Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I don't think there's ever been a bad one. Off the top of my head there's the 'Thai Brides' one, the 'Louis and the Nazis' one, and the 'Dementia' one. And of course there's the Jimmy Saville one which just has so much more resonance now.
    He's just a remarkable documentary-maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭danrua01

I've enjoyed what I've seen so I'll definitely get onto that series, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Separate threads for film & TV
    danrua01 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any good documentaries? I've seen some already, mostly music/sports-

Beware of Mr Baker
    Vanishing of the Bees
    Senna
    that one about The Band
    The Zeitgeist series

on the us netflix there's a few very good music docs

The Libertines – There Are No Innocent Bystanders
    The punk singer
    shut up and play the hits
    big star nothing can hurt me
    upside down the creation records story
    a band called death

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Act of Killing and Blackfish are on a few of the non-Irish catalogues.

Cutie and the Boxer was added to the Irish one a few days ago, not seen it but supposed to be a good documentary.

Stories We Tell is also supposed to be very good.

Out of ones I've seen on the Irish site I recommend The Fog of War, Surfwise, Indie Game: The Movie, Samsara, Baraka, Hoop Dreams, Long Way Round, An Inconvenient Truth, Being Elmo, Chasing Ice, Splinters, Man On Wire, 180° South, The Island President.

I saw Being Elmo, that was a good one! I'll keep all those recommendations saved up somewhere, cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,589 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think a sequel to Being Elmo with everything that has gone on with Kevin Clash over the last few years could be very intersting.

I think a sequel to Being Elmo with everything that has gone on with Kevin Clash over the last few years could be very intersting.

I bet that he wishes he didn't do the doc as without it I doubt any of the accusations would have surfaced were it not for the acclaim and celebrity it gained him. Far as I know the last of the charges against him were thrown out due to the statute of limitations and he's currently in the process of getting his career back on track.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Dreams of a Life is an interesting documentary, it's on Irish Netflix.

I haven't seen any of the following yet but I've heard good things about The Queen of Versailles, Mea Maxima Culpa, 9 Broken Cameras (particularly relevant at the moment). BBC's Yellowstone and Great Bear Stakeout are good too, if you're a fan of nature documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Bigger, stronger, faster is a very good one, about the attitudes in the US towards steroids, pumping iron is a classic.

If your into skateboarding at all then the motivation is a good watch.

US netflix also has most if not all of the 30 for 30 stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭deisedude

Fightville - If you are into the UFC this is well worth a watch. Follows a few wannabe MMA fighters fighting for a local promotion hoping to make it to the big time. Dustin Porier features heavily. He is the guy who will be fighting Conor McGregor next.

The Armstrong Lie - On Candaian Netflix. Featues interviews with Lance before and after he admitted to doping. I think its fantastic. Armstrong does not come out of this well

• Advertisement

That 9 Broken Cameras does seem good. Excellent recommendations. For me, I'd recommend everyone watch Marley, excellent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Dreams of a Life is an interesting documentary, it's on Irish Netflix.

I haven't seen any of the following yet but I've heard good things about The Queen of Versailles, Mea Maxima Culpa, 9 Broken Cameras (particularly relevant at the moment). BBC's Yellowstone and Great Bear Stakeout are good too, if you're a fan of nature documentaries.

Watched that myself recently, very interesting story though it could have been told in half an hour

Warper wrote: »
    Watched that myself recently, very interesting story though it could have been told in half an hour

Yeah, I'd agree with you there. It could have been one of those Channel 4 type one off investigations and been covered in an hour time slot. Still worth a watch though.

Yeah, I'd agree with you there. It could have been one of those Channel 4 type one off investigations and been covered in an hour time slot. Still worth a watch though.

Definitely, hard to fathom, really quite sad

• Registered Users Posts: 60,589 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nymphomaniac: Volume I & II up on Netflix US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Just watched "The Announcement" - documentary on Magic Johnson and his announcement that he's HIV positive.

Great documentary, very inspirational, shows how quickly you can go from having the world at your feet to being delivered a death sentence.
    It's narrated by Johnson himself so that lends a good bit of insight into his feelings at the time and how he is today.

Not to mention there's plenty of his on court highlights - the man could do insane things with a basketball, I literally said "wow" aloud to myself several times throughout the film!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Dear Zachary is a great doc on usa netflix

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

danrua01 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any good documentaries? I've seen some already, mostly music/sports-

Beware of Mr Baker
    Vanishing of the Bees
    Senna
    that one about The Band
    The Zeitgeist series

2 particular documentaries come to mind.

One called "Whores Glory" which deals with the lives of prostitutes in several countries, quite eye opening but definitely not PG.

The other is "The Bridge" and it was about people jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

There's plenty on there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Armadillo is a good doc on the Danish army in Afghanistan. Restrepo, US soldiers in same conflict, both on US Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey is on US Netflix, prepare to feel very insignificant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The Master is on US Netflix.

How I Live Now added to Irish Netflix.

Saoirse Ronan stars as a teen sent to England to live with her cousins on their farm only to have World War 3 break out and the kids are separated. She spends the rest of the film trying to get back to the farm.
    It's actually a pretty decent film for the most part, ruined by the weird tacked on romance plot but there's enough of a chunk in the middle where the survival aspect of the story takes centre stage. There's some amazing shots in there too. The scene where a massive bomb goes off in London and the kids experience it from miles away is brilliant.

The Master is on US Netflix.

Great flick

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Hi guys, will be looking for a good horror film on netflix tonight to watch with the wifey, can anybody recommend anything? Thanks in advance :-)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Reebrock wrote: »
    Hi guys, will be looking for a good horror film on netflix tonight to watch with the wifey, can anybody recommend anything? Thanks in advance :-)

You're Next

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Saw that the other night mate - but you're right it was very good!

Reebrock wrote: »

Absentia - Great low budget horror that has more going on than most big budget genre fare.

The Divide - Sadly it's not the directors cut but this is one of the grimes post apocalyptic sci-fi horrors you are likely to come across.

House of the Devil - A slow burner that's all about mood and atmosphere. It's a deliberly paced 80s style horror that puts much of the genre to shame.

Pontypool - Perhaps the best zombie film of recent years, it's an intimate horror film with a small cast of characters and a single location with one of the best hooks in horror cinema. Clever, fun and with great performances, it's essential viewing.

Detention - One of the best meta horror film of all time. Visually it's gorgeous and the script is funny and smart and has some great moments.

The Snowtown Murders - A brutal and harrowing story of two serial killers in Australia. It's ugly, grisly and disturbing.

We Are What We Are - Superb horror remake from Jim Mickle and Nick Damici. A southern gothic horror that's amongst the most atmospheric and dark indie films of the past few years.

Beyond the Black Rainbow - One of those straight to DVD horrors that deserves to find an audience. It's an affectionate hoamge to all those great sci-fi and horrors of the 80s and has an adolescent glee that's infectious. It's bizarre, features good performances and some truly haunting visuals.

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil - A horror comedy done right with a game cast and some inventive kills. It's good natured fun and rather sweet.

The Expelled - Low budget as it gets but with a decent script and some decent performances. It's pretty much a remake of Ils set in a school and while it doesn't do much original it remains a tight, well structured genre film that doesn't pander to the audeince.

Asylum Blackout - One of the bleakest and most unrelentingly grim horror films in years. There's a constant sense of menace present and is one of those films which some will love and most will despise and personally I loved it thanks to the dank, dark, depraved nature of it.

Maniac - One of best horror remakes ever made. The film is first and foremost a visual feast that makes great use of the near constant POV shooting style. Elijah Wood is great as Frank, the twisted antagonist we follow and it's one of those horrors that's visceral and dark without ever reveling in it.

Outpost: Black Sun - After the original this is easily the best Nazi zombie film. Much like Aliens this sequel ramps everything up to 11 and goes all out. It's good fun and has some interesting moments.

Ravenous - A dark and twisted cannibal tale set in the old west. It's dark, unsettling and rather funny with some great performances, a superb score and a game cast.

Borderland - One of the better holidaymakers abroad get attacked entries. That it's cast play their age is a nice change of pace and there's more going on that you initially think. It's not big or clever but it is fun and has a rather nasty mean streak running throughout.

The Lords of Salem - to quote myself
    it's up there with the best that the genre has to offer. A truly unique tale that's told in a restrained and adult manner. It's been a long time since a film has managed to create such an unrelentingly grim sense of fireboding and while the end does squander the buildup it's still a magnificent piece of work. Zombie's imagery is exceptional and called to mind Kubrick, Argento, Polanski, etc yet it never feels like imitation. The first entry into number 5 features one of cinemas most mind blowingly beautiful moments and there's really not a single moment in the film that you couldn't hang in a gallery.

It's the most nature, restrained and intelligent horror I've seen in quite sometime and the lack of gore and jump scares is refreshing. It's a film all about mood and atmosphere and anyone looking for something a little different is in for a treat. I really hope that Zombie's decision to move away from horror is temporary as I really want to see what he does next.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You're Next

Good movie, good story but terrible ending iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,306 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You're Next

Watch it with the threats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

Absentia - Great low budget horror that has more going on than most big budget genre fare.

The Divide - Sadly it's not the directors cut but this is one of the grimes post apocalyptic sci-fi horrors you are likely to come across.

House of the Devil - A slow burner that's all about mood and atmosphere. It's a deliberly paced 80s style horror that puts much of the genre to shame.

Pontypool - Perhaps the best zombie film of recent years, it's an intimate horror film with a small cast of characters and a single location with one of the best hooks in horror cinema. Clever, fun and with great performances, it's essential viewing.

Detention - One of the best meta horror film of all time. Visually it's gorgeous and the script is funny and smart and has some great moments.

The Snowtown Murders - A brutal and harrowing story of two serial killers in Australia. It's ugly, grisly and disturbing.

We Are What We Are - Superb horror remake from Jim Mickle and Nick Damici. A southern gothic horror that's amongst the most atmospheric and dark indie films of the past few years.

Beyond the Black Rainbow - One of those straight to DVD horrors that deserves to find an audience. It's an affectionate hoamge to all those great sci-fi and horrors of the 80s and has an adolescent glee that's infectious. It's bizarre, features good performances and some truly haunting visuals.

Tucker & Dale vs. Evil - A horror comedy done right with a game cast and some inventive kills. It's good natured fun and rather sweet.

The Expelled - Low budget as it gets but with a decent script and some decent performances. It's pretty much a remake of Ils set in a school and while it doesn't do much original it remains a tight, well structured genre film that doesn't pander to the audeince.

Asylum Blackout - One of the bleakest and most unrelentingly grim horror films in years. There's a constant sense of menace present and is one of those films which some will love and most will despise and personally I loved it thanks to the dank, dark, depraved nature of it.

Maniac - One of best horror remakes ever made. The film is first and foremost a visual feast that makes great use of the near constant POV shooting style. Elijah Wood is great as Frank, the twisted antagonist we follow and it's one of those horrors that's visceral and dark without ever reveling in it.

Outpost: Black Sun - After the original this is easily the best Nazi zombie film. Much like Aliens this sequel ramps everything up to 11 and goes all out. It's good fun and has some interesting moments.

Ravenous - A dark and twisted cannibal tale set in the old west. It's dark, unsettling and rather funny with some great performances, a superb score and a game cast.

Borderland - One of the better holidaymakers abroad get attacked entries. That it's cast play their age is a nice change of pace and there's more going on that you initially think. It's not big or clever but it is fun and has a rather nasty mean streak running throughout.

The Lords of Salem - to quote myself
    which one has Asylum Blackout on it?Been looking on moreflicks and can't find it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement