Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 8 Metro: The fall of windows or the best invention ever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

A bit more on-topic.

I've decided to set myself a challenge and use Internet Explorer all day tomorrow. Had a quick go of it, and I'm actually shocked that it's running smoothly and not taking 10 freaking minutes to open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

^^^Grand Browser if you set it up right.

Still used by 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

^^^Grand Browser if you set it up right.

Still used by 50%.

How many of the 50% think Internet Explorer icon is a button for the internet though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

My experience of it was my experience of it. It felt awkward and disconnected. It made perfect sense for a touch system but with a keyboard and mouse it was absolutely stupid.

Just accept alot of people do not and will not like this and I will accept that some people do like it.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Thinking of joining in on the consumer preview, as I plan on upgrading to it W8 on release anyway.

My only major questions are;

How stable is it?
    Will it affect my pictures, music, movies and documents?
    Will Google Chrome work, or do I have to resort back to IE!
    Most importantly, I've seen people can have issues with Skype when using the W8 preview, does anyone know if this has been fixed yet?
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/virtual-machine-makeuseof-explains/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

A free utility is out to allow you to boot directly to the desktop on Windows 8 and to bypass the Start screen. It also adds a Start Button. Details below.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-boot-desktop-start8-143772

I tried Windows 8 again today, for about the third time. I really don't think I'm going to like it. Back to Windows 7 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

G-Money wrote: »
    A free utility is out to allow you to boot directly to the desktop on Windows 8 and to bypass the Start screen. It also adds a Start Button. Details below.

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows8/windows-8-tip-boot-desktop-start8-143772

That might actually make the whole thing usable! So much for MS ripping out all the code.

Next thing then will be a patch to re-enable Glass and Themes and viola - Windows 7.5 as it should have been

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    That might actually make the whole thing usable! So much for MS ripping out all the code.

Next thing then will be a patch to re-enable Glass and Themes and viola - Windows 7.5 as it should have been

I used that add-on yesterday. It does add a Start button back but for some reason I thought it added the old style Start menu back. It doesn't. It add's some sort of metro start menu that takes up most of your screen.

Personally, I think Microsoft should have had some sort of feature that let you boot to the desktop and keep the existing Windows 7 style Start menu (with perhaps a few tweaks) and interface but add the other Windows 8 features, such as the new explorer, new task manager etc. And leave Metro as something for touch-screen devices.

I work in IT and have done for years. I've tried Windows 8 about three different times on my laptop thinking I'd come around to it and it just does my head in and sends me back to Windows 7 within an hour. That's never happened before on any Windows version I've ran!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I used that add-on yesterday. It does add a Start button back but for some reason I thought it added the old style Start menu back. It doesn't. It add's some sort of metro start menu that takes up most of your screen.
    Ahh ok, that's a bit different then .. I also thought it'd just add the Start Menu we know and love.
    Personally, I think Microsoft should have had some sort of feature that let you boot to the desktop and keep the existing Windows 7 style Start menu (with perhaps a few tweaks) and interface but add the other Windows 8 features, such as the new explorer, new task manager etc. And leave Metro as something for touch-screen devices.
    100% agree with this. Metro is fine for a tablet I'm sure (well until you need to use a "legacy" application that isn't designed for touch use that is!), but for any real work people will continue to use a full laptop/desktop with keyboard and mouse and Metro does nothing for these people except cause frustration.

I suspect most companies won't go near Win 8 (seeing a lot of them only finished Win 7 upgrades recently) and a lot of consumers will be buying Win 7 for as long as they can - I read something recently that said Win 7 sales and share has actually significantly increased of late.. surely not a good sign for MS with their new OS just around the corner?!
    I work in IT and have done for years. I've tried Windows 8 about three different times on my laptop thinking I'd come around to it and it just does my head in and sends me back to Windows 7 within an hour. That's never happened before on any Windows version I've ran!
    Same as that... I've tried it 2/3 times as well now and never last more than 30 mins with it. It's just not usable if you want to actually get something done and I HATE the insistence of running everything in full screen.

I was an early adopter of Win 98 and didn't look back, loved Win 2000 and have always upgraded my main machines to the latest and greatest as soon as it goes RTM, but unless someone comes up with a way to bypass Metro entirely and restore the "classic" Win 7 start menu, I'll be skipping Win 8 altogether I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't understand a word of that.

I've W8 on a laptop, has a start bar, (Classic shell) can use apps same as W7. I don't use the metro apps.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/features.html

I use (Classic shell) on W7 as its much better than the W7 start menu.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

BostonB wrote: »

I've W8 on a laptop, has a start bar, (Classic shell) can use apps same as W7. I don't use the metro apps.

I'm glad it works for you, but when you're having to restore functionality with an unsupported piece of 3rd party freeware because MS have insisted that every computer in the world must look like a Giant Crap Mobile Phone, something's gone very very wrong.

Under the hood Win8 is fine, but the UI and associated Metro issues will likely see it being skipped by a lot of enterprises for at least a year or two. Unless it's astonishingly good in the non-tablet consumer arena in that time, we can expect the ME/Vista effect to pretty much kill it.

The non techies using W8 on my laptop, just on with it. They kinda like the mobile look to it.

BostonB wrote: »

Can you use that to bypass the start screen/logon screen and go directly to the desktop?

As things have worked out, I need to re-format another machine now so I'm tempted to give Windows 8 another go using the utilities you've mentioned there.

Can you use that to bypass the start screen/logon screen and go directly to the desktop?

As things have worked out, I need to re-format another machine now so I'm tempted to give Windows 8 another go using the utilities you've mentioned there.

I think it pops up Metro briefly before going to the desktop. I use it on Windows 7 to add some features back into Explorer. Haven't tried it on Windows 8.

Like he said. I think it pops up for a second or two then closes.

So far, so good. This is how Windows 8 should have been for laptops/desktops/non-touch enabled devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I use Vistart

Works fine. W8 boots into metro, you just click on the desktop icon and hey presto within a few seconds our beloved start button appears and it is business as usual :D

I agree with Fysh, it's crazy you need 3rd party software to make windows usable, but it works for me

Anyway, I still reckon the startmenu will be in the RTM. Or at least you can activate it somehow. MS have just been using us as guinea pigs and forced ye to use metro :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Stark wrote: »
    Yeah the nicest thing about Windows 95 (and all subsequent versions) for me was not having to Alt-tab to fill your screen with the Program Manager in order to access your applications. This feels like a retrograde step.

never knew about the alt -tab trick , knew about it in linux but not in windows

twas running 8 on the virtual box and i clicked store. I must say , although beta or whatever , its Shíte.

NO SEARCH????

Also , you have to move the mouse to the right bottom corner to get up settings ,then pc settings. Even though windows 8 was only taking up the center of my screen . I had to move back to look at it , way to big

Picture - It burns
    Also , im not a security nut, however , i dont like location services on , which is on by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

2K - Great
    ME - Sh|te
    XP - Great
    Vista - Sh|te
    W7 - Great
    W8... I think I'll give it a skip. From the brief usage that I had with it, I dislike it.

I did try to use Metro the other day but it did my head in, again. I had got Messenger installed but couldn't figure out how to bring up my contacts or see who was online or anything. Very frustrating experience. But at the same time, I didn't spend ages trying to work it out.

It's a bit mad alright that we have to install 3rd party stuff to make the OS usable but it sort pokes a pretty big hole in Microsoft's claim that they couldn't support the two interfaces independently because of "security concerns".

All they need is an option during install or whatever that lets you pick Metro or Desktop, and if you pick Desktop you get the Windows 7 style desktop, complete with Start Menu etc and you don't see the Metro Start screen or anything. I don't mind if they tweak the Start menu a bit like they do with most Windows versions but it should be similar to the existing one.

Based on how Windows is working now with that 3rd party add-on, I'd be more willing to buy it. Before, I was planning to skip Windows 8 entirely. I don't claim to represent the majority of users but I think that's a somewhat interesting statistic.

I'd be surprised if the Start menu get's added back in before RTM, although I guess anything is possible. But I can see it being added back or some sort of significant change being made either in Windows 8 SP1 or Windows 9.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the_syco wrote: »
    2K - Great
    ME - Sh|te
    XP - Great
    Vista - Sh|te
    W7 - Great
    W8... I think I'll give it a skip. From the brief usage that I had with it, I dislike it.

The other rule of thumb is wait for the third service pack/update when there is are fundamental change under the bonnet in the OS

The other rule of thumb is wait for the third service pack/update when there is are fundamental change under the bonnet in the OS

I always start with the final beta myself :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

unkel wrote: »
    I always start with the final beta myself :D
    on a production system :eek:

on a production system :eek:

Yep. But unlike some others, I have not outsourced vital skills and I do have backups to revert to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

bpb101 wrote: »
    twas running 8 on the virtual box and i clicked store. I must say , although beta or whatever , its Shíte.

NO SEARCH????

Click on the Start corner, and then start typing for what you want. Just as you would in Windows 7.

• Advertisement

Click on the Start corner, and then start typing for what you want. Just as you would in Windows 7.

to search the store?
    nope,
    Even if this was true i would rather click store and then search

Advertisement