Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left hand shooting

Options
  • 22-02-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

i'm buying a semi auto shotgun soon does it really matter that i shoot from the left with the cartridges coming out the right side i shot a semi before and didnt really have a problem..

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I presume it's second hand, and the reason why you are not considering a left ported semi?

Other than the distraction of the shells should, God forbid, anything happen then your entire face is exposed as opposed to a proper suited semi auto where the port is faced "away" from your face.

The other issue could be fit. A right ported semi auto may have a chant on the stock to suit a right handed person so you may find you have to "crane2 to see along the rib.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mike91

is it not very hard to get a left hand gun and no its a new baikal mp 153 i looked at it today and it seemed to fit ok

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's not so much that they are rare merely that are 90% of people are right handed then the majority of dealers would cater to this as a leftie could be sitting in his shop for months/years,

My friend had this issue a while back and "suffered" with right handed ones for a few years until he took the plunge and bought a new benelli with left port. Not cheap, but no more than the equivalent in Beretta, etc.

So i would have a word with your dealer. I believe the MP153 do not come in a peft port nodel, but perhas there are other models/makes that do, and would be within your budget.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

If you can get a left handed one, go for it. If not, it's not as bad using a right handed auto as it is using a right handed bolt action. The cartridges will eject well forward of your face and shouldn't bother you. I used a right handed auto left handed for several years before buying a SxS; which is also right handed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Hibrion wrote: »
    If you can get a left handed one, go for it. If not, it's not as bad using a right handed auto as it is using a right handed bolt action. The cartridges will eject well forward of your face and shouldn't bother you. I used a right handed auto left handed for several years before buying a SxS; which is also right handed.

South paw here shooting a pump..

never bothered me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I'm a leftie shooting a right handed A391, the fit is perfect, no cast off. the port ejection doesn't bother me, but was giving some sound advice to never shoot it without glasses due to eye damage,

its my first shotgun, when i do change i will go for a new left handed semi

thanks everyone!! everyone on the internet seem to be saying the same if it doesnt bother you work away but if you do get the chance to get a left hand do. so i'll take that advice thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭kemen

id try and find a left hand semi if i was u! there made left and right handed for a reason!! keep looking and you'll find 1! "what if" the shell was to explode at the breach, might never happen but if it did id like it happening away from me and not towards me...

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

go to a range where you can fire 25 shells through a right handed gun, after 10 minutes you'll know if its going to bother you years down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I got a right handed mossberg pump action and never had any bother or never even noticed shells passing my face.

Just be sure the stock isnt made to suit a right handed shooter.

Another thing about mine is that the safety is infront of the trigger and i must flick it off and then move my trigger hand into the correct position. im so used to it now it doesnt even bother me and its second nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Southpaw here,born and bred shooting right handed, semi auto shotguns rifles and pumps.NEVER had a problem with shells hitting me ,even the AR10/15 model which throws its brass out in an extreme 5 o clock direction.

Only time it gets awkward is if you are doing a "speed reload" or a "tactical reload" IE changing one load in the chamber for another type.
    [Handy if you are loaded for pheasent and a fox comes by.;):D]
    But its a by the by and not an everyday occurance in shooting right handed semis left handed.:)
    If you like the gun,if it fits you ,work away.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

mike91 wrote: »
    i'm buying a semi auto shotgun soon does it really matter that i shoot from the left with the cartridges coming out the right side i shot a semi before and didnt really have a problem..

no problem, have semi auto's for last 35yrs all makes and models,always shot left handed with right handed semi's never had a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

I'm also left handed and shoot a left handed Benelli

I also have a left handed Bettinsoli O/U

I also have a left handed .22 LR Savage

I had a left handed Remington 870 pump action before that.

I would alway buy a left handed gun if left - handed.....why not get a gun perfectly suited to you.........you'll keep it for years when it suits you.

I've also shot right - handed pumps & semi's......not much of a difference but you have to twist the gun sideways to alter switching the safety....you get used to it after a while.

The big problem I found with shooting a right handed semi in windy conditions is you can get some fragments of burnt gunpowder blowing back into your eyes from the chamber.....happened me once.....never want to experience it again.....very, very irrating!!!!!

My attitude is why should you twist the gun sideways and have a cartridge ejecting from the 'wrong' side when there's a gun perfectly suited to you available out there?

A few friends of mine couldn't understand why I was bothered searching for a left handed semi, when I was purchasing........'it's the same...just get used to the safety'.

When I bought the semi I let them try it for size.......then they could see the difference.......... with the chamber on the 'wrong' side for them ......cast awkwardly for them .............and having to turn the gun upside down to activate the safety. Only then could they admit that I was right in buying it for the extra few bob.

The cheapest way of buying a gun is buy the best, most suitable one initially, rather than buying a gun to get you by and not 100% happy with it...selling it (usually at a loss).....and then buying the one that suits.....an expensive way of doing it.

Buy the gun that suits & fits you perfectly
    and keep it for ever.....you'll never regret the few €uro extra over the years.

New left handed guns are dearer than right handed but there isn't much of a difference second - hand.............a dealer will want to sell it rather than risk having it on the shelf for a long tme for another left handed shooter to come along.

If I were you I'd defintely handle & try a left -handed gun before purchasing..............feel the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sound advice,just betimes not very practical..In all my years here I've yet to come across a 2nd hand lefty gun in any Irish gunshop..:(.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Sound advice,just betimes not very practical..In all my years here I've yet to come across a 2nd hand lefty gun in any Irish gunshop..:(.

Your right - they are rare & hard to come by but more & more left hand guns seem to be out there and may become available - alas in small quantities.

Hiiltop Quad in Wicklow has a camo semi Benelli (not on his site)

http://www.hilltopshootingsports.com/

and side by side here

http://www.sportsden.ie/aya-28-left-hand-side-by-side.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Im actually surprised when it comes to rifles that right handed folk dont shoot left handed rifles.. vica versa.. The idea of a LH rifle doesnt run with me at all!!

aurin07 wrote: »
    Im actually surprised when it comes to rifles that right handed folk dont shoot left handed rifles.. vica versa.. The idea of a LH rifle doesnt run with me at all!!

For a left handed person it's handier to have the bolt & safety on the left hand side. A left handed person can fire a right handed gun and vice versa with some adusting and turning to pull bolt, shift safety etc. but if there's a model designed to suit your dominant side why not go for it.

rifle-1-1.jpg

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

i'm finding it hard to find one myself plus i didnt want to break the bank with a new one, i'm sure sometime i will try and get a new left hand gun but until i have the funds (maybe for christmas) i think i'll be happy enough with the one im getting thanks everybody by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

There were a couple of left handed semis in Hilltop a while ago. Bit of a long way from Clare 'tho!

Still, it might be worth giving them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GtotheD

have to say, left dominant for absolutely everything..I've always shot right-handed (starting with my father's gun), o/u and semi-auto..the idea of a left facing port seems totally strange to me.. but then i suppose it's what you get used to :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Slug chucker

Hi Mike91,
    I'm a leftie, most my firearms are left handed.
    Three things I've noted over the years of usage left V's Right handed guns:
    1. I used to have a Brno .22 semi automatic as a nipper (right handed rifle), when shooting into a strong wind the spent case residue sometimes went into my eyes and it irritates your eyes something fierce.
    2. Left handed guns are a buyers market in the sense that gun shops are not really interested in them as they take a long time to shift (we apparently represent only 10% of the population) so therefore they usually give you a poor price for them unless they have a buyer lined up.
    3.Safety’s on semi's and pumps can be a problem, check if you can operate it easily without having to take your hand off the grip. If not check if you can get a reverse one on the net before you buy. (I did this for a rem 870 I own, really increased my reaction time)

So basically if your happy with the gun buy it, if you really want a left hand gun be prepared to hang on to it.
    Cheers,
    Slug

Advertisement