Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fás (ECDL) online course.

Options
  • 22-02-2012 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Has anyone completed a Fás online course? Thinking of applying for the ECDL course,
    but not sure how it is monitored/run. Do you need a webcam, or is general interaction with tutors assigned through email only? How many hours per week do online courses consist of, and is it more difficult to do online, than in a training centre. I have never done an online course before, so if anyone has any information/advice it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!! Also, what operating system is required to facilitate programs for such a course. Currently running OSX Tiger. Sláinte:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

Has anyone completed a Fás online course? Thinking of applying for the ECDL course,
    but not sure how it is monitored/run. Do you need a webcam, or is general interaction with tutors assigned through email only? How many hours per week do online courses consist of, and is it more difficult to do online, than in a training centre. I have never done an online course before, so if anyone has any information/advice it would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!! Also, what operating system is required to facilitate programs for such a course. Currently running OSX Tiger. Sláintesmile.gif
    Ok, I did this course online with Fás last year. I even started the qualification in Cork then moved up to Sligo and completed the course there. It took me about 6 months to do all the units online and everytime I finished a unit I went into my nearest test centre to take the test. At the end I was awarded the ECDL certificate. I simply went in to see Fás and they set me up with passwords and told me how to use the site. You don't need a webcam. It is interactive and you can use the online tutors for help but I didn't use them at all. You can do the course at your own pace but I think you have to complete the whole course within so many months before your log on no longer works. Can't remember how long you get so ask Fás. The only big difference between attending somewhere and doing it at home is you have to be much more motivated and you don't have the support of the other students but this didn't bother me and I knew I could do the qualification quicker by myself. My operating system was windows 7. I've looked on the Apple forum and they say your system will work but you should be able to open it up using Bootcamp (that would be windows running on your Mac). One other thing - I recommend you get an ECDL book to help you through the units as I feel without this my results would not have been as good. My version was ECDL COMPLETE GUIDE SYLLABUS 4 for windows XP and Office 2003 ISBN 0-9539454-7-2. Hope this all helps and good luck smile.gif.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Serpication27

Wow!! First off, Thank you so much for your informative and quick response!! To be honest, I was a little perplexed by the whole formality, but thanks to you it seems like a course worth doing. I had actually considered doing this course previously, but had too many commitments, and right now seems like the best time. It actually sounds pretty flexible and not at all how I imagined, which is excellent since I usually fold under time constraints. Motivation on the other hand may be a little bit more difficult to negotiate, as I tend to procrastinate more often than not lol;-), but strangely I work best alone also, and this option would certainly be more convenient. I may give fás a shout during the week and see how i'm fixed overall, and hopefully commence by the end of the month. I would like to thank you once again for your phenomenal support, and equally wish you every success in the future. You Rock!!:)

Wow!! First off, Thank you so much for your informative and quick response!! To be honest, I was a little perplexed by the whole formality, but thanks to you it seems like a course worth doing. I had actually considered doing this course previously, but had too many commitments, and right now seems like the best time. It actually sounds pretty flexible and not at all how I imagined, which is excellent since I usually fold under time constraints. Motivation on the other hand may be a little bit more difficult to negotiate, as I tend to procrastinate more often than not lol;-), but strangely I work best alone also, and this option would certainly be more convenient. I may give fás a shout during the week and see how i'm fixed overall, and hopefully commence by the end of the month. I would like to thank you once again for your phenomenal support, and equally wish you every success in the future. You Rock!!:)
    No problem. People have been very helpful/supportive to me on this forum too so glad to help. The course is very flexible but like I said do ask about the timescale you have in which you have to complete the course as I remember there was one. What I did is I set myself to do a unit a month, I think there's 7 units (some easier than others), then I really stuck to the timetable I set myself and found I got the units done quicker than planned. Like any online course though, motivation is the key or you will let it slip and then you'll never finish it. So when there's times you can't be bothered or your struggling alittle, and there will be, make the course priority because it's for your benefit and no one elses at the end of the day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Serpication27

scoob70 wrote: »
    No problem. People have been very helpful/supportive to me on this forum too so glad to help. The course is very flexible but like I said do ask about the timescale you have in which you have to complete the course as I remember there was one. What I did is I set myself to do a unit a month, I think there's 7 units (some easier than others), then I really stuck to the timetable I set myself and found I got the units done quicker than planned. Like any online course though, motivation is the key or you will let it slip and then you'll never finish it. So when there's times you can't be bothered or your struggling alittle, and there will be, make the course priority because it's for your benefit and no one elses at the end of the day. :D

Awesome advice!!:) Yeah, it would certainly be best to have a realistic target and achieve the objective in due course, as opposed to rushing through it. So, one unit per month would be excellent provided it's within the allocated timescale, and I may even draw up a weekly schedule to keep on top of things. The only problem I have now is not enough disk space to partition the drive for windows, so either I optimize it's current setup, or install a new hd lol!;-) It's the little things that can catch you out. I must also definitely purchase the book you recommended, and give it a once over every now and again.

Your advice has been invaluable, and I am considerably grateful that you took the time, to address such an issue. Thank you so much:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Do you complete the tests online or do you have to go into the FAS test centre to do the actual test there?

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Do you complete the tests online or do you have to go into the FAS test centre to do the actual test there?

Hi Jackass
    There are some mock test questions at the end of each unit, but you have to go to a test centre to actually sit the test. This is because the test is timed and FAS want it done under exam conditions I guess. You get your results straight away - so that's good. Test centres can be based anywhere. They're in schools, adult learning centres, libraries as well as FAS centres, so check to see where the nearest is to you.

Advertisement