Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphone recommendation needed....

Options
  • 22-02-2012 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

OK....the missus needs a new phone and I've waited about as long as I can stand for the iPhone 4S to come back into stock in O2 (either in a shop or online). So, I need a recommendation for "the next best thing to an iPhone is...". Requirements:

Billpay with O2
    Wifi and 3G enabled
    Touchscreen
    Relatively small form factor (some of those Galaxy phones are monsters).
    Will want to do a bit of email and web browsing but nothing serious.
    Inbuilt music player and radio would be handy....

Oh....and it has to be readily available!

Any advice appreciated.....thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

You could have a look at Nokia Lumia 800.

nokia-lumia-800.jpg

Class little smartphone thats easy to use and runs great, ticks all your boxes too :)

Will be launching on O2 in 8 days :) You can register here to get an email when it arrives and get a chance to win an xbox and xbox live gold membership too :)

Otherwise Samsung Omnia W should be out now and has similiar specs just less storage at a smaller price

Samsung-I8350_large.png

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/phones/samsung-i8350-omnia-w/202/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

I have a Nokia Lumia 800 for a couple of weeks now. I can say with great certainty that I regret buying it. Currently it is sitting beside my bed, plugged in, but dead. It will not switch on, or charge. When it is actually functional, the battery lasts about a day with light / moderate use, and that's with WiFi, Data, Location switched off constantly, except for when I need to check Emails etc. All of this is after they "fixed" their initial battery drain disaster when the phone was released initially last year...

There are other issues also; ****ty maps and navigation (compared to Symbian Nokias - Symbian I apologise for slating you, I take it all back :rolleyes:), poor camera etc. Read my review on the Vodafone website if you want to hear more.

It makes me sick to say this, but I should have bought an iPhone.

:mad:

Yes it is a beautiful phone, but it falls down on the fundamentals. I should have done my homework.

Good luck with your quest!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

My Lumia 800 works great!

AnandTech's extensive Nokia Lumia 800 camare and video test is a good article to read to see how the camera and video stacks up to the other phones.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/5266/nokia-lumia-800-review-nokias-brave-new-foray-into-wp7/5

Here's another good site where a comparison with the Nokia N9, Nokia Lumia 800 and the Panasonic Lumix Compact 10megapixel camera. Lots of test pictures to look at which show that the camera is far from poor.
    http://carman58.hubpages.com/hub/Nokia-Lumia-800-Camera-Comparison

If you are looking for the best camera phone, nothing beats the Nokia N8 and a new one should be announced at the MWC next week. Also there should be a batch of new Androids and Windows Phones announced there as well. Maybe hang on a week to see whats coming :)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭UnkieKev

I know you said the galaxies are monsters, but have you had a look at the galaxy s2? I'm using mine at the minute and absolutely love it. Great for surfing boards, email, radio/music. The screen is also fantastic, not a single flaw with the touch, and the swype keypad ( once you get used to it) is fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

What is the story with the lack of Iphones 4s's on Vodafone or 02 online on billpay ? do they not like making money ? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well, I've had my HTC Desire going on nearly two years and it's probably the best phone I've ever owned. I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to the newest version or an equivalent HTC model.

Well, I've had my HTC Desire going on nearly two years and it's probably the best phone I've ever owned. I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to the newest version or an equivalent HTC model.

You could have a look at this thread. One of the mods upgraded to a HTC Radar from the HTC Desire and was extremely happy with it :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056549893

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭jwb1

eom:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 laser750

Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my current android phone (HTC wildfire) and was thinking of the Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Nexus, HTC Sensation XL or the iPhone 4S.

I've heard of people having issues with the original sensation such as dropping calls and shutting down randomly :(:(

Which of the phones above would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

jwb1 wrote: »
    OK....the missus needs a new phone and I've waited about as long as I can stand for the iPhone 4S to come back into stock in O2 (either in a shop or online). So, I need a recommendation for "the next best thing to an iPhone is...". Requirements:

Billpay with O2
    Wifi and 3G enabled
    Touchscreen
    Relatively small form factor (some of those Galaxy phones are monsters).
    Will want to do a bit of email and web browsing but nothing serious.
    Inbuilt music player and radio would be handy....

Oh....and it has to be readily available!

Any advice appreciated.....thanks.

Why do you want to stick with O2? The data allowances with O2 are very low and not suitable for smartphones unless you buy add-ons.

A good option is the Samsung Galaxy S II, a phone that has won heaps of awards. It is free on certain plans with Tesco Mobile and 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

If your missus wants an iPhone 4S you'd be better off just waiting and getting her one of them, they are simple and easy to use, best supported devices with the most apps.

The only reason to look ay Android or WP7 devices is if she doesn't like the iPhone/iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

laser750 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I want to upgrade my current android phone (HTC wildfire) and was thinking of the Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Nexus, HTC Sensation XL or the iPhone 4S.

I've heard of people having issues with the original sensation such as dropping calls and shutting down randomly :(:(

Samsung Galaxy S2 for sure. Best specs for me.

Vahevala wrote: »
    laser750 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Samsung Galaxy S2 for sure. Best specs for me.

Specs aren't everything. First iPhones and Windows Phones had less power or lesser specs than Android phones yet both platforms were and are able to run hell of a lot smoother and in most cases faster than Android with top specs.

Advertisement