Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late for maths grinds?

• 22-02-2012 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭

I had my maths paper 2 mock today, and did paper 1 before the midterm. I'm quite confident that between the two papers, I failed, or at best I got a D. I've never had a problem with maths, always excelled in it before and got an A in the Junior Cert. I was getting As all through 5th year, then suddenly this year happened. There's been a change in teacher and I know that that is the reason why I'm doing badly. So is it too late for grinds? A family friend can help me out, they do engineering or something else along those lines, but I'd worry that they wouldn't be able to help with aspects on paper 2 such as probability and statistics. Basically, the problem is that the stuff isn't being explained to me properly, so I don't understand it as well as I should. And I can't just learn from the book either, I need someone to explain it to me. I'm doing honours, for the record, and really want to stick with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I'd say go for grinds if you can, it's definitely not too late.

If you can, use Eircom Study Hub too it's fairly good for Paper 1. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

Not on Eircom unfortunately but thanks for the reply! :)

Actually, does anyone know any good resources/revision books for integration? In school the book we use for Paper 1 stuff doesn't have integration in it so I find it really difficult to study for. I have Less Stress More Success for maths but I don't really like it, is there a better book out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

texts and tests 5 is good for integration, at least in my opinion, I taught myself integration using it and I found it pretty good, but I think integration is the only thing in it that's still on the course.

Thanks, I actually have Texts and Tests 4 for the rest of the paper 1 stuff and find it great, I'll have to try and track down a copy of Texts and Tests 5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MathsNerd31

Text & Tests 5 also has Sequences & Series and Proof by Induction. Both of these are still on paper 1. Surely if you're using Text & Tests 4, then book 5 should have been on your booklist?

• Advertisement

Text & Tests 5 also has Sequences & Series and Proof by Induction. Both of these are still on paper 1. Surely if you're using Text & Tests 4, then book 5 should have been on your booklist?

See that's one of the problems in the first place- we didn't have any book whatsoever until this year. We weren't even going to be prescribed one until everyone complained that we need a book, and eventually the teacher ordered in copies of T&T4 (We couldn't get it in a bookshop). So we never had a booklist for maths at all, the teacher's logic was "we didn't need one."

Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent there :o

EDIT: Also I don't think we're planning on doing Sequences & Series, people want to do it but the teacher says we won't have enough time to get it done. And I don't even know what Proof by Induction is :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Khan Academy is an excellent resource, it has videos for most topics on the leaving cert and they're very well explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 MathsNerd31

leaveiton wrote: »
    See that's one of the problems in the first place- we didn't have any book whatsoever until this year. We weren't even going to be prescribed one until everyone complained that we need a book, and eventually the teacher ordered in copies of T&T4 (We couldn't get it in a bookshop). So we never had a booklist for maths at all, the teacher's logic was "we didn't need one."

Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent there :o

EDIT: Also I don't think we're planning on doing Sequences & Series, people want to do it but the teacher says we won't have enough time to get it done. And I don't even know what Proof by Induction is :(

If the teacher is not covering Sequences & Series then he/she is not fulfilling the requirements of the course. I sympathise with teachers who struggle to get the course done but leaving stuff out should not be an option. The choice on the paper is there so that the student can choose, not the teacher.

If the teacher is not covering Sequences & Series then he/she is not fulfilling the requirements of the course. I sympathise with teachers who struggle to get the course done but leaving stuff out should not be an option. The choice on the paper is there so that the student can choose, not the teacher.

I completely agree. I think you can see why I'm so desperate for grinds! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

I was failing Maths up until Christmas, started Grinds and I'm now passing :D Tbh, I think they're brilliant but you're only gonna get out of them what you put into the. If your behind and won't get the course covered I'd say go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Wow that's terrible. I taught myself the whole course using texts and tests and I find it fantastic, I don't know what I'd do without it. I've never heard of a teacher thinking a book wasn't necessary.

Sorry I forgot about sequences and series being in that book :P

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

My advice: if it's not a question of capability and you genuinely think you can do it - Go for it!

I was an A grade student through till 5th year too. Lost all interest in school for a year and my wake-up was getting 23% in my mock papers. 2 months of solid work brought me up to a C1 with the real thing. (was so happy i rechecked it after and saw i had gotten 69%)

Having a bad teacher can be a real hindrance but dont let that stop you. Khan Academy was mentioned above. Its an absolute gem. Have often used it in college too for engineering work. A great resource. And btw, if you need a book , go get it asap. No point just thinking about it. I know they aren't cheap but it's a means to an end. If it gets you a grade that lets you do the course you want isn't it worth it!? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

I think I got a D at best in my Maths mock, I came out with a B2 in the LC & am in 3rd year of Engineering. If you have a family member who is an engineer, they probably can help, I know I had to do a probability/statistics module in college. Also, George Humphries runs a 2 day thing, 1 day before each LC maths paper, where you literally go through everything. & there are loads of people going around helping you if you go wrong. I definitely think that helped me. It's not too late at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

I had my maths paper 2 mock today, and did paper 1 before the midterm. I'm quite confident that between the two papers, I failed, or at best I got a D. I've never had a problem with maths, always excelled in it before and got an A in the Junior Cert. I was getting As all through 5th year, then suddenly this year happened. There's been a change in teacher and I know that that is the reason why I'm doing badly. So is it too late for grinds? A family friend can help me out, they do engineering or something else along those lines, but I'd worry that they wouldn't be able to help with aspects on paper 2 such as probability and statistics. Basically, the problem is that the stuff isn't being explained to me properly, so I don't understand it as well as I should. And I can't just learn from the book either, I need someone to explain it to me. I'm doing honours, for the record, and really want to stick with it.

I'm in the exact same situation for maths. I was getting A's right throughout fifth year. Got a new teacher this year and he's woeful- feel like I failed the maths in the mocks too.

If you can afford grinds, get them, even if there's only three months left. It would be a shame to drop to OL just because of the crap teacher you got landed with.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, some really good advice, and it's reassuring to hear from people who are finding grinds helpful :) I've been on to the person that can give me grinds, going to ring them again tomorrow to sort out when we can start. Also in the process of sorting out a book for myself!

So I got my papers back today - 39% overall. Failed by a single percent :( But I'm starting up grinds next week, have all the arrangements made. Hopefully they'll make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cillian95

Wow, I'm literally in the exact opposite boat to you.. I was failing last year and only copped on to myself this year. I started doing grinds about 2 months before the pres and came out with a B1.

My piece of advice would be to work almost solely from the exam papers, and without looking back, using examinations.ie to check and CORRECT your answers. Seriously, the same kind of stuff comes up year after year.

cillian95 wrote: »
    Wow, I'm literally in the exact opposite boat to you.. I was failing last year and only copped on to myself this year. I started doing grinds about 2 months before the pres and came out with a B1.

My piece of advice would be to work almost solely from the exam papers, and without looking back, using examinations.ie to check and CORRECT your answers. Seriously, the same kind of stuff comes up year after year.

Hopefully I can make some improvement like that! :) Thanks for the advice! For the moment I've been working through some questions in the book until I get to the end of a chapter, then blitzing through the exam questions. Working well enough so far!

Since this topic has been brought up again, might as well give an update - started grinds a few weeks ago, going really well so far! Find the teacher brilliant, he really knows what he's talking about, even though he's not actually a maths teacher. I'm also doing a revision course over Easter so that should make a difference too :)

Advertisement