Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh man, some great games coming out

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,128 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

jpcarlow wrote: »
    do you think we're getting the spider-man game we deserve? :P
    I know I shouldn't encourage it, but no, just the one we need right now. :rolleyes:

I hear good things about Bioshock and I still have to play the first one. So maybe if I play that I'll be looking forward to Infinite more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Dare I say it and jinx it, but this year looks to be..... based on titles alone (remains to be seen if all will deliver not) packed with great games, may/june looks like a november release schedule not a mid year one. Then from september on there is the usual flood of games too.

Certainly the best year in many imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't encourage it, but no, just the one we need right now. :rolleyes:

I hear good things about Bioshock and I still have to play the first one. So maybe if I play that I'll be looking forward to Infinite more
    thank u :D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Reekwind wrote: »
    I don't agree with this shifting of the blame. Customers cannot buy original games if they are not being produced and marketed on an equal level with sequels and derivatives. Which they are not. It's a pretty stupid circle: publishers consistently reduce investment in original IP and then hold up weak sales of original IP as proof that they are right to cut investment in original IP. And so on

One of the more heartening developments of recent years has been the emergence of digital distribution as a platform for original games. And sales there have generally been pretty positive; Minecraft in particular racking up AAA levels of sales. So people will buy games if they are good enough and marketed in the right way

(I'd also take issue with your original logic. There are plenty of examples of games in major franchises flopping. Does that mean that the franchise model is also doomed?)

That would be flawed logic...if that were the point I was making. But it's not. I'm arguing that existing, successful IPs are a safer bet (not a sure thing). I never said that any model is "doomed."

And it's not necessarily about attributing blame to anyone; video games like Skyrim cost a massive amount of money to produce, so publishers and developers are going to have to look for ways to minimise risk when green-lighting a project. Offering consumers a sequel to a product they've purchased in vast quantities is one way of doing that (Minecraft is a bit of a red herring in this context, as you'd have to ask how many games are being made at a similar cost to determine how likely you are to have a hit with a Minecraft-like product and budget).

Also, it's not true to argue that consumers can't buy original IPs if they don't have the same level of marketing. To be sure, they can only buy them if someone produces them, but there are more ways to find out about good games than through advertising (actually probably the worst way to find out which games are good).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's much harder to get excited over a new IP though than something already established, and I wouldn't see why it'd be worth marketing something new over something like Assassins Creed, Mass Effect etc.

There are a few new IPs, like Dishonoured, The Last of Us, The Last Guardian, Inversion and games like Kingdoms of Amalur and Asura's Wrath already released.

As I know effectively nothing about these games before they're out, I'm not going to be excited by them in the same way that I will be about Assassins Creed 3, which could be completely ****, but I'll still buy it to finish the story and because I enjoyed the previous games.

There probably isn't enough new IPs, but everything coming out was a new IP at one stage, and the circle will continue when these are finished story-wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

titan18 wrote: »
    It's much harder to get excited over a new IP though than something already established,

As I know effectively nothing about these games before they're out, I'm not going to be excited by them in the same way that I will be about Assassins Creed 3, which could be completely ****, but I'll still buy it to finish the story and because I enjoyed the previous games.

I gotta say I'd be the opposite. Knowing less about the game is part of the allure/excitement for me. It's something new that we haven't seen yet. When it's AC, CoD etc, it's hard to get as excited at this stage, when you know what to expect from previous games.
    All though I do think it depends on how regular the sequels are. Like CoD and AC bringing out games ever year is ridiculous IMO. But the likes of Bioshock Infinite I can't wait for.

The main problem is new IPs not getting enough exposure, promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I gotta say I'd be the opposite. Knowing less about the game is part of the allure/excitement for me. It's something new that we haven't seen yet. When it's AC, CoD etc, it's hard to get as excited at this stage, when you know what to expect from previous games.
    All though I do think it depends on how regular the sequels are. Like CoD and AC bringing out games ever year is ridiculous IMO. But the likes of Bioshock Infinite I can't wait for.

The main problem is new IPs not getting enough exposure, promotion.

Ya, I can see your point when its yearly releases. For me, no matter what the new IP is and looks like it'll be, it won't beat the likes of Skyrim,GTA5, Starcraft 2 etc for anticipation.

On the promotion point, whilst I agree they need more, it's much easier to promote and guarantee sales for sequels with a fanbase than it is for something new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

If great games are eagerly anticipated ones that ultimately take a universal pounding from the critics then I have to ask how many months off is Max Payne 3 now. Seems like my watch has stopped? *tap* oh; shìt :/ I don't wear one.

Advertisement