Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,588 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    flazio wrote: »
    What's your source for this information?

Netflix themselves are a great source if you use twitter.

Netflix UK & IrelandVerified account ‏@NetflixUK

"Dr. Jackson, I presume." #ComingSoon pic.twitter.com/poQerjgNeI

Bt5IqZZIcAAT4uE.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Stargate? ^

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Watch the pilot too ... excellent!!

Back to bare bones though ... SD, 4:3 picture ... ah well! :D

I binged the first couple of seasons but I thought the 4:3 ratio would change to widescreen by at least s3, so I through on a episode of the final season and its still using that fecking ratio.

Its a pity because its a good tv show.

krudler wrote: »
    Stargate? ^

Yup usually when Netflix tease like that on twitter it will be here within a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

deisedude wrote: »
    If you like Frankie Boyle i think you'd like Steve Hughes
    George Carlin .
    or Doug Stanhope's.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Mike Birbiglia .
    djkeogh wrote: »
    I stumbled upon Bill Burr .

I'l have to check these lads out and see if they match up to Frankie or Luis CK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'l have to check these lads out and see if they match up to Frankie or Luis CK.

Check out John Mulaney: New In Town, I thought it was hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

OT but The Wire is in 4:3, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

vidor wrote: »
    OT but The Wire is in 4:3, isn't it?
    Yes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ooh Orphan Black - I have heard things that are good about that!

Kudos to Artifical Eye (distributors of Blue is the Warnesr Colour), they seem to be onboard with the whole Netflix thing even though they run their own on demand service. There'd be few recent foreign films of note on there if it wasn't for their contributions.

Oh yay, that's on Netflix now, sweet. Like yourself, have heard a lot of good buzz about this show, particularly around the lead actor's ability to play half a dozen different characters. I think season 3 is already being filmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

some good additions to the irish netflix
    Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
    13 Assassins
    glory
    harold and maude

• Advertisement

Stargate SG1 all 10 seasons up on Netflix Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Stargate SG1 all 10 seasons up on Netflix Ireland.

A really good series.

Quality can vary and I always thought the standalone epsiodes were its best work but well worth a watch.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

New to UK/Irish -

The Almighty Johnsons - New Zealand Drama/Comedy about a family who are reincarnations of various Norse Gods who can't complete their destinies until youngest brother Axl finds his soul mate.

I watched the first series of this on TV a while back, it was pretty good.

Cutie and The Boxer
    Finding Neverland

Both of Ewan McGregor's documentaries where he travels around the world on his motor bike are up now. Long Way Around is the whole way around the world and Long Way Down is Scotland to the tip of South Africa. Both worth a watch, his pal Charlie is a bit annoying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭delboy85

Season 1 of "Orphan Black" has been on Netflix Netherlands for a while. I'm half way through it and really struggling with it. It's just not clicking with me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

peteeeed wrote: »
    some good additions to the irish netflix
    Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
    13 Assassins
    glory
    harold and maude

I've heard it's "the greatest love story of our time" :D

... but I think I'll try 13 Assassins instead - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

The whole of the fourth season of The Killing (US version) is up today.

I recently watched The Grocer's son on US netflix, a french film about a thirty year old man who returns to his rural home to help run the family business after his father has a stroke. A charming little film and the french countryside looks gorgeous.

Also on US netflix is an Argentinian film called Sidewalls about two lonely people who live next door to each other but have never met. Worth a watch too.

I loved Orphan Black. The story can slightly lose the run of itself at times especially in season 2 but Tatiana Maslany is really excellent. I genuinely forget that it's the same person playing 5 or 6 characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Watched Marky Mark in Lone Survivor the other night on Mexican Flix. Good film and a solid cast. Quite Grisly as the film goes on and made all the better by the true story aspect. If you can get over the fact that Wahlburg struggles to carry off a beard throughout the entire film it's very good.

The Americans season 1 is up on Netflix Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Not a TV show but I cannot recommend Longmire enough. It's available on the US and Canadian flix and is one of the finest shows airing atm. It's a procedural but one that is more concerned with storytelling than it is flashy fx or cheap violence. It's one of those shows that is consistently brilliant but has never found the audience it deserves. Hopefully like Breaking Bad it'll break out into the hit it should be

I caught a few episodes very late night on RTE a while back and thought it was great and couldn't understand why it was on so late. Quality stuff and will start watching on Netflix now.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Roquentin wrote: »
    I will use hannibal as a case study. It uses the murder of the week format. Now common sense dictates that such a number of murders and grotesque ones cannot happen in one state of the USA, let alone the country. It simply does not happen. I just find watching some of those mystery/murder of the week shows as unbelievable. CSI miami makes florida look like everyone is been killed.
    It's not just the killings it's the 'artistry' that these killers use week in week out - who knew there were so many about. I think because of that it stretches that suspension of belief a bit too much at times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Eamo71 wrote: »
    I caught a few episodes very late night on RTE a while back and thought it was great and couldn't understand why it was on so late. Quality stuff and will start watching on Netflix now.

The time of night a show airs on RTE is usually a marker for the quality of the show. The later it's on the better it likely is.

RTE stuck it on at a ridiculous hour and then messed up the running order, showing episodes of series 1 and 2 at the same time.

All 11 seasons of Cheers added to Netflix US.

Machete added to Netflix Ireland/UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

It's not just the killings it's the 'artistry' that these killers use week in week out - who knew there were so many about. I think because of that it stretches that suspension of belief a bit too much at times.

I agree. If america was like that id be afraid to move there. Most killings are hatchet jobs- You either get shot or stabbed or hit with a baseball bat. The amount like you say "artistic" killings in some of these shows is just stupid. Hannibal had potential because mads mikelson is very good.

I was thinking had they done it like true detective-8 episodes of pure quality, and only focus on one or two murders, it would be class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Is Netflix down for any one else too?

It says on their website that they're aware about some people having problems with the service.

It started this morning, I was about to watch something on my Chromecast and it came up with an error message saying I had a free trial before and it was only for new customers!:confused:

I've been a paying customer for nearly 2 years so I've no idea what that's about.

I also keep getting error -7 now when I try to log in or watch something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Mines grand

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

Working fine this morning for me, but for the last few hours it has been down

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Mines grand
    Lucky you and cheers for the helpful, informative post! :pac:

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

A few issues.
    Netflix UK & Ireland @NetflixUK · 51m
    Apologies to any members experiencing streaming issues. Our engineers are working to fix it as quickly as possible.

• Advertisement

A few issues.

Was talking to some friends/faming with Netflix subs and they're all experiencing issues.

I'm sure it'll be fixed soon, annoying though.
    We're currently experiencing a technical issue.
    While we get things back to normal, some features aren't available - but you can play select titles on this page.

One of the many errors I'm getting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement