Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon wetsuits

Options
  • 22-02-2012 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    I am looking for a second hand wetsuit for my first triathlon this year, was looking online for a new one but they seem very expensive for a beginner, I'm 5ft11 and should (hopefully) be around 85kgs by may, have any of you hardened triathletes got any old suit lying around that you could off load, willing to pay around 70euro plus postage.. thanks in advance
    Trig

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Wiggle have decent value "repaired" wetsuits. They only deliver to the UK, but could be of use if you know somebody you can get it shipped to.
    When looking at wiggle, make sure to change your country to United Kingdom otherwise they won't show up in the listings.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wetsuits/?s=repaired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bagsmcg

I bought from wiggle two years ago and they delivered maybe they have changed but they still email me. Suit I bought was entry level and is ok but a little stiff. Wish i had got a used suit instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

bagsmcg wrote: »
    I bought from wiggle two years ago and they delivered maybe they have changed but they still email me. Suit I bought was entry level and is ok but a little stiff. Wish i had got a used suit instead.
    The UK delivery restriction is only for "repaired" wetsuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

If you only want a wetsuit for the few days then Cycle Superstore rent them out for 5 days.

http://cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=75&idproduct=4471

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Thanks all,will try wiggle,looking for one for the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 CunningStunts

Check out http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=wetsuit&CategoryIDs=1492,2347&SortBy=Price before you buy.

I bought a Speedo last year having had a Zoot one for the previous 2 years and I much prefer my Speedo. Find it sleeker, more durable and easier to get on/off. Plus, I bought it with Chain Reaction and they had it delivered, for free, within 3 days and I got 60% off or something similar to the offers they have now.

I'm the same height as you but a couple of kgs lighter (now that is, last year I'd have been 84kgs) so I'll check at home to see what size my suit is and let you know as you should be a similar fit. I honestly can't recommend Speedo suits highly enough.

While I bought a new one, I also bought my younger brother an ex-demo model last year (he'd be an occasional swimmer) and he's had absolutely no issues with it. I haven't seen it but he's convinced that it's as good as a new one so maybe one of those ones would suit your budget more?

Check out http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=wetsuit&CategoryIDs=1492,2347&SortBy=Price before you buy.

I bought a Speedo last year having had a Zoot one for the previous 2 years and I much prefer my Speedo. Find it sleeker, more durable and easier to get on/off. Plus, I bought it with Chain Reaction and they had it delivered, for free, within 3 days and I got 60% off or something similar to the offers they have now.

I'm the same height as you but a couple of kgs lighter (now that is, last year I'd have been 84kgs) so I'll check at home to see what size my suit is and let you know as you should be a similar fit. I honestly can't recommend Speedo suits highly enough.

While I bought a new one, I also bought my younger brother an ex-demo model last year (he'd be an occasional swimmer) and he's had absolutely no issues with it. I haven't seen it but he's convinced that it's as good as a new one so maybe one of those ones would suit your budget more?

Thanks for advice
    Benn looking at those ones on chain reaction but they only seem to have xs and s left, unfortunately my left leg wouldn't fit into one of those..
    hopefully they'll have large back soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

There's a large in the blue seventy on the top row and a xl in the speedo str.

I bought the STR Pro last year for €130 so that's a great deal.

Trig1 wrote: »
    Thanks for advice
    Benn looking at those ones on chain reaction but they only seem to have xs and s left, unfortunately my left leg wouldn't fit into one of those..
    hopefully they'll have large back soon

There are Blue Seventy ex-demos in medium and large for just over €80 on chain reaction and you'd definitely fit one of those given their sizing chart.

http://www.blueseventy.com/docs/sizechart_wetsuits.gif

There are Blue Seventy ex-demos in medium and large for just over €80 on chain reaction and you'd definitely fit one of those given their sizing chart.

http://www.blueseventy.com/docs/sizechart_wetsuits.gif

Thanks cunningstunts- never thought of looking there, just picked up a blue seventy sprint medium/tall for 81 euro, should squeeze into it by the time the summer races come along, that is if i get into the hell of the west next time- logged on at 9.15 this morn and sold out already!!! thanks again

• Advertisement

Thanks cunningstunts- never thought of looking there, just picked up a blue seventy sprint medium/tall for 81 euro, should squeeze into it by the time the summer races come along, that is if i get into the hell of the west next time- logged on at 9.15 this morn and sold out already!!! thanks again

Yeah, a lot of people miss out on the "recycled" ones and to be honest you're probably much better off with one of them than looking to purchase a second hand one.

Hell of the West is tough to get into. If you're not logged on within 5 mins you can almost forget about it.

Hope the suit goes well anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

a xl in the speedo str.

I bought this one for €70 (thanks for the headsup!), but now that its delivered I see there's a small tear (2cm) along the leg seam. Should I send it back, or accept (and home repair) at that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I bought this one for €70 (thanks for the headsup!), but now that its delivered I see there's a small tear (2cm) along the leg seam. Should I send it back, or accept (and home repair) at that price?

I'd ring up CRC and talk to them. They are meant to be refurbished so I would expect any tears to have been fixed. If you were happy with the suit otherwise, and you think you might may more for another one, you might be able to agree on them sending you a tube of wetsuit repair glue (black witch or similar) to save them on postage and you can do your own fix. You'll also have the glue there incase of any other repairs in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

Wiggle have decent value "repaired" wetsuits. They only deliver to the UK, but could be of use if you know somebody you can get it shipped to.
    When looking at wiggle, make sure to change your country to United Kingdom otherwise they won't show up in the listings.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wetsuits/?s=repaired

Just resurrecting this thread.
    I checked the link and changed my country to UK, but there aren't any repaired ones there. Can someone else have a look and see if I've missed something?

if anyone is interested I still have a Quintana Roo speedsuit(wetsuit) for sale, bought it last year but never fit me and never will, its a long legged sleeveless QR wetsuit for someone very skinny and around 6ft... you'd really want to be around 65kg and around 6ft to fit into it, it has a few nail marks on it from trying to squeeze into it but besides that its fine, no reasonable offer refused as its only sitting in the attic.

What size does it claim to be? Just want to check their sizing chart.

And have you any photos? When did you buy it?

bought it off ebay last year,, on ebay it was down as "new, without tags", it looks new but has few nail marks due to people trying it on, it says medium tall, but it is very very tight, if you are anything over 68kgs your wasting your time, can post pics if you want

I'll take your word for it, I'm 72-ish kg so I'll let it go. Thanks for the quick reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

you'd really want to be around 65kg and around 6ft to fit into it, it has a few nail marks on it from trying to squeeze into it but besides that its fine, no reasonable offer refused as its only sitting in the attic.

Are you sure about the sizing Trig - I don't think even that skinny ginger BTH are those dimensions. There would be very few 6 foot 65kgs guys around unless you were in the Kenyan training camp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

im 6 1 and im 76 to 80 kg and ive the build of a brushhandle.. if theres anyone of that height and weight out there they wont be able to carry the wetsuit never mind try it on
    pity its sleevless cos i am on the lookout for one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

woody1 wrote: »
    im 6 1 and im 76 to 80 kg and ive the build of a brushhandle.. if theres anyone of that height and weight out there they wont be able to carry the wetsuit never mind try it on
    pity its sleevless cos i am on the lookout for one

Pipe down tubby :pac: , I'm 6'1 and 71kg, and you are unlikely to find a healthy person much lighter than me for my height. I personally would wear a sleeveless wetsuit as that would just highlight the twigs I call arms. :D

catweazle wrote: »
    Are you sure about the sizing Trig - I don't think even that skinny ginger BTH are those dimensions. There would be very few 6 foot 65kgs guys around unless you were in the Kenyan training camp

ok I'm not 100% on the height sizing, I did actually squeeze into it but no way could i zip it up...I'm 5ft10 so someone 5ft 10 and 70kgs it will fit....you could always cut the bottom of the legs off anyway, anyway if anyone is interested they can p.m. me- i'll give it away for a very reasonable price...will be at joey hannon at weekend if anyone wants to try it on..

pic of wetsuit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ah you bought off the pros closet, I use them myself - he usually has some great stuff

Advertisement