Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mechanical Vs manual

• 22-02-2012 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Lads and ladies,
    I have a base price obtained from two plants both the same but one does the mechanical and the other manual grading.
    Just a few of my thoughts on it,
    • Thought the mechanical grading was compulsary
    • The manual grading was ok in the past as there was only U R O grades now there is 3 grades within a grade as in U- U= U= could the human eye determine 3 grades within a grade?
    Any thoughts and comments welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

scuggels wrote: »
    Lads and ladies,
    I have a base price obtained from two plants both the same but one does the mechanical and the other manual grading.

Just a few of my thoughts on it,
    • Thought the mechanical grading was compulsary
    • The manual grading was ok in the past as there was only U R O grades now there is 3 grades within a grade as in U- U= U= could the human eye determine 3 grades within a grade?
    Any thoughts and comments welcome.

I be trying to agree a flat price with the agent that has the manual grading very dodgy going for a base price when the factory is manual garding itself.Also make sure you get your check on the day and if you have a good few ask if you can see them being weighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

may I ask where in the republic is manually grading still in operation, I bet they offer the best price aswell :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

I talked to a fella recently who was very disappointed with the grades he got for a bunch of charlois he sent to one of the AIBP plants. Some graded as Os.

Then he stated he reckons he'd get a better price at the mart as the factory agents seem to be paying big money at the mart. He'd bring them except he hates the mart. He is also a small fish in a big pond, only finishing ~10-12 each year at a guess.

I've no experience of fattening so don't know how much merit there is in he's argument. I'd be interested to hear what others think. OP - it may be another option you could consider.

At the moment the mart wins hands down. A bunch of animals I bought last week the seller was €25 a head better of by selling them in the mart. People on here seem to have a fairytale imagination that all cattle buyers are the best of buddies

• Registered Users Posts: 38 scuggels

may I ask where in the republic is manually grading still in operation, I bet they offer the best price aswell :rolleyes:
    It is in a new plant in east galway only opened at christmas wont mention names there is other plants of the same group in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 scuggels

just do it wrote: »
    I talked to a fella recently who was very disappointed with the grades he got for a bunch of charlois he sent to one of the AIBP plants. Some graded as Os.

Then he stated he reckons he'd get a better price at the mart as the factory agents seem to be paying big money at the mart. He'd bring them except he hates the mart. He is also a small fish in a big pond, only finishing ~10-12 each year at a guess.

I've no experience of fattening so don't know how much merit there is in he's argument. I'd be interested to hear what others think. OP - it may be another option you could consider.
    Were the animals bought as calves or his own breeding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Were the animals bought as calves or his own breeding?

As far as I know he buys a few bullocks for fattening. I don't think he has cows. I've never seen his stock so can't vouch for the quality of the lot he sent to the factory.

It is in a new plant in east galway only opened at christmas wont mention names there is other plants of the same group in ireland

A sure you know what they say about cavan people :rolleyes:

Advertisement