Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rat problem - recommended humane repellant?

Options
  • 22-02-2012 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Posting for my parents, who have chickens. Unfortunately they have rats now too (with a while but getting worse).

What ultrasonic device is the best out there that people have used or heard of?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

mumof2 wrote: »
    Posting for my parents, who have chickens. Unfortunately they have rats now too (with a while but getting worse).

Thanks

Better off just using a rat trap, more neighbourly than driving off rats into your neighbours!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Dad has the trap and has taken several rats away for a drive to a new home:D however theres too many now for that to work effectively.

They don't have neighbours to worry about with miles, and they live on a large area of land:)

Anyone used the ultrasonic devices to keep rats away? Or something that works for keeping rabbits away etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Get 2 Jack Russells !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Anyone used the ultrasonic devices to keep rats away? Or something that works for keeping rabbits away etc?

Ferrets!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The ultrasonic repellers can be a bit hit and miss, and humane traps just relocate the problem to someone else's house (providing they don't find their way right back). Snap traps or dogs really are your best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

A cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Im loving the answers:D

Mum doesn't want another dog.

They have a cat - and mum again doesn't want any more cats, (just lost one of two 15yr old so not active cat anymore).

My Dad would get a dog no bother, and doesn't seem to mind being tied to minding and looking after them instead of being able to get up and go when they want......

So it will be ultrasonic for now, and its up to them to sort out their difference of opinions:D

Thanks for all tips.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I would agree that the sure method would be a jack russel or a couple of farm cats so think your mom will have to decide which pet she wants cat/dog or a pack of rats.

A few things can be done to reduce make the environment unpleasant for a rat to stay around namely get rid of the food source and keep moving things around.

Rats don't like new things much so if your folks can have a look around the area and move things, reduce risk of nest areas, make noise etc.

The biggest thing is the food source though so they should make sure to remove eggs as quick as possible and reduce the food given to the chickens...feed them small amounts often rather than leaving feed. If they have a compost heap make sure they turn it as soon as.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If anyone you know has a terrier see if you can borrow them for a while; at least they should be able to track down the nest.

People recommend wire wool for blocking gaps when having mouse problems. I've never tried it with rats, but the thin wire may irritate their gums and deter them from chewing through it, just make sure they can't pull or push it out of the way. And keep an eye on any electrical wires; they can chew through those in no time at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Thanks

Ultrasonic devices have been shown NOT to be effective under scientific studies..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

If you know anybody that has ferrets, get some ferret poo and place it around the chickens.

Advertisement