Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV SHOW: AMERICAN GUNS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Alan 1990

The Owner is full of sh*t and acting mad that he could hit a bowling ball at 400yds with the Barrett 50cal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

While in gest lets remember we have a number of lady members that may not appreciate certain comments.

Lets keep it clean.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Ezridax wrote: »
    While in gest lets remember we have a number of lady members that may not appreciate certain comments.

Lets keep it clean.

my bad, sorry, I gets excited at times :o

Lets keep it clean.

Apologies ez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Lets keep it clean.

Yah sorry about that, should have thought about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I had high hopes for this series after the first episode but that went down the pan after last nights dross. From Rich's over-the-top-ness to the usual pyrotechnic mayhem and the least believable preacher it descended into farce.
    Who in there right mind would pay up to $15k for a custom revolver when a gold plated Desert Eagle was priced at $2070. And the guy with the two Barretts deserved a slap. To tell a gunsmith that he couldn't fire off a round after working on his rifles was some cheek. I know it was for the cameras but still......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

recipio wrote: »
    :D Probably not the right forum but has anybody seen 'American guns' on discovery at 10.00 Wed nights.?
    Check it out ( no, not the blonde mother and daughter )
    It features a family of real gunsmiths who actually take us through making a gun from scratch.Tonight it was a colt .45 made for a 'preacher' for a mere $10,000 and he was getting a bargin price !
    A couple of Barrett .50 cals were being engraved for good measure.
    Its the best of the 'gun' programmes imho and makes me seriously want to emigrate to the good ol US of A.!

oops - read before you post -Duh.......................

Sorry folks. Still a good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Kryten wrote: »
    Our gallery rifle and WA1500 shooters would make a show of them all :D

Dont make me laugh. :p The lads on american guns are using ''real'' guns not air pistols at 10 meters.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Dont make me laugh. :p The lads on american guns are using ''real'' guns not air pistols at 10 meters.:D

Air pistols? Which of the two disciplines mentioned uses an air pistol?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Um, would you be willing to state you know absolutely nothing about either 10m ISSF Air Pistol, Gallery Rifle or WA1500?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

was intrigued by the very rare "scout" rifles he had them all shoot, looked just like some ordinary Steyr Scouts to me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Justashotgun

Loving this show, I know its abit over the top sometimes when they try to "act" but pretty decent show.
    I particularly like the gun smithing parts but to be honest I felt that they where hamming some of this up, faking blockages and problems with the materials. Coming from an engineering background, I felt that if the mistakes where "Real" that the guys should have been sent back to serve their time again.

And of course the daughter and wife are easy on the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭derek_g34

Kryten wrote: »
    Our gallery rifle and WA1500 shooters would make a show of them all :D

Yeah real guns, not them namby pamby smallbore/centrefire gallery rifles, centrefire pistols or revolvers:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

tfox wrote: »
    was intrigued by the very rare "scout" rifles he had them all shoot, looked just like some ordinary Steyr Scouts to me :rolleyes:

I think they were the Steyr Scouts sold by Gunsite, which would make them a little more rare, and pricey too:

http://www.gunsite.com/main/proshop/gunsmithy/steyr-scout-rifle/

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭jimmyd87

'TOP SHOT' on nat geo, ex military,police, swat and talented civilians all enter into the competition to become the TOP SHOT'!!!.... + the 100,000 grand prize of course!!!

The winner will have to proficient with everything from the tomahawk to the barret .50 cal, brilliant stuff.

:D

Just watched an episode tonight. Dear God. The "gunsmithing" leaves a lot to be desired. Hack saw, belt sander, tap and die sets, picatinny rails screwed straight onto the bottom of the stock.:eek::rolleyes:
    jimmyd87 wrote: »
    'TOP SHOT' on nat geo,
    Seen an episode of that too, and it was enough. 33 shots or so to hit a target at 100 yards with a WWII era rifle, and this "expert" couldn't. Says alot really.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jimmyd87 wrote: »
    The winner will have to proficient with everything from the tomahawk
    It's a right bugger adjusting the sights on those things allright :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Just watched an episode tonight. Dear God. The "gunsmithing" leaves a lot to be desired. Hack saw, belt sander, tap and die sets, picatinny rails screwed straight onto the bottom of the stock.:eek::rolleyes:

Seen an episode of that too, and it was enough. 33 shots or so to hit a target at 100 yards with a WWII era rifle, and this "expert" couldn't. Says alot really.

They could have done a better job on the rifle for that poor guy that was paralysed down his side and I hope they didn't charge him too much for it.:rolleyes:

The huge picatinny rail was an eye sore. The cutting of the barrel was amateurish, and sloppy. Even swopping out a trigger (a 10 minute job at most) couldn't be done right. Add all that to a poor paint job, and quite frankly i'd have been embarrassed giving it to the lad for free.

• Advertisement

The huge picatinny rail was an eye sore. The cutting of the barrel was amateurish, and sloppy. Even swopping out a trigger (a 10 minute job at most) couldn't be done right. Add all that to a poor paint job, and quite frankly i'd have been embarrassed giving it to the lad for free.

The barrel job was hilarious, I saw it out of the corner of my eye and turned an thought 'wtf is he cutting? Please don't let it be the f'in barrel':pac: The guy had trouble operating the trigger too, he wasn't even holding the stock. Seemed like he needed a rear pistol grip to be incorporated, they kinda fell down there.

I thought they would give it to him for free too(perhaps they did off screen who knows?), the guys from Sons of Guns gave a custom gun to a veteran for free which seemed to fit his needs better than the one AG made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

A Remington 7600 with a pistol grip and a good trigger job would have been much better for that fella. But that's just my opinion.

Serious question.
    How effective or usable is a scope that is mounted so far forward on the rifle? Would your eye relief not be ****ed?

lefthooker wrote: »
    Serious question.
    How effective or usable is a scope that is mounted so far forward on the rifle? Would your eye relief not be ****ed?

Thought the very same thing myself when I seen it.

It's a long eye relief scope. They said they were building a scout rifle so presumably followed Jeff Cooper's design which had a forward mounted scope.

Blay wrote: »
    It's a long eye relief scope. They said they were building a scout rifle so presumably followed Jeff Cooper's design which had a forward mounted scope.

I know that they were going with a scout layout but being so far forward would it not be difficult to line your eye with the scope? And what kind of view would you get? Would he have been better with open sights in that regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭palo

The only good thing about sons of guns is the theme tune music to the start of the program, as for the apprentice a pure nut job. American guns not great either Rich typical ex cop know it all. This is the part where I tell you what to do F... Sake pure Horse Manure.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

I put this "Scout Rifle" together from a low cost imported .308 Mauser and a long eye relief (LER) scope. Put a Timney trigger in it. The rig cost a total of $400 including trigger. Its fast, accurate and fun to shoot. I try to cut costs whenever possible as "she who must be obeyed" monitors budget and gun safe very closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:rolleyes: Anybody see the show tonight.? Its so OTT its actually quite a laugh !
    The fat guy starts to drill a long hole in the lathe in a brass tube. Its 'got to be dead centre' but the thing is wobbling around like a prize stallions dingdorum.
    Miss big boobs wants a .45 for personal protection - in pink of course.She may 'take out' an assailant but would probably punch a hole into the next door bedroom and beyond. Scary.
    Rich and the wife have a mock argument in the office in front of the well stocked bar --in a gunshop ! Lastly Rich knocks a seller down from $75k to $50k because he threw in a bowie knife !
    I have to say I love it all the same !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

EWQuinn wrote: »
    I put this "Scout Rifle" together from a low cost imported .308 Mauser and a long eye relief (LER) scope. Put a Timney trigger in it. The rig cost a total of $400 including trigger. Its fast, accurate and fun to shoot. I try to cut costs whenever possible as "she who must be obeyed" monitors budget and gun safe very closely.

TBH ,The German army in both ww1 and 2 had a sniper rifle based on the 98K with a long eye relif scope with about 3 power magnification.They didnt have much trouble dropping Allied troops in all war fronts with this set up:pac:.Apprently thats were Col Jeff got the sighting concept from in the 1st place.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement