Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music production build (help)

Options
  • 22-02-2012 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€750-1000]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Music production, Protools HD, FL Studio, Ableton, + alot of software plugins]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [No]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Nope

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [In 7 days]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Cork City

My old computer isnt quite cutting it anymore with so much power hungry programs running at once. Need something fast and realible, need to be able to open multiple programs quickly etc.

If anyone can strike up a build for me then i would appreciate it, going to purchase as soon as i can.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

You could save yourself a good bit of money if you could reuse your old hard drives. Could spend the extra on a graphics card if you want one but onboard should do for what you want. You could also knock down the price if you wanted by getting a cheaper ssd and hdd.

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €916.76 + €30 shipping
    ASRock Z68 Pro3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€89.75
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 CO(Sockel 775/1155/1156/1366/754/939/AM2/AM2 +/AM3/AM3+/FM1)|€21.51
    Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155|€276.07
    16GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-10667U CL9|€74.15
    Kingston HyperX SSD 120GB 6,4cm (2,5") SATA 6GB's|€190.04
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€53.65
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Titanium Grey|€91.69
    WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 8,9cm(3,5")|€119.90

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry I totally left out that I will be using my current harddrives for all the music storage. They are all external. Would I need USB 3.0 so the link up between these would be faster? Or would there be a better way of going about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

that motherboard has usb 3.0 but your hard drives mightn't support it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You could strip them of their outer shell and put them into the PC. It might void warranty so you'd have to check that out for a particular model.
    Alternatively, check to see if they have eSATA connections. If they do, it may be worth your while getting a motherboard with eSATA or an add in card/bracket as eSATA is usually much faster than USB 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I have FLStudio on my SSD. I originally intended to have some plugins there as well but it didn't work out that way, so they're just on a normal sata drive. I don't think it's absolutely necessary as these applications tend to be quite small anyways and load quite fast.

You would see benefit by having samples on the SSD though but they take up a lot of space then. So I'd say it's nice to have an SSD but not 100% necessary.

The biggest thing with audio processing is having a nice big processor cache, fast clock speeds and a ton of RAM. Also you will see benefit with more cores as audio apps are ideal for concurrency.

That build that Daz has looks good, better than mine and I've never run into problems with any amount of intensive plugins running.

• Advertisement
Advertisement