Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Instances of Groupthink

• 22-02-2012 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within groups of people. It is the mode of thinking that happens when the desire for harmony in a decision-making group overrides a realistic appraisal of alternatives. Group members try to minimize conflict and reach a consensus decision without critical evaluation of alternative ideas or viewpoints.

One recent instance of it that I can remember was when liverpool fans and the club convinced themselves that their player (suarez) didnt racially abuse a rival player. Despite all the evidence that pointed towards his guilt, they convinced themselves that the evidence didn't exist and made up stuff like the guy that claimed he was abused (evra) had a history of playing the race card, even though he didnt.

Pearl Harbour is a famous example. Americans had convinced themselves that the Japs would never dare attack them. And even if they did have the balls to attack, the Americans once again convinced themselves that they would detect and intercept the attack easily.

Were you ever caught up in groupthink and look back now and realize how foolish you were, or can you think of other interesting examples of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Ireland: 2007. The Irish people thought themselves economically infallible, Employment was at an all time low, one of the highest GDP per capita thoughout the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Like everybody on Boards i thought your ma was hot was the reason to sleep with her but it turns that she's just a slut.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

What is this, business studies for the leaving cert or something? Next you'll be asking me to evaluate porter's five forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Yeah, when my twin said, 'Ooooh look at that, let's go investigate'.

Long story short, I'm alive now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Do your own homework OP!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

troll fail OP

or whatever it is you're trying to do.

people in general decline to recognise my awesomeness because they prefer to think I'm not that awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Group-think.
    Hive-mind.
    Sheeple.

Same thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Challenger Disaster is another example.

So is the "soft landing" term and subprime mortgages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon that occurs within groups of people. It is the mode of thinking that happens when the desire for harmony in a decision-making group overrides a realistic appraisal of alternatives. Group members try to minimize conflict and reach a consensus decision without critical evaluation of alternative ideas or viewpoints.
    Literally sounds exactly like every EU Approach to the recent crisis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Group-think.
    Hive-mind.
    Sheeple.

Same thing.

You're exactly wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Quite a bit of it going on in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

One recent instance of it that I can remember was when liverpool fans and the club convinced themselves that their player (suarez) didnt racially abuse a rival player. Despite all the evidence that pointed towards his guilt, they convinced themselves that the evidence didn't exist and made up stuff like the guy that claimed he was abused (evra) had a history of playing the race card, even though he didnt.

Pearl Harbour is a famous example. Americans had convinced themselves that the Japs would never dare attack them. And even if they did have the balls to attack, the Americans once again convinced themselves that they would detect and intercept the attack easily.

Were you ever caught up in groupthink and look back now and realize how foolish you were, or can you think of other interesting examples of it?
    Ireland: 2007. The Irish people thought themselves economically infallible, Employment was at an all time low, one of the highest GDP per capita thoughout the world.
    Hazys wrote: »
    Like everybody on Boards i thought your ma was hot was the reason to sleep with her but it turns that she's just a slut.
    What is this, business studies for the leaving cert or something? Next you'll be asking me to evaluate porter's five forces.
    Sindri wrote: »
    Yeah, when my twin said, 'Ooooh look at that, let's go investigate'.

Long story short, I'm alive now.
    troll fail OP

or whatever it is you're trying to do.

people in general decline to recognise my awesomeness because they prefer to think I'm not that awesome
    chin_grin wrote: »
    Group-think.
    Hive-mind.
    Sheeple.

Same thing.
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    The Challenger Disaster is another example.

So is the "soft landing" term and subprime mortgages.
    Anita Blow wrote: »
    Literally sounds exactly like every EU Approach to the recent crisis
    fedor.2. wrote: »
    You're exactly wrong

I agree with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I agree with this.

I agree with The King of Moo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

fedor.2. wrote: »
    You're exactly wrong

That's an odd statement.

How is universal consciousness wrong? Would you care to elaborate why I got it wrong? I think they're very similar if not the same. Educate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Fine Gael have the answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

People reading the OP and going :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 250 ✭✭DuPLeX

No NO No ! and I think everyone on this forum will agree with me when I say that this can never happen.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Groupthink is double plus ungood

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Nazi Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

DuPLeX wrote: »
    No NO No ! and I think everyone on this forum will agree with me when I say that this can never happen.

Why drag up a 3 month old thread just to post that?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Nietsczche put it well
    "Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule"

Groupthink is double plus ungood

Doubleplus 1

Why drag up a 3 month old thread just to post that?:confused:

? some debates have been going on for centuries . If the thread is closed then its closed if not well then It's not
    :cool:
    feel free to call me a troll and ban me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

DuPLeX wrote: »
    ? some debates have been going on for centuries . If the thread is closed then its closed if not well then It's not
    :cool:
    feel free to call me a troll and ban me

History, philosophy, enlightenment, it's all there. I'm blown away.

Shryke wrote: »
    History, philosophy, enlightenment, it's all there. I'm blown away.

Agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Can we all agree on the next post?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Advertisement