Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS issue

• 22-02-2012 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

I have an issue with my laptop.OS-Vista

I am unable to access my wireless internet; it connects to the router but cannot connect to the internet.
    The router is working correctly as other PC it’s working fine. When I try and diagnose problems it says:

Cannot communicate with Primary DNS server (89.101.160.4).

I have googled the problem, but the issue still exists.

Could you help to fix the issue,please.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Have you tried manually setting the DNS server on the laptop?

Try using the Google OpenDNS server(s)

or

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Volter

CptSternn wrote: »
    Have you tried manually setting the DNS server on the laptop?

Try using the Google OpenDNS server(s)

or

Thanks for advise, CptSternn.

No, I didn't do that.

Could you explain please, how can I set mannualy the DNS server and where to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭mickzer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭johneire31

the problem could be on your router itself, log into your router configution page, you have an option to select the channel that your router works on. usually 1 to 10, some wireless cards will not work on some of these channels especially if they are a bit older, seeing as your running vista, i think this could be your likely problem. if its set high like 8 or 9, switch it to 2 or 3, save your settings on the router, it will restart and try to connect. This will not effect your other computers, they will connect normally. Try this for a few different channels.

or

right click on connection icon near clock, go to internet settings, click on the properties of your wireless card and look for the IP4 settings in the list in the box, click properties, make sure that you have 'automatically obtain IP address' selected, may need a restart,

or

may not be the issue either. Sometimes if it gets to be headache to connect, you can download the driver for your wireless card firstly, uninstall your wireless card, restart, install driver, enter password, try to connect.

Advertisement