Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hostels in Perth

Options
  • 22-02-2012 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Anyone have any good recommendations for long term hostel stay in Perth? Arriving the 28th March...will probably stay in hostel till i find work!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Trishy_Baby

Do keep this updated on where you stay...im arriving on april 20th and will probably book into a hostel for a bit. I've heard the Northbridge area is the place to be though

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Do keep this updated on where you stay...im arriving on april 20th and will probably book into a hostel for a bit. I've heard the Northbridge area is the place to be though

For the first week or two maybe but the novelty wears off very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Wintergreen

When I was in Perth (Sep - Dec 11) I stayed in Underground for a night, Billabongs for a week and Swan Barracks for 2 months.

Billabongs was my favourite, nice and clean had a pool and en-suite dorms but was a bit out of Northbridge and was expensive but all the prices of hostels at that time were increasing because of strong demand and it was coming in to Summer. Hopefully they'll be cheaper now!

The Underground was pretty cool, my dorm had been refurbished recently and the place has a bar and pool (though the pool was never in use :( ). Its supposed to be very lively come weekends and it was full of Irish lads the majority of whom were working or looking for work.

Swan Barracks was great fun. Place is massive but I cant deny its a dump! However it was by far the cheapest while I was there. Loads of lads working there and there were special rates for long term residents though I imagine all place do that. The staff would also turn a blind eye to drinking in rooms etc which is crucial for cheap nights out! It also had a more diverse amount of nationalities which I prefer, I recall Underground as being almost exclusively Irish!

There's a one complete **** hole that had crazy low rates, unfortunately cant think of the name of it. Horrible big grey building in the city, avoid it unless your desperate. The stories I heard about it..

Perth was'nt my cup of tea but some seem to love it, best of luck there regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Xavi6 wrote: »
    For the first week or two maybe but the novelty wears off very quickly.

This.
    Roberteve wrote: »
    The underground in northbridge close to the nightlife and the city centre and there's a lot of lads staying there that are working.

I stayed in a few in Perth.

Underground was a nice place, clean rooms and a decent bar. But the people who were staying there were ridiculous. About 90% Irish and shítfaced about 90% of the time. Stayed there for for days and never seen one of my roommates during the day. But he'd come in every night and scream a conversation with his mate.

Old Swan Barracks was shíthole, but it was cheap and there was a decent mix of people. Could really do with more showers though, we had a room on the ground floor. There was eight 8-bed droms sharing our hallyway and only one shower for each gender, and the guys one was broken for three days when I was there.

Stayed in one out in Cottesloe when we first arrived called Ocean Beach Backpackers. Unbelievable. 30 seconds from the beach, huge clean rooms and common areas, great burger place next door and the OBH is two doors down which is where most people go on Sundays in Perth for Sunday Session. It's about a 25 minute bus from the city (bus stops outside) but was definitely my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭emfitz

Have stayed in Billabong twice... Its decent enough and you get free (basic) brekkie... Its not a bad walk into the city. 25 mins maybe but free bus goes from the next street up abt 5min walk.

Both times I've been theres been lots of workers staying there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

+1
    Cottesloe beach, oh the memories!!! stayed here for about two weeks back in 2005 during the compromise rules. stayed in ocean beach backpackers too. yes it is a bit out of the city but i would highly recommend it. sunday sessions are mighty craic and the staff in the hostel were always very nice and helpful. i played my first and last cricket match for that hostel in an inter hostel competition. : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I am was hoping to get a motel either closely to the airport or else close to the train that runs to Guildford. All booked out from any I have contacted so far.

Have one night in the underground booked for the day I land but will need a few more days somewhere. Have registered on au.easyroommates.com and have a few to view when I get there.

Any suggestions? Don't mind paying that bit extra to get some place clean where my stuff should be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Blue Shamrock

Oasis/Globe backpackers was decent stayed there for 3 months last year was one of the cheapest in Perth. Most people staying there were working so good if your planning to work. Staff were friendly but facilities were poor enough always seemed to be something wrong with at least one of the showers and kitchen wasnt the greatest:( The rooms were always kept clean and have good variety of room types, they were strict on some rules (no guests, and no drinking outside after 10) which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you are looking for. Its just located outside the train station 5 mins walk from Northbridge and 5 mins the other way from city centre.

Advertisement