game we deserve? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looking forward to Kid Icarus: Uprising this weekend....

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

My main biggie is Bioshock Infinite. I might pick up one or two others that catch my interest along the way, if I can afford them.
    Just not as interested this year. Still have a few to try out from last year, Dead Island and Rage in particular.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I Am Alive in 2 weeks (PSN) and Spiderman in June but my most hyped game for the summer is Sleeping Dogs (formerly True Crime: Hong Kong). Hope it comes out soon.

Wrt a release date for this game, I've seen Q3 mentioned as well as august 9th and just august.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I heard really good things about Spiderman. Apprently its not just a by-the-numbers get out for contractual reasons game like some in the past have.

Advertisement