Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade and Retro podcast

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Enjoying listening to this, well done! V good audio quality too

Can I ask who are u hosting your podcasts with?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to ask Gavin who we are hosting it with but will get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Great job - I just finished the Lucasarts episode, and I'm going to work my way through the others. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Really enjoyed these. Like the one main theme per episode. Well done gents (and Sarah).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Only got to listen to half LucasArts earlier, but I enjoyed it. Plenty of knowledge and tidbits s of info for the listener!

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Listening now, sounds good. No introductions though, who am I listening to?

Edit: ah, went to the website, retrogamer and dinorex.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Lads lads lads tone down those sexy voices :pac:

Nah really, good show. Looking forward to more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Enjoying listening to this, well done! V good audio quality too

Can I ask who are u hosting your podcasts with?

It's just standard shared hosting... think I'm using Digiweb for these.

I have a premium soundcloud account now so may move to that for future episodes.

May have a new one up tomorrow about 8-Bit micros.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Will give it a go now, just listening to Sabres atm.
    Very suprised to find 2 threads about game shows from boards. within the last 10 mins

Episode 6 is now up... Also available on Soundcloud now.

http://arcadeandretro.com/arcade-and-retro-podcast-episode-6-8-bit-micros/

Toner_Island_Dizzy.jpg

• Advertisement

Excellent episode guys.... you really only scratched the surface though. Hopefully you'll do more on this topic!

As a massive fan of SID music, I loved the background tracks too. Time to blow the virtual dust off HVSC I think... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Mr E wrote: »
    Excellent episode guys.... you really only scratched the surface though. Hopefully you'll do more on this topic!

As a massive fan of SID music, I loved the background tracks too. Time to blow the virtual dust off HVSC I think... :o

Glad you enjoyed it and i agree that a lot more needs to be said about the 8bit systems.

Next there is a 2 part Zelda special that i had an absolute blast in the recording of.

On 8bit here is a program for you all to try
    10 Print "Boulder Dash";
    20 Goto 10

Run

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

These are great for me driving around Germany this week, thanks guys, makes it a lot more bearable :)

New one should be ready today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sorry for the hiatus but we are back. Part 2 of the Legend of Zelda podcast is now up and we should be recording at the weekend so hopefully no more big breaks!

http://arcadeandretro.com/arcade-and-retropodcast-episode-8-the-legend-of-zelda-series-part-2/

yRiID.png

Hands up who thinks Stephen really really loves Contra games? :o

Good podcast though.... what's up next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

what's up next?

They're doing a Pillow Pets Special

Hands up who thinks Stephen really really loves Contra games? :o

Good podcast though.... what's up next?

Yes I do! I love Gunstar Heroes more though, but only just :) Metal Slug also has a soft spot in my heart.

As for what is next, it's not been decided yet but we have plenty of ideas to try out, depends who we get into the studio.

• Advertisement

After a bit of a hiatus the podcast is back. This week we are discussing piracy but with a retro slant. We also have a two part sonic podcast we recorded weeks ago but were too busy/lazy to post up:

http://arcadeandretro.com/arcade-and-retro-podcast-episode-11-piracy-special/

pjnc59n0.jpg
    From schoolyards to Coffee Mornings, Dial up to internet, Double tape decks to CD rips.Piracy has always been rife in the Videogame industry.

In this Episode Gavin,Sparks,Retro and Sera discuss the history and effects of copied floppies, Duplicated Discs and of course recorded tapes.We also discuss emulation, roms and archives.

Remember Kids Piracy is illegal, immoral and you will go to hell.

Listened to it already this morning.... good job as usual. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Just listened to the LucasArts one. Turns out a lot of those point and click games had voice acting.... what the hell versions was I playing?! I don't remember any of that in Day of the Tentacle or Sam and Max! An excuse to replay them perhaps

Grimebox wrote: »
    Just listened to the LucasArts one. Turns out a lot of those point and click games had voice acting.... what the hell versions was I playing?! I don't remember any of that in Day of the Tentacle or Sam and Max! An excuse to replay them perhaps

You probably had the floppy versions. Fate of Atlantis was probably the earliest one with voice acting. Think a talkie version of that came out on CD-Rom in 1992.

Also configuring a sound card was a pain in the hole back in those days.

The original releases and Amiga releases didn't have voice acting, it was later CD-Rom rereleases that were talkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really good stuff, walked around town yesterday listening to the two Zelda podcasts. Almost made me buy a 3DS XL to play Ocarina again.

lcyP6.jpg

New episode up this time to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Street Fighter. Another thing to mention is that the Irish Fighting Game community is having a tournament in honour of the anniversary this Saturday which has the backing of Capcom. There are qualifiers for a competition in Paris and prizes include flights and accommodation for the event. Registration and details are at http://www.sf25.eu/

http://arcadeandretro.com/arcade-and-retro-podcast-epiosde-12-street-fighter/

CV3S5.png

Since it's Halloween and with the recent release of Resident Evil 6 we just had to look back at the series that coined the phrase Survival Horror:

http://arcadeandretro.com/arcade-and-retro-podcast-resident-evil/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Will give them both a listen now :)

Advertisement