Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Finally started watching Skins to see what it was like, the first 2 seasons are unreal, totally blew me away, really shaping up to be excellent, then season 3 hit and I just started wanting to punch the tv, not sure I'll make it to season 4, shame really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Gonzo wrote: »
    Finally started watching Skins to see what it was like, the first 2 seasons are unreal, totally blew me away, really shaping up to be excellent, then season 3 hit and I just started wanting to punch the tv, not sure I'll make it to season 4, shame really.

The first two are the only ones worth watching IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Separate threads for film & TV
    Think I watched 4 of them but the first two were far better than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Iron Man 3 added to Netflix Sweeden.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

the sacrament is up on netflix usa. Really enjoyed this movie.

• Advertisement

Blacklist gone from US and Canada :/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Blacklist gone from US and Canada :/

Still there for me on US.

Maybe it has gone back up, I searched for it but just got a greyed out result on US and Canada. Cheers anyway, enjoying it so far though maybe it's Megan Boone that's holding my interest :P

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Rocket, Berberian Sound Studio and Frankenweenie added to the irish site in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Turtwig wrote: »
    Hunger games catching fire is on Irish Netflix but original hunger games is gone. :(

Yeah its been removed, a pity as i wanted to see it, but sometimes some titles are put back up again, so fingers crossed.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Yeah its been removed, a pity as i wanted to see it, but sometimes some titles are put back up again, so fingers crossed.....

its not so much a problem with netflix, but i delay watching things, delay and delay and then the thing goes. id be like il watch that tommorow and then forget about it. sure enough its gone some day then

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Roquentin wrote: »
    its not so much a problem with netflix, but i delay watching things, delay and delay and then the thing goes. id be like il watch that tommorow and then forget about it. sure enough its gone some day then

Same here. Kept putting off 21 jump street, then poof it gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Been watching the walking dead. Enjoying it but it reminds me of a cheap RPG game at times. "Hmm, go here and collect this, this and one of these, oh and there just happens to be a bunch of walkers there"
    Turtwig wrote: »
    Same here. Kept putting off 21 jump street, then poof it gone.

ah ****e. I wanted to see that. Checked moreflicks and its gone in every region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

ah ****e. I wanted to see that. Checked moreflicks and its gone in every region.

Me too. :( I'm a terrible procrastinator with Netflix, must watch things as soon as I think "ooh I wanna watch that!"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Riley Rewind - a five-part webseries stitched into a film It's a nice take on time travel - the protagonist, Riley, can rewind time (typically a few hours or at most a day or two), and attempts to use this ability to prevent a tragedy at her school. Most of the interest comes from seeing Riley struggle to ke meaningful changes with only a limited amount of time available, particularly as the repeated rewinding takes a physical toll on her. Production values and acting are more in line with a modest indie film/web series than anything big budget, but the appeal of this is the writing. The ending is a bit pat, but it's worth a watch as a more thoughtful approach to time travel. It's not as complex as Primer, but few films are. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time is probably the best comparison.

The Machine - a sort of technothriller/drama about a scientist developing artificial intelligence for use in a new cold war between the Western powers and China. Smart writing, good performances and a more sophisticated understanding of AI than is usually present in films were what I enjoyed in this. In a way, it's sort of like what you'd get if someone took the parts of T2 where John Connor is trying to teach the T800 and used them as the starting point for a less action-focused story about artificial intelligence. Probably the best comparison I can think of is Ghost In The Shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Homeland season 3 added to Netflix Sweden.

The Walking Dead season 4 added to Netflix US.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just finished season one of Longmire on US Netflix.

Hugely impressed. Can;t wait to start season 2.

Its just been cancelled by A&E despite being their drama with the highest ratings.

Hopefully another network or streaming service picks it up for a fourth season.

For BSG fans, Starbuck has a big role in it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Watched a few episodes of Longmire but couldn't get in to it.
    Seems like a poor mans Justified. I can see Longmire appealing to a more older audience & apparently that was one of the reasons A&E cancelled the show because it's 5.5 million viewers were “too old.”

Justified on the other hand is much more modern, explicit, violent & sexy. :)

PWEI wrote: »
    Seems like a poor mans Justified. I can see Longmire appealing to a more older audience & apparently that was one of the reasons A&E cancelled the show because it's 5.5 million viewers were “too old.”

The joy of Lonmire is that it doesn't need to be nor does it ever aspire to be explicit, violent or sexy. It's a decidedly old fashioned show that manages to tell adult stories without ever relishing in violence or gratuitous content. It's a show that improves with every episode and there's something to treasure about a show where victims of crime are treated with respect. There are no on liners or attempts to make murder sexy, death is treated as the sudden, nasty and evil thing that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

PWEI wrote: »

The joy of Lonmire is that it doesn't need to be nor does it ever aspire to be explicit, violent or sexy. It's a decidedly old fashioned show that manages to tell adult stories without ever relishing in violence or gratuitous content. It's a show that improves with every episode and there's something to treasure about a show where victims of crime are treated with respect. There are no on liners or attempts to make murder sexy, death is treated as the sudden, nasty and evil thing that it is.

I have watched four seasons of Justified and enjoyed them (especially the fourth) even though they were of varying quality.

Poor man's Justified is an opinion that really saddens me. It kind of implies that you need the main character to be young, to be model-esque etc because, and I admittely say this after only one season, the writing is just as good (better even when compared to S1 of Justified).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

noodler wrote: »

Poor man's Justified is an opinion that really saddens me. It kind of implies that you need the main character to be young, to be model-esque etc
    because, and I admittely say this after only one season, the writing is just as good (better even when compared to S1 of Justified).

I haven't watched either Justified or Longmire so I can't comment there but in regards to the bolded bit I have to agree.
    Something I noticed about a lot of the Danish shows that have been successful on BBC 4 is that they don't seem overly concerned with what their cast look like. The Bridge in particular was great TV but the two leads could hardly be described as young and model-esque. Although not filled with hideous mole people Borgen and The Killing weren't filled with hot young models either.

It's an interesting subject, I think. US Network shows definitely have an issue with casting for looks. Obviously you can't say that being really really ridiculously good looking means you can't be a good actor too but it's nice to see normal looking people on TV too.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭delboy85

Am pretty sure it's still on Netflix Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

delboy85 wrote: »
    Yeah, it is, its also on a load of others, Swiss, Mexican, Canadian etc. etc. etc. 9 in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Corvo

Homeland season 3 added to Netflix Sweden.

The Walking Dead season 4 added to Netflix US.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I ended up watching You're Next this evening and was pleasantly surprised; I remember seeing the trailer at MCM Expo a while ago and thinking it looked kind of generic, but it was a very well-executed thriller/slasher with more effort put into the characters and the setup than any similar film I've seen in ages. Greatly enjoyable and much better than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Here's the October additions to us netflix

Additions:

Oct. 1

Annie (1982)
    Annie: A Royal Adventure
    Bad Johnson
    Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle
    Chicken Run
    Domestic Disturbance
    Ernest Saves Christmas
    Finding Forrester
    Galaxy Quest
    Gilmore Girls: The Complete Series
    Hit!
    Hostages: Season 1
    Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
    Kramer vs. Kramer
    My Father the Hero
    Paths of Glory
    Please Subscribe: A Documentary About YouTubers
    Rescue Dawn
    Romeo + Juliet
    Shadow of the Vampire
    Shane
    Sleepless in Seattle
    Shivers
    The Phantom of the Opera
    Team America: World Police
    Three Fugitives
    Tombstone
    The Wedding Planner

Oct. 2

Carrie
    Reign: Season 1
    The Vampire Diaries: Season 5

Oct. 3

The Originals: Season 1

Oct. 4

Little Man

Oct. 7

Hart of Dixie
    In a World…
    Raising Hope: Season 4
    Supernatural: Season 9
    The Following: Season 2
    Arrow: Season 2
    Jay Mohr: Funny For a Girl

Oct. 9

A Long Way Down
    The Tomorrow People: Season 1

Oct. 10

Chelsea Handler: Uganda Be Kidding Me

Oct. 11

Breathe In
    Heatstroke
    Swelter
    Why Stop Now

Oct. 14

Witching & Bitching

Oct. 15

Stay
    Tim Minchin And The Heritage Orchestra Live

Oct. 16

Cowgirls n’ Angels

Oct. 18

Last Man Standing: Season 3
    Liberal Arts

Oct. 21

Wyatt Cenac: Brooklyn

Oct. 22

E-Team
    The 100: Season 1
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Oct. 23

Freakshow: Season 2

Oct. 25

The Carrie Diaries: Season 2
    Django Unchained
    Sons of Anarchy: Season 6

Oct. 28

Bound by Flesh
    Rain Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

peteeeed wrote: »
    Here's the October additions to us netflix

Chicken Run! I don't care what anyone thinks, I freaking love that movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Galaxy Quest. Jaysus haven't watched that film since I was 9, might be in need of a revisit. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Finally Season 9 of Supernatural. Been waiting ages for that. They seem to add things around the same time as the DVD release.
    delboy85 wrote: »
    Yeah, it is, its also on a load of others, Swiss, Mexican, Canadian etc. etc. etc. 9 in fact.

Im an idiot. I was searching TV shows, not films.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

e_e wrote: »
    Galaxy Quest. Jaysus haven't watched that film since I was 9, might be in need of a revisit. :cool:

It gets better with age imo, brilliant parody of Star Trek.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement