Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show February 24th 2012 - Eurosong Special

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

That was Jepic!!!

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

There's probably something better in your bin, Twirly.

Really? :( Ah well :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

twirlagig wrote: »
    Ok, so the bins are out! :D But, ran into drunken neighbour on way in and heard all about the 'savage game of darts, f'ing savage' they had tonight! :rolleyes:

So, the sleep is gone off me - got 3 dvds in Xtravision few months back, 3 for a tenner job - watched one already... 2 left - Donnie Darko and The Other Man (Liam Neeson, Antonio Banderas) - recommendations for either? :confused::D

Well, firstly, I'm glad you got the bins out :)

Now, Donnie Darko is a bit mental. Good movie, but If you have been drinking it might not be the best. Or then again, maybe that's the ideal preparation for that particular Movie :)

The Other Man - got some really bad reviews. A good cast in a bad movie.

Nothing's right, I'm torn - as Natalie Imbuglia said :)

I dunno - maybe go with The Other man. Or toss a coin and let fate decide :)

Sorry Twirly, I don't think I have been very helpful here. Hope you enjoy whatever you decide on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Donny Darko's ok (if a bit weird). Haven't seen the other one you mentioned.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Skid wrote: »
    Well, firstly, I'm glad you got the bins out :)

Now, Donnie Darko is a bit mental. Good movie, but If you have been drinking it might not be the best. Or then again, maybe that's the ideal preparation for that particular Movie :)

The Other Man - got some really bad reviews. A good cast in a bad movie.

Nothing's right, I'm torn - as Natalie Imbuglia said :)

I dunno - maybe go with The Other man. Or toss a coin and let fate decide :)

Sorry Twirly, I don't think I have been very helpful here. Hope you enjoy whatever you decide on :)

You say that like I would be prone to drinking on a Friday night!!! :D - Wonder why! :D;)
    Often heard Donnie Darko was good and only picked up the other one because I'm rather fond of that Neeson chap! :p

• Advertisement

twirlagig wrote: »
    You say that like I would be prone to drinking on a Friday night!!! :D - Wonder why! :D;)
    Often heard Donnie Darko was good and only picked up the other one because I'm rather fond of that Neeson chap! :p

Drinking? I know, where could I have got that idea? :p

Ah, maybe give the Neeson chap a go.

He might be Mr. Right for Tonight, as it were :)

Drinking? I know, where could I have got that idea? :p

Ah, maybe give the Neeson chap a go.

He might be Mr. Right for Tonight, as it were :)

Ah shur I will so! Til next week people, for some more slating & rating!:D

Here is Jedward's performance tonight ... if you just can't get enough

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Here is Jedward's performance tonight ... if you just can't get enough

Just to balance things, I think it's only right to play the only song I've ever heard before tonight with the word "Waterline" in the title ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Estonia should have won last year

I just noticed something in that video.. where the hell did that walking stick come from 30s in? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,257 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

The best song finished 2nd. I am surprised. The worst song finished 1st. I'm not surprised! I thought the second worst song (Song 2) would finish 2nd. Confused?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I only got back in time to see the Jedward song tonight (this wasn't planned - honest), and I hung around for the Sheen interview.

Just wondering - was there any mention of the late Noel Kelehan who died recently on tonights show ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'd nearly use my years credit voting against the irritating tossers.

See, I don't get this. Like it or lump it, Jedward are one of the biggest acts to come out of Ireland in recent times. Even if you don't like them, you have to accept they get a boat load of publicity and media attention. And to be frank, that's who we need to be sending; not the best song or the best singers, but the acts who are going to get the most publicity on a mass scale.

We go on about Eastern block voting and the likes, but the truth is we haven't won it for years because a lot of people are stuck in the 80s where they think it should be about the best song. There's going to be arguments here later that we should send a single girl singing a nice little ballad, but that will never win it for us because there's going to be 20 identical acts going into the competition.

Meanwhile, Jedward have built on their last performance and been doing torus of Europe. Like them or not, the duo have spent a lot of time campaigning and pushing themselves on the mainlands, and that will only help when it comes time for other countries to vote. We don't have any popular, good singers left to send in this country, and if we've got to choose, I'd rather drop "good" than "popular", given it's a popularity contest...

What's not to get ? They're a pair of talentless idiots who at the most charitable with what comes across as having serious ADHD and can't string a sentence together to save their lives.

Fair play to them for finding a niche to e popular with the brainless text-voting kiddies, but my issue is that they get onto every TV and radio show going despite having nothing to say bar random American buzz-words and an inexplicable accent.

If any decent act got the same blanket coverage they'd be far more popular, but the Emperor's (Non) Clothing PR Consultancy has even worthwhile commentators wary of getting accused of "begrudgery" or exposing the deluded "you don't hate us you wanna BE us" lies.

No popular good singers ? I can think of plenty, only they wouldn't be seen dead on Eurovision because it's no longer even remotely about talent or songs.

Lapin wrote: »
    I only got back in time to see the Jedward song tonight (this wasn't planned - honest), and I hung around for the Sheen interview.

Just wondering - was there any mention of the late Noel Kelehan who died recently on tonights show ?

Given his contribution to many Irish Eurovision entries over the years, it would seem pretty poor form if there wasn't some recognition of the man tonight of all nights.

Hi Lapin,

yes, there was a brief mention of Noel Kelehan and his massive contribution to Eurovision at the start of the show,

It wasn't long but it was a decent tribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Denmarks entry sounds suspiciously similar to a chillout/dance track from the 90s. Can't think of the name right now.
    Probably Everything but the girl - missng

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Lapin wrote: »

Given his contribution to many Irish Eurovision entries over the years, it would seem pretty poor form if there wasn't some recognition of the man tonight of all nights.

Yes Marty Whelan mentioned him and they showed a picture of him. Marty talked about him for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭brian_t

Aertel is great for news.

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/301-01.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

We should of entered this into the eurovision - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ5AFxzY-nM

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Whats going on here who's behind this farce?? Is there any stewards inquires on offer. I watched tonight's events at a social venue and people were very upset when the result was confirmed. This country has suffered enough humiliation in the recent history so why prolong the suffering????

You know its hard to be P.C in these situations. We as a race have been softened and accept too much. Our forefather's wouldn't have stood for this crap....

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

How were these 5 songs shortlisted?

Who made the decisions?

Someone needs to be made responsible.

Whats going on here who's behind this farce??

Is there any stewards inquires on offer.

For anyone complaining about the quality of the songs…

This was nothing other than another RTE disgrace as 4 of the mentors were allowed to select/impose their own songs on the competition.

Which is like having builders running the planning department and we should know better than that by now.

So we get someone like Bill Hughes or Julian Benson who have no song-writing credibility whatsoever, getting a crack at Eurosong and The Eurovision.

And 2 songwriting teams from Sweden - who incidentally don’t allow non-Swedes to enter their own MelodeonFest/Eurovision Song Selection Contest - represented while no Irish songwriter of note gets a look-in.

Astonishing that RTE can’t/won’t find 4 mentors who will make it their business to find the very best song available instead of using it to promote theor own mediocre wares.

I don’t like Jedward but am pleased for Linda Martin who did her job as a mentor properly and professionally and listened to 100 songs for her act without trying to impose herself on the songwriting ticket.

Also, the Late Late studio is notoriously bad and flat for sound and every song sounded wooden and unspontaneous, with Jedward’s bad pitching at points being very obvious.

RTE holds people in other organisations and workplaces to account (in a highly aggressive and rude way - a la the modern media - at times) but can’t even hold an efficacious competition to select Ireland's entrant properly.

So the winning song - supposedly to represent the nation - usually comes via a small, well-connected clique in RTE.

What's Another Year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

If we win Eurovision, can we get to not have to pay the bailout back?

If no, then what's the big deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Jedward. Absolute heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

gammygils wrote: »
    The best song finished 2nd. I am surprised. The worst song finished 1st. I'm not surprised! I thought the second worst song (Song 2) would finish 2nd. Confused?

No, you're just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

What did I miss? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

You missed another big farce.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Jedward. Absolute heroes.

not really..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

if they win, they will be:D the money they will generate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Whats going on here who's behind this farce?? Is there any stewards inquires on offer. I watched tonight's events at a social venue and people were very upset when the result was confirmed. This country has suffered enough humiliation in the recent history so why prolong the suffering????

You know its hard to be P.C in these situations. We as a race have been softened and accept too much. Our forefather's wouldn't have stood for this crap....

Jedward did very well in Eurovision last year and did far better than many of the other entries we've sent in the last while. We certainly won't be humiliated.

As for our forefathers? The same forefathers who had us in thrall to a religious organization that systematically abused our very own children?
    Our forefathers would have been more likely to say "so what do you think of the entry, Father? What's the Church's stance on this song?"

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

RTE should be ashamed of themselves, are all their old cronies all on the JEdward payroll?
    Do Jedward actually sing that song?

All i see is 4, yes 4, backing singers doing all the vocals. A backing singer is there to help out and boost the chorus, not sing the whole bloody thing!
    A farce, completely and utterly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I went out to the pub last night, i take it that Jedward won.

Advertisement