Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

council vehicles and parking

• 22-02-2012 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

Are council vehicles exempt from parking laws, can they park on double yellow/footpath

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭source

Are council vehicles exempt from parking laws, can they park on double yellow/footpath

Not under the Road Traffic Acts as far as I know, but may be under local by-laws, It would be a bit stupid for the council to pay a fine for parking to the council wouldn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

source wrote: »
    Not under the Road Traffic Acts as far as I know, but may be under local by-laws, It would be a bit stupid for the council to pay a fine for parking to the council wouldn't it?

It's the driver who has to pay the fine not the council and if they aren't keeping track of who's driving which vehicle then there are bigger issues.

The only people who don't have to obey the traffic laws are Gardaí. I'd hope Fire engines and ambulances are exempt when on blues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

source wrote: »
    Bye-laws generally can't make legal something that is otherwise illegal.

Common sense tends to apply, that is except when the "just have to pop in here for a minute".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

Victor wrote: »
    Bye-laws generally can't make legal something that is otherwise illegal.

Common sense tends to apply, that is except when the "just have to pop in here for a minute".
    ordinary peole who have to "pop in for a minute" get a ticket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

If carrying out Road Works or are removing another vehicle they are exempt.

Any vehicle unloading goods for less than 30 mins can park on a double yellow oo.

All the rules are here:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JSawtc

Any vehicle unloading goods for less than 30 mins can park on a double yellow oo.
    That's why double red lines should be introduced for specific areas.

Advertisement