Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ripplecom Con

• 22-02-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello,
    I just had to come on here and make a blog about my experience with ripplecom.
    Before switching to ripplecom, I first looked around online for information on what users were saying about the service, I heard good and I heard bad so I decided just to go with my gut instinct and go ahead and sign-up.
    Sorry I was..... But not at the start. And this is how the story goes...
    I started using the service in October 2011. And after having a 1 Meg fixed line connection this was a welcome change.
    Until around a month ago, when I downloaded, approx 120gig, and uploaded approx 40gig.
    My internet speeds dropped, to NOTHING, I couldn't even open speedtest.net to get a reading on how bad it actually was, it was worse than a drunk 56k modem.
    Called Ripplecom (Out of hours, and left messages), and then sent e-mails, and was ignored. This went on for over a week, and in the mean time I had to use my three internet dongle.
    Until finally "Colin" called, to "talk about the fair usage policy". Now I think most people know Ripplecom tout their unlimited download/upload when selling the service.
    But not when you actually use it. They cut me off, and then until I had this magic phone call with "Colin", I was switched back on, but slower.... Much slower.
    As I said above I was cautious signing up to Ripplecom in the first place, so I took the liberty to do a speed test before I even opened a single web page.
    I have uploaded this, and a more recent speed test. You may spot the difference.
    I also uploaded a recent letter from Ripplecom letting me know that, although initially they did not pass on the 2% VAT rise, they now they are, thus increasing prices.
    I have deleted my IP address from the test results as my personal details from the letter, for obvious reasons.
    Now before the replies, this is just my experience, and my 2 cents on Ripplecom.

Thanks all for the posts and the treasure trove of information that is boards.ie

Yours truly,

Ripplecon.

7637182.jpg
    7637200.png

7637207.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pauldaly1888

ripplecon wrote: »
    Hello,
    Before switching to ripplecom, I first looked around online for information on what users were saying about the service, I heard good and I heard bad so I decided just to go with my gut instinct and go ahead and sign-up.
    I started using the service in October 2011. And after having a 1 Meg fixed line connection this was a welcome change.
    Until around a month ago, when I downloaded, approx 120gig, and uploaded approx 40gig.
    My internet speeds dropped, to NOTHING, I couldn't even open speedtest.net to get a reading on how bad it actually was, it was worse than a drunk 56k modem.
    Called Ripplecom (Out of hours, and left messages), and then sent e-mails, and was ignored. This went on for over a week, and in the mean time I had to use my three internet dongle.
    Until finally "Colin" called, to "talk about the fair usage policy". Now I think most people know Ripplecom tout their unlimited download/upload when selling the service.
    But not when you actually use it. They cut me off, and then until I had this magic phone call with "Colin", I was switched back on, but slower.... Much slower.
    As I said above I was cautious signing up to Ripplecom in the first place, so I took the liberty to do a speed test before I even opened a single web page.
    I have uploaded this, and a more recent speed test. You may spot the difference.
    I also uploaded a recent letter from Ripplecom letting me know that, although initially they did not pass on the 2% VAT rise, they now they are, thus increasing prices.
    I have deleted my IP address from the test results as my personal details from the letter, for obvious reasons.
    Now before the replies, this is just my experience, and my 2 cents on Ripplecom.

Thanks all for the posts and the treasure trove of information that is boards.ie

Yours truly,

Ripplecon.

7637182.jpg
    7637200.png

7637207.jpg
    They are absolutely hilarious. I was on a contract for €25 a month.got a letter today that my fee would be going up to €29.99 a month as of from 1/3/2012. Also to that my unlimited download limit is now capped at 30gb p/m.oh how I laughed.i emailed them to say not to take a cent from my account on 1/3/12 as 7 days notice is not sufficient and also that they can take it I won't be a customer of theirs any longer after 1/3/12.if they attempt to take any money I will be starting proceedings in the small claims court.ive had to contact them approx 15 times since Christmas re the awful speeds.your man told me it was probably my router.cery funny altogether.this company will be gone in next couple of months.bye bye ripplecom

ripplecon wrote: »
    Hello,

Yours truly,

Ripplecon.

7637182.jpg
    7637200.png

7637207.jpg
    They are absolutely hilarious. I was on a contract for €25 a month.got a letter today that my fee would be going up to €29.99 a month as of from 1/3/2012. Also to that my unlimited download limit is now capped at 30gb p/m.oh how I laughed.i emailed them to say not to take a cent from my account on 1/3/12 as 7 days notice is not sufficient and also that they can take it I won't be a customer of theirs any longer after 1/3/12.if they attempt to take any money I will be starting proceedings in the small claims court.ive had to contact them approx 15 times since Christmas re the awful speeds.your man told me it was probably my router.cery funny altogether.this company will be gone in next couple of months.bye bye ripplecom
    By the way here is what they sent me.must be a different story for every customer .i think its absolutely hilarious. If they are supplying you with a service so poor you cannot operate broadband I'd advise you to notify them you are leaving as the contract is null and void as you are not receiving the product you are paying for. Block their dd payments and watch them bring you to court!!they won't unless they want to be laughed out of it.juat keep a few speed tests to prove your case

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just got a similar frakking letter from them, working by their maths I'll wind up spending 97 a month for broadband, once it's capped at 70Gb.
    My problem is I don't have any other options to use for Broadband out here in North Co.Dublin, as the exchange is too far to use Eircom.
    Not sure what to do aside from a strongly worded letter.
    Is this legal? To change the terms of our contract like that?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I just got a similar frakking letter from them, working by their maths I'll wind up spending 97 a month for broadband, once it's capped at 70Gb.
    My problem is I don't have any other options to use for Broadband out here in North Co.Dublin, as the exchange is too far to use Eircom.
    Not sure what to do aside from a strongly worded letter.
    Is this legal? To change the terms of our contract like that?
    They capped mine at 30gbs. Depends on what you signed.i signed mine with ice and they took over the contract.they are in breach anyway as they are not provided the service I signed up for as I am not recievibg broadband apart from about 6 days a month after I contuoninously complain and they mess around with my settings only for it to go back to being rubbish a couple of days later. Have you tried wimax

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,623 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No Wiimax in my area.
    My Mums phone line down the road can get Eircom, according to the tester anyways.
    Going to see about doing a few "tricks" and sharing the connection between us...
    Just found that the letter, dated the 8th of February, to their "valued customer", was actually sent on the 20th of February and arrived on the 22nd of February, scamming b@stards!

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No Wiimax in my area.
    My Mums phone line down the road can get Eircom, according to the tester anyways.
    Going to see about doing a few "tricks" and sharing the connection between us...
    Just found that the letter, dated the 8th of February, to their "valued customer", was actually sent on the 20th of February and arrived on the 22nd of February, scamming b@stards!
    Yeah my letter was the same.7 days isn't enough to notify you of a price change and a usage capping .they got an email from me anyway.ill be cancelling the dd tomorrow and have already ordered UPC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You can quit the service immediately if they change the contract terms.

Check with Comreg.

http://www.askcomreg.ie/home/is_my_service_provider_allowed_to_change_the_terms_and_conditions_of_a_package_i_have_signed_up_for_.1.202.LE.asp
    your service provider must also give you details of your right to withdraw from your contract, without penalty, if you do not accept the proposed change to your contract terms.

Also complain to and inform Comreg that your right to cease the contract immediately was not explained to you and that Ripplecom should reissue those letters of theirs with the correct regulatory information.

As PART of terminating your contract you may instruct them to cancel the Direct Debit. CC the termination and instruction to void their DD rights to consumerline@comreg.ie whn you mail them....so they know clearly.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    You can quit the service immediately if they change the contract terms.

Check with Comreg.

http://www.askcomreg.ie/home/is_my_service_provider_allowed_to_change_the_terms_and_conditions_of_a_package_i_have_signed_up_for_.1.202.LE.asp
    your service provider must also give you details of your right to withdraw from your contract, without penalty, if you do not accept the proposed change to your contract terms.

Also complain to and inform Comreg that your right to cease the contract immediately was not explained to you and that Ripplecom should reissue those letters of theirs with the correct regulatory information.

As PART of terminating your contract you may instruct them to cancel the Direct Debit. CC the termination and instruction to void their DD rights to consumerline@comreg.ie whn you mail them....so they know clearly.
    I emailed ripoffcom yesterday telling them that I had received their notice of the changes and that I was paid up until the 1st march but I would not be paying next months bill.they emailed me today saying that I have to give them 30 days notice as per comreg.i told them I would not be and when my bill period was up at the end of the month to cut it off. They then cut me off immediately.hilarious.i have given them half an hour to turn back on my service until 1st march or I will be contacting comreg and taking a case to the small claims court for loss of money through downtime since Christmas and the rest of the month.i don't care if it's only a few euro just to drag their name through the mud

Get onto them and formally complain ( cc Comreg every time as per above) now....the replies to your emails will be an important part of your Small Claim.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Get onto them and formally complain ( cc Comreg every time as per above) now....the replies to your emails will be an important part of your Small Claim.
    They have cut me off as I am refusing to pay an invoice dated 14/2/12. I've never before received an invoice from them but there you go. I will be informing comreg of their practices!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

Ah where did you lads see you will be getting a limit? I don't see it in that letter. Did you get a different letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ripplecon

Thanks for all the replies everyone. As per message above I am curious about the talk of capping. As I did not get this in my letter nor did I get a letter of this kind from Ripplecom.
    Anyone able to upload a copy of this letter (Remove personal details from it)

Thanks Lads!

Ripplecon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Don't have a scanner to hand, here are the salient bits from the letter:
    "From March 1st, your 8Mb/1Mb contended service will have a usage limit of 70 Gb per calendar month and the cost of your service will be €44.99 per month. Customers who exceed their usage limit will be charged at the rate of 1 cent (€0.01) for every 10 Mb above this limit. Customers who do not exceed their usage limit will only pay the normal monthly charge. For your information, you usage over the last month was [ ]. Ripplecom recognises that the new charges will increase the cost of our Broadband service."

Plenty more blah blah touting their VOIP service, Blueface is still better!

morgana wrote: »
    Don't have a scanner to hand, here are the salient bits from the letter:
    "From March 1st, your 8Mb/1Mb contended service will have a usage limit of 70 Gb per calendar month and the cost of your service will be €44.99 per month. Customers who exceed their usage limit will be charged at the rate of 1 cent (€0.01) for every 10 Mb above this limit. Customers who do not exceed their usage limit will only pay the normal monthly charge. For your information, you usage over the last month was [ ]. Ripplecom recognises that the new charges will increase the cost of our Broadband service."

Plenty more blah blah touting their VOIP service, Blueface is still better!
    I got something similar except my cap is at 30gb.id say it has something Ro do with the fact I'm paying less than the advertised price.when I attempted to leave before I was given a discounted rate

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

Has anyone successfully broken out of a contract with Ripple?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chedgers

My advice is to run away. If you are a dissatisfied customer, cut your losses now, it will only get worse. If you're not a customer, forget they exist! I have had months and months of frustration just trying to get a usable service, and I can see their antenna out of my window! They seem to be imploding, never get back, fixes don't work, they don't turn up when they say they will. I have taken several half days so that I can be at the house during THEIR work hours, and they just keep fobbing me off. My guess is they will not be around for much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

I was thinking of going with this crowd but you guys seem to have had real bad experiences with them. Is it that you are getting absolutely no spped at all or just round 4-5Mb not the 8Mb you were told?, or what was your limit? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I am still with them purely for lack of choice. Service has been reasonable lately, some problems, but liveable. They seem to have increased capacity recently because I am getting slightly better speeds (between 5 and 7 MB compared to an average of 4 MB previously). As a note, the 8 MB are the max speed you can expect, in practice you will not get that as it depends the number of users in your area using the service, your signal quality etc. The big gripe we had and still have was that they went from an unlimited data service to a capped service (70 Gig monthly allowance) AND increased the price to boot.
    The quality of service depends a lot on the area you are in, as Ripplecom is an amalgamation of smaller companies (I'm in a former (sorely missed, their customer service was second to none) Amocom area, North Cork) with very different infrastructures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chedgers

In my case they are happy that the service into the house is good, but apparently we are in a rare part of the country where wifi will not work, and it is therefor not their problem - we got a letter to this effect, i.e. they are not in breach of contract, just in case we would suggest that.

We have no land line or anything we're aware of that would affect wifi. In fairness it does work ok now with a wired connection, though it can be poor from Xbox, even though it is connected by wire (apparently games can cause "interference", even when connected by wire). Wireless doesn't work even right next to the router (ie it's not the walls). And the same devices work fine at other wifi locations.

They reckon that no router they can give us will work, but are willing to refund the one they gave us, if we find another that works. So, we're down to either running cables all round the house, or start buying new routers in the hope that one works. And live with the teenager deprived of his online gaming.

So, on that note, does anyone know if their theory of pockets of wifi-less-ness is true? I did google it, and there is talk of interference from other devices, and changing channels to fix this - which I tried (all channels) to no avail.

So jury still out on whether their service works, but it took months to get this far, and had to go nuclear to get them to actually work things out, so customer support gets v poor mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Aw Jez! I just don't know. Their mast is a good 20 miles away from where i'd be. Dont know if it'd be any use to me

• Advertisement

You might be in 'big farmer' country Chedgers and possibly even in North East Cork where be Pig Barons. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 micky the fish

Only just realised my contract has changed with them. Wouldnt recommned them. This latest move is a joke. Whatevers happening my limit is exceeded on the second day of the month. Looking for a different provider.

Advertisement