Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albums You Think Are Absolutely Perfect

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Kess73 wrote: »
    Love Paradise Lost and Fields of The Nephilim. The former I have been listening to since their more death metal days 20 odd years ago. I think Paradise Lost have recorded some songs since Draconian Times that are better than what is on DT, but as an album they have not matched it yet.

As for Somewhere In Time. For me it is Maiden's high water mark. Just no weak track on it. Blows away every album that followed it with some ease, even the excellent Brave New World.

Youthanasia I love and like you I can listen to hit all every time I put it on and never want to skip a track. Rust In Peace comes close though.

I agree, and I don't know why 'The Number of The Beast' is rated so highly by everyone, including journalists. I think that 'Killers, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son' blow 'Number of The Beast' out of the water musically and lyrically as well. Don't get me wrong 'Number of The Beast' is a great album, but I personally think that 'Invaders, 22 Acacia Avenue, Eclipse and Gangland' are weak songs whereas 'Children of The Damned, The Prisoner, Run To The Hills, Number of The Beast and Hallowed Be Thy Name' are the most outstanding songs. For me personally 'Somewhere in Time' and Seventh Son' are the most impressive and most consistent albums of the 80's. Both albums have no weak songs for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Obviously there are loads in many genres, but here are a few rock and metal albums that spring to mind...

In Flames - Clayman/Colony/Come Clarity/Soundtrack to Your Escape/A Sense of Purpose/Sounds of a Playground Fading/Whoracle
    Dream Theater - Images and Words/Octavarium/Scenes from a Memory/Train of Thought/Black Clouds & Silver Linings
    Korn - Take a Look in the Mirror
    Trivium - Ascendancy/In Waves
    Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos/Stabbing the Drama/The Panic Broadcast
    Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress/Holographic Universe
    System of a Down - System of a Down/Mezmerize/Hypnotize
    Enter Shikari - Enter Shikari/A Flash Flood of Colour
    Lostprophets - Start Something
    And So I Watch You From Afar - Gangs
    Amorphis - Skyforger
    Biffy Clyro - Blackened Sky/The Vertigo of Bliss/Infinity Land/Missing Pieces/Only Revolutions/Lonely Revolutions
    The Bravery - The Bravery
    The Fall of Troy - Doppelganger
    Fighting With Wire - Man Vs. Monster
    Jawbox - Jawbox
    Opeth - Ghost Reveries/Watershed
    Adebisi Shank - This is the Second Album of a Band Called Adebisi Shank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Colors+-+Between+the+Buried+and+Me.jpg

Colors by Between The Buried and Me is the most correct answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Colors by Between The Buried and Me is the most correct answer.

Dammit Jim, he's right...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sitting-Bull

I'm not really a Machine Head fan, but this album is perfection:

tumblr_ljo0e5QtH61qdz27y.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Van Halen - Van Halen

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In no particular order

Jeff Beck - Guitar Shop
    Faith No More - Angel Dust
    Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese
    Rush - Permanent Waves, Presto
    The Mothers of Invention - We're Only In It For The Money
    Iron Maiden - Powerslave
    Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight
    Yes - Close To The Edge, 90125
    The Beatles - Revolver
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black, Red, Discipline, Thrak

I can't think of a single Dream Theater album that's perfect, they all have something I don't like, but Awake would be the closest.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I agree, and I don't know why 'The Number of The Beast' is rated so highly by everyone, including journalists. I think that 'Killers, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son' blow 'Number of The Beast' out of the water musically and lyrically as well. Don't get me wrong 'Number of The Beast' is a great album, but I personally think that 'Invaders, 22 Acacia Avenue, Eclipse and Gangland' are weak songs whereas 'Children of The Damned, The Prisoner, Run To The Hills, Number of The Beast and Hallowed Be Thy Name' are the most outstanding songs. For me personally 'Somewhere in Time' and Seventh Son' are the most impressive and most consistent albums of the 80's. Both albums have no weak songs for me.

Killers would be my second favourite Maiden album, and it is just a notch below Somewhere In Time for me. Powerslave also came very close to being on my list.

Cannot totally agree with you on Seventh Son though. Depending on my mood I find myself skipping a track or two when I listen to the album. The Clairvoyant being a song that has suffered from being played too much live imho, and Only The Good Die Young gets skipped at times by me as well. I think it is still a good album, but one that can sometimes sound a little dated depending on my mood.

I have a soft spot for Beast. It was the album that really got me into Maiden and the first Maiden album that I got whilst it was still their most recently released album. For me Gangland is the only weak track. (I don't regard Total Eclipse as a proper album track as in the LP version I got in 1982 it was not on the album, and it only became an album track when the album was reissued in the 1990's. But Beast does not make my list because unlike Killers and Somewhere In Time I cannot always listen to it from start to finish every time I put in on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

If we're going by the OPs original description of perfect, with no tracks out of place, I'd go with:

Opeth - Still Life
    Dream Theater - Awake
    A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
    Amon Amarth - With Oden on Our Side
    Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
    Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon

All I can think of for now.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
    Listening to this a lot lately, such a good album

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I must be in a pedantic minority in that I don't think I'd class any album as perfect.

Malice wrote: »
    I must be in a pedantic minority in that I don't think I'd class any album as perfect.
    I agree to a certain extent, I certainly wouldn't have a huge list. Some albums though seem impossible to find fault with and are just mind-blowing.

Mind blowing does not equal perfect though. Don't get me wrong, albums that have been mentioned already like Burn My Eyes, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are brilliant. They're just not perfect in my opinion. Ride The Lightning, for example, is a bit short and has at least two songs on there that are noticeably weaker than the others.

Ride The Lightning, for example, is a bit short and has at least two songs on there that are noticeably weaker than the others.
    I did say impossible to find fault with as well in fairness :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

3583.jpg

Pixies-Doolittle.jpg

sound-affects-e1287067757672.jpg

album_Fleetwood-Mac-Rumours.jpg

709208.jpg

Mind blowing does not equal perfect though. Don't get me wrong, albums that have been mentioned already like Burn My Eyes, Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are brilliant. They're just not perfect in my opinion. Ride The Lightning, for example, is a bit short and has at least two songs on there that are noticeably weaker than the others.

A perfect album, for me anyway, is one that I can listen to year after year without wanting to skip a track.

An album that regardless of when I play it I want to hear every track. An album that flows just right for me.

A perfect album can, again imho, have some tracks that are better than others on it, but all tracks on it are good at the very least.

That would be pretty much how I approached my list anyway, because if one was to try and list the perfect album where each track was totally equal, then I reckon this would have been a very short thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

These are albums that I'd rarely skip songs when I'm listening to them:

Master of Puppets - Metallica
    Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
    Scary Monsters - David Bowie
    Low - David Bowie
    Station to Station - David Bowie
    Diamond Dogs - David Bowie
    Axis: Bold as Love - Jimi Hendrix
    Funkadelic - Funkadelic
    Free Your Mind and Your Ass Will Follow - Funkadelic
    Surrealistic Pillow - Jefferson Airplane
    Purple Rain - Prince
    Mutantes e seus cometas no país do Baurets - Os Mutantes
    Jardim Eletrico - Os Mutantes
    Goo - Sonic Youth
    Fear of Music - Talking Heads

I did say impossible to find fault with as well in fairness :p
    :confused: I don't understand what you mean.

:confused: I don't understand what you mean.
    Well you pointed out 2 perceived faults with Ride the Lightening (Bit short, 2 weaker songs). My point is, for me, some albums you would struggle to make any criticisms like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Well you pointed out 2 perceived faults with Ride the Lightening (Bit short, 2 weaker songs). My point is, for me, some albums you would struggle to make any criticisms like that.

I love 'Ride The Lightening' and for me there are no weak songs at all. Even 'Trapped Under Ice' and 'Escape' are fantastic songs. I much prefer 'Ride The Lightening' to 'Master of Puppets' because I never liked 'Damaged Inc' or 'The Thing That Should Not Be'. I don't think I'm all that mad about 'Leper Messiah' all that much either. Otherwise 'Battery, Master of Puppets, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), Disposable Heroes and 'Orion' are the most stunning songs for me. Again it's down to personal taste.;)

• Advertisement

RTL is definitely my favorite Metallica album, not mad on Escape though myself, which move its form perfect to 9/10 really :p. Is defintey about personal opinion though, few albums posted I was quite surprised at, but to each his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Death - Leprosy
    Clutch - Transnational Speedway League
    DEP - Irony Is A Dead Scene
    Black Flag - My War
    Metallica - MOP/AJFA
    Mastodon - Remission/Leviathan/Blood Mountain/Crack The Skye (fanboi alert!)
    Strapping Young Lad - Alien
    Mr Bungle - California
    NIN - Downward Spiral/With Teeth
    Pig Destroyer - Phantomb Limb
    QOTSA - Rated R

Im a huuuuge FNM fan but for Angel Dust to be perfect, you'd have to take off the two covers and replace them with 'The World Is Yours'(imo;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Deftones - White Pony
    36 Crazyfists - A Snow Capped Romance
    Alexisonfire - Watch Out!
    After the Burial - Rareform
    ASIWYFA - Gangs
    Rival Schools - Pedals

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

These are albums that I'd rarely skip songs when I'm listening to them:
    Funkadelic - Funkadelic
    Free Your Mind and Your Ass Will Follow - Funkadelic

I dont think theres any way I could disagree with these choices, serious quality in those albums man! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Metallica - Metallica
    AC/DC - Black Ice
    Iron Maiden - Brave New World
    Evanescence - Fallen
    Within Temptation - The Silent Force

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

Perfect is in the ear of the listener & what perfect really means to them so...

These albums, in no particular order, for what the meant to me when they came out. 'Perfect' in the moment as a whole than broken down song by song:

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    Ground Zero for Heavy Metal

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
    Sledge hammer R&R blues

Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd
    A woven story of tunes

Made In Japan - Deep Purple
    The benchmark of live recordings with virtuoso guitar work by Blackmore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Perfect is a strong word. I like many of the albums mentioned so far, but am amazed that the only album I would actually consider to be entirely flawless has not yet been mentioned:

<big pic of Ritual de lo habitual>

Perfect is a strong word. I like many of the albums mentioned so far, but am amazed that the only album I would actually consider to be entirely flawless has not yet been mentioned:[QUOTE/]

Nope it has not, but at least the band have had a mention in the thread before your post. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Yeah, someone mentioned 'Strays'? Bizarre choice. I thought it was desperately disappointing.

• Advertisement

My point is, for me, some albums you would struggle to make any criticisms like that.
    But I wouldn't struggle, that's my point. There is no such thing as a perfect album.

Advertisement