Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV SHOW: AMERICAN GUNS

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭palo

Ew Quinn.

That is a very nice scout rifle you have there, and by the looks of the target it cand shoot well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

lefthooker wrote: »
    I had high hopes for this series after the first episode but that went down the pan after last nights dross. From Rich's over-the-top-ness to the usual pyrotechnic mayhem and the least believable preacher it descended into farce.
    Who in there right mind would pay up to $15k for a custom revolver when a gold plated Desert Eagle was priced at $2070. And the guy with the two Barretts deserved a slap. To tell a gunsmith that he couldn't fire off a round after working on his rifles was some cheek. I know it was for the cameras but still......

The fake laugh,ughh, as for the barrett, only in America :rolleyes: obviously but is this the one the kid gouged, not suprised he didnt let him shoot it.
    Loving this show, I know its abit over the top sometimes when they try to "act" but pretty decent show.
    I particularly like the gun smithing parts but to be honest I felt that they where hamming some of this up, faking blockages and problems with the materials. Coming from an engineering background, I felt that if the mistakes where "Real" that the guys should have been sent back to serve their time again.
    And of course the daughter and wife are easy on the eye.

I saw a bit where Rich turned something off on a lathe, it was rough and Im no expert, do people really saw up barrels to shorten them??

The main thing I was wondering, in factory made guns, are they completely machined or is there some element of hot or cold working?
    This lot seemed to just machine them, this surely is weaker than machining then hot/cold working , is there a quality control? Id really be concerned something made like that would blow up in my face. Are frames for revolvers they really made that way by large scale manufacturers too?
    And lol, the guy with the knuckle duster .22 pistol, getting soaked.

Some nice guns, others bit pointless, liked the lever actions, and WW2 guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Grizzly 45: "TBH ,The German army in both ww1 and 2 had a sniper rifle based on the 98K with a long eye relif scope with about 3 power magnification.They didnt have much trouble dropping Allied troops in all war fronts with this set up.Apprently thats were Col Jeff got the sighting concept from in the 1st place."

Yes, Mauser 98k with 1.5x zeilfenrhor 41 (ZF 41) scope, #2 at the link http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/gwyboren.html According to "The German Sniper 1914-1945" by Senich, they were sharpshooter rifles but were used as snipers. Supposedly 6% of all 98Ks were to be set up for mounting these. They were VERY long eye relief with no focus adjustment for the 1.5X. Nevertheless very effective when used correctly.

Palo: "That is a very nice scout rifle you have there, and by the looks of the target it cand shoot well."

Yes it shoots surprizingly well, better than I expected. The only Mauser I own, it is a solid & smooth action, with that Timney trigger a real pleasure to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Love em or hate em Gunsmoke just went to a whole new level tonight because they built a Winchester model 1866 yellow boy from scratch.

Was some piece of work, the engraving was beautifull and the lever action looked smooth. If I win the lotto a know what I'll be buying!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hunter21 wrote: »
    If I win the lotto a know what I'll be buying!
    More lotto lickets, or from somewhere else?

I haven't seen tonights episode but caught last weeks one. $4,000 for a rebarrel, and stock. :eek: "Ninja chop" for a test fire, guided in the reamer by hand, made a balls of a barrel, etc. The list goes on.

Not to mention the two "gunsmiths" trying to take off the stock by beating the barrel & stock of the counter instead of looking for the obvious screw. They even tried to say it was a build up of crud. The action was spotless when they got the stock off.

It's something to watch for a few minutes (as i usually watch it on fast forward), but as a display of gunsmithing, etc it's a joke. There are dozens of gunsmiths to choose from, and some world class ones at that. I suppose it's down to the "what the audience wants to see" factor. Much like Top shot.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

@ Ez, ya I agree last weeks episode was what I'd call hatchet enough alright, showed lack of experience when taking off the barrel without locating the screw first.

In tonight's show they did make a mistake a rather big or too: the headspace and the bolt face were not perfectly matched so they got blow back of gases during test fire.

I have a love for lever actions so I will give them credit for attempting to make one and more so for a yellow boy which receiver is made of brass.

They do some back yard shed methods at times I know and pull off stupid stunts.

We'd all agree that it l very hard to make show that will appeal to everyone not to mind a gun show.

http://outdoorchannel.com/International.aspx

On the Outdoor Channel, and similar sporting networks, have "Wednesday Night at the Range", including Shooting USA, American Rifleman TV, Impossible Shots, and others. These shows are professionally done, featuring all manner of shooting sports and competitions, with top flight competitors and experts, and also some of the premier exhibition shooters in the world. The link above covers their international outreach which includes a partnership with London based "Chello Zone". Perhaps other networks that carry the shows are also expanding internationally.

I am hoping that some of you may be able to access these, or hopefully if not now in the future. Its not "reality" TV, so they don't need to manufacture drama and comedy for ratings. But it is real shooting sports presented in a professional manner such that shooters in Ireland and Europe would likely appreciate it. They recently had a show featuring an international black powder shoot with an impressive slate of competitors from all around the globe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    TBH ,The German army in both ww1 and 2 had a sniper rifle based on the 98K with a long eye relif scope with about 3 power magnification.They didnt have much trouble dropping Allied troops in all war fronts with this set up:pac:.Apprently thats were Col Jeff got the sighting concept from in the 1st place.

And Mr EWQuinn -

Sirs - The one in my collection is about as useful as tits on a frog. As noted, it has a magnification of x1.5, not 3. The '41' in the designation is used because the 41 indicates the year it was adopted. I also collect WW1 scopes, and trust me, there was NO long eye-relief [LER] scope like the ZF41 is use in WW1. The ZF41 was designed to be a quick fix to enable any superior marksman in the platoon to have an advantage over his less skilful pals. TBH, you'd are better off using the Mk1 eyeball - the field of view is slightley less than that obtained by looking in the mouse's earhole. [I'm being polite here, you understand]

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

EWQuinn wrote: »
    Grizzly 45: "TBH ,The German army in both ww1 and 2 had a sniper rifle based on the 98K with a long eye relif scope with about 3 power magnification.They didnt have much trouble dropping Allied troops in all war fronts with this set up.Apprently thats were Col Jeff got the sighting concept from in the 1st place."

Yes, Mauser 98k with 1.5x zeilfenrhor 41 (ZF 41) scope, #2 at the link http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/gwyboren.html According to "The German Sniper 1914-1945" by Senich, they were sharpshooter rifles but were used as snipers. Supposedly 6% of all 98Ks were to be set up for mounting these. They were VERY long eye relief with no focus adjustment for the 1.5X. Nevertheless very effective when used correctly.

I have put my eye through this setup, amazingly clear sight picture, much easier on the eye then either open sights or traditional scope setup and very fast on target. I really liked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I'm not one for the american attitude towards firearms but give me "tales of the gun" any day over this new ****! It may be a bit out-dated now but in particular the rifle and shotgun episodes were brilliant IMO. Very informative and superbly presented, and none of this sensational type muck. No wonder half the world think americans are soft in the head......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'm not criticising American people. Rather the shows.

I'm well aware that if it were a good quality, informative show that real enthusiasts enjoyed they would be loosing the other 90-95% of the viewing public. I also realise a little "flamboyance" is needed for shows, but even so they show hold true to a certain degree of accuracy.

As was said above there are other gunsmiths to choose from, and the mistakes they are showing, which i believe to be staged to a certain extent, are making the lads in the show look foolish or incompetent. If they are going for the pure entetainment value why not reduce or eliminate some of the gunsmithing so as not to ruin the show for those that know mistakes are being made.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Very true Ez, I'm not getting at the american people either, but rather I'm saying that there type of shows tend to stereotype them as a nation. A bit like thirty years ago when people thought that the irish were all terrorists purely because the troubles were pretty much all that was in the world spotlight at the time. But like you said, if they started making educational shows about firearms they would probably lose 90% of their audience. Shame really.......

ZF 41 scope in person: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvsUCKidpKw

Tac, I think maybe you're a little too critical, Bubba can see through his just fine :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhB1zkREYyM&feature=related

You can say what you want about the show's more bombastic aspects, I have never seen a Win 1866 receiver made from a billet of brass in a CNC machine. That rifle build was pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

He's building a 50 cal bolt action for a guy tonight (€20,000)
    + he is just after offering €500,000 ( yeah you read right) for 2 pistols ( a colt dragoon and a walker)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

EWQuinn wrote: »
    You can say what you want about the show's more bombastic aspects, I have never seen a Win 1866 receiver made from a billet of brass in a CNC machine. That rifle build was pretty cool.

Fair enough, but it was a bit of a steep price, as in rip off steep. Apart from the fact that the guns are made in the US, in different calibres by a US and by another non US company in the US.
    I did a bit of searching of replies on a few US gun forums and the history of the owner leaves a lot to be desired, how he deals with customers and basically anyone he doesnt like, former employers etc.

I started watching it but went off it fairly soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Vizzy wrote: »
    He's building a 50 cal bolt action for a guy tonight (€20,000)
    + he is just after offering €500,000 ( yeah you read right) for 2 pistols ( a colt dragoon and a walker)

Jesus he had a lucky escape there:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Did you see the shot at the barn from a half mile away and the safe backstop that he used ?
    Its great how he expected fresh air to stop the bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Vizzy wrote: »
    Did you see the shot at the barn from a half mile away and the safe backstop that he used ?
    Its great how he expected fresh air to stop the bullet.

I saw that..firing at a wooden shed at the crest of a hill..genius:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭browning 12 bore

seen the show there today bit behind i am but gave me great idea getting a engraving on my big deer gun the picture will be of a deer in the wood i hope it goes on alright on two minds weather to stensil in on with vinal or get it sprayed on all going well pics will follow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement