Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

42,000 Irish are cheating online

• 22-02-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

So has the spread of broadband brought us this new social phenomenon?
    A MASSIVE 42,000 Irish men and women partake in extramarital affairs, it has been claimed.

Apparently the Irish are a bunch of cheaters thanks to a website that offers the chance to engage in relationships outside of marriage.

With 630,000 registered users from Ireland and the UK, IllicitEncounters.com helps people look for affairs online.

Scale

Defending the alternative 'match-making' service, Rosie Freeman-Jones revealed that she did not feel guilty about the site, which was founded in 2003.

Speaking on the John Murray Show, she admitted: "I don't think there is a great moral problem, we don't necessarily think an affair is a bad thing. I've been doing this job for four years and I sleep very well at night ... I am comfortable with it. People come to a site like ours simply because they want to feel they are not alone, if they are bored in their relationship. We recognise that this is happening and it is happening on a huge scale, our impact on marriages of the masses is very small.

"In a way it provides a bit of perspective. Once they have gone elsewhere they might think, no this is not what I want and that is a win, win for us."

Men are willing to fork out €100 per month to avail of the service, whether they're looking to flirt with a woman or engage in a full-blown affair.

Flirt

According to Ms Freeman-Jones, the majority of their users are aged between 35 and 40 and are financially stable.

"I think we have a tendency to demonise people who seek extramarital relationships and I think there is a fundamental problem with that.

"At the end of the day we are looking at between 40pc and 60pc of people who will cheat. You can either ignore it and say it is wrong and put it in a box somewhere or you can acknowledge it.

"Some people, maybe their confidence is low and they might come online just to flirt a bit.

"There are people who come looking for a specific type of relationship.

"I think there are quite a lot of things that motivate people and I don't think they are things you would expect.

"I don't think everybody using the site is missing something at home and that is something that is important to get across.

"These aren't people who are necessarily in an unhappy marriage but this a feeling among them that they get to a stage in their life where they feel as if they should be happy with their monogamous relationship and they are not and they feel confused and conflicted," she added.

labutler@herald.ie

Or is it just sensationalist journalism?

The numbers seem far too high to be credible.

Z

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

If you're a girl, why not PM me and we can have a little chat about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

How do I join....for eh....my....friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

vicwatson wrote: »
    And even if you're not . . . . . . . ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'd say a lot of the members are horny teenagers looking for a lonely housewife.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Is flirting online cheating now?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

And you can organise to meet her in some Topaz station .........Pedo :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I'm no girl, neither by gender nor age!

Z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Ah the Herald

So it must be true!!!!?:eek:

And remember 99% of Herald readers are ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Wonder would I be able to find a rich sugar daddy on there ....

But seriously it's madness, why cheat, if you wanna sleep around then be single just don't cheat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Zen65 wrote: »

Z

it's the decline of irish morals is the reason, joe.

i would think far more people use facebook to search for and arrange hookups than pay some website €100 a month, so those figures would be skewered towards the lower end of the scale tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Dean09 wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of the members are horny teenagers looking for a lonely housewife.

That is the exact reason why i joined adultfriendfinder all those years ago never got anywhere though:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Is that all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

42,001 I just joined :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Just a mirror of what happens daily in the real world. The amount of married women in my job who cheat with fellow workmates is startling tbh. I think a lot of married men that cheat think their wife won't for whatever reason but in reality they are just as likely to cheat as them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Yakult wrote: »
    Is flirting online cheating now?!

I don't know, but this bit:
    Men are willing to fork out €100 per month to avail of the service, whether they're looking to flirt with a woman or engage in a full-blown affair.

I just can't believe it. Those alleged 42,000 Irish people would be coughing up over €50m a year if this article is true. The total membership UK & Ireland would be paying €756M a year.

To flirt???? That would be madness.

I'm not really discussing the morality of the cheating (that's a different discussion and not for AH) I just am baffled that a journalist would report this without asking the simple questions like "if it's true, where is the money for this coming from?"

I suppose my point is that we are constantly being bombarded with utter rubbish by the media who are supposed to be informing us. This sensationalist journalism appears as one of the most trashy, lazy pieces of journalism I've seen in a while. If I were cynical I'd say it's nothing more than an unpaid advert for a dodgy website, which is trying to suggest that this sort of behaviour is normal.

"But honey there's 630,000 people doing it in Ireland & UK alone"

The article just tickled my cranky nerve!!

Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I think the traffic on IllicitEncounters.com is about to shoot through the roof!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭MaxyJazz

im a sugar daddy:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think men are great, but!!!!!!!!!!!

The site charges MEN 100 euro a month to join, but it free for women to join:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Z
    Not even sensationalist journalism.
    Smells like a press release from illicitencounters website.

Granted, I formed my opinion from the opening paragraph an read no more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

But seriously it's madness, why cheat, if you wanna sleep around then be single just don't cheat.

The safety of a relationship but the thrill of sex with someone strange.

Basically having their cake and eating it

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

No stinky finger...

then there's no cheating...

that's my policy!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've got a bag of rich sugar, howya fixed?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I just can't believe it. Those alleged 42,000 Irish people would be coughing up over €50m a year if this article is true. The total membership UK & Ireland would be paying €756M a year.Z
    Yeah, its bollocks. Even if it was true that's just 1% of Irish people which would have to be some kind of record as far as fidelity goes.

Won't stop the usual suspects lurching onto the thread mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Jake187

Im sure I wasnt the only one who went to the site after it was linked in the article ... :pac:

But yes. I call BS on it having 630,000 registered users. Alot seemed like ghost profiles to me. Thus I think this is more so an advertisment than an article.

As for 42,000 Irish couples willing to cheat? ... that number is too low to be credible. Alot of people doing the dirt these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

It´s an advertorial. Company sends on some PR guff to every newspaper in the country and a subeditor rewrites some sensational bullsh*t.

Duuh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Nice bit of marketing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

On the whole, hyped up numbers in reality.

For example, I registered to a number of sites (news, etc) to read their stuff - but that don't make me an avid fan or a person that wishes all the time to avail of their services.

I'm sure many have joined to do what they want to do, through the site in question - but I suspect there is also a considerable number of people that registered with the site possibly out of curiosity and nosiness - if only to see if anyone in their local area is also on it that they know! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

my guess is the number of 42k members is true...but how many are regular PAYING members.

I dont mind the idea of the site at all. imo, a marriage can be joyless or stale but there could still be love there, not to mention a family, that both adults dont want to see broken. a site like this is better than either partner trawling local nightclubs looking for an affair and the limits and rules are agreed in advance saving any potential eastenders moments down the line. i believe the owner when she says a site like this could actually help many marriages.

strange world out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

mariaalice wrote: »
    I think men are great, but!!!!!!!!!!!

The site charges MEN 100 euro a month to join, but it free for women to join:p

I've a brilliant idea! Let's kick off another sexism thread with this in the original post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Wow, exactly 42,000...imagine that.

If they just made up some random figure like 41,867 it would appear more believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Wow, exactly 42,000...imagine that.

If they just made up some random figure like 41,867 it would appear more believable.

it's common practice everywhere to round up and down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Yes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yes.

A load of boll*x... and the herald is known for its high standard of journalism too.

If they have to advertise the site using tripe like that, it means no one uses the site and they are trying to drum up business using by any means necessary. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement