Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Which region?

The Nordics.

Clooney gets a bit 'Buzz Lightyearey', however its almost flawless visually.

Separate threads for film & TV
    In a bit of a dour mood these past weeks and after working my way through Fringe thought I'd try something a little lighter so gave Bojack Horseman a go. Up to episode eight and really enjoying it, it's one of those animated comedies much like King of the Hill that could work almost as well if it were live action. More dramedy than out and out comedy it's rather dark and depressing at times and while it's rarely laugh out loud funny there's a number of good gags and one liners and there more absurd set ups are fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

In a bit of a dour mood these past weeks and after working my way through Fringe thought I'd try something a little lighter so gave Bojack Horseman a go. Up to episode eight and really enjoying it, it's one of those animated comedies much like King of the Hill that could work almost as well if it were live action. More dramedy than out and out comedy it's rather dark and depressing at times and while it's rarely laugh out loud funny there's a number of good gags and one liners and there more absurd set ups are fun.

I'm quite enjoying it now too but wouldn't blame people for giving up on it after the first episode which was diabolically bad

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Speaking of king of the hill, I'm sickened they removed it and never brought it back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Are George Carlin's stand ups all gone from all regions?

Netflix seems to be losing more great material compared to the new ones added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The Irish Times have come up with a list of their top 50 Netflix movies.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/the-top-50-films-on-netflix-1.1953655?page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That's quiet a good list to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Recently started watching The 4400, I realise it started 10 years ago and was cancelled 7 years ago but I'm enjoying it!

It's making for some good TV :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Recently started watching The 4400, I realise it started 10 years ago and was cancelled 7 years ago but I'm enjoying it!

Loved it back in the day but never made it through the second season for whatever reason.

Started watching the original Oldboy last night but instantly got tired. Heard great things. Gonna finish that today and then maybe Star Trek into Darkness. Not a trekkie at all but really liked the first one when I watched it a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Into Darkness is a terrible film and an even worse Star Trek film.

Finally started watching House of Cards last week. I can see what the hype was all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

Doing the same thing myself. It's at least good enough to fill the void left by that ending to Alphas. Although I heard that there's a fairly unsatisfying ending to this too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

generation war is very good

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Just watched Gravity there. Fantastic film. Perfect length. Quite cliché at times but intense the whole way through.
    Very enjoyable in the cinema... loved the comment from Tina Fey at the Golden Globes about the movie - (SPOILER ALERT) "George Clooney would rather float off into space than be with a woman his own age"

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Just came across Peaky Blinders on US for anyone that hasn't seen it yet. Great show with season 2 having just started on BBC

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

CR 7 wrote: »
    Doing the same thing myself. It's at least good enough to fill the void left by that ending to Alphas. Although I heard that there's a fairly unsatisfying ending to this too.

The first & second seasons are great, the third season is a bit shaky due to one specific aspect of the plot, the fourth season mostly gets it back on track - but ends with the setup of what looked likeman inmense fifth and final season that never got made :( There have been a series of novels which supposedly wrap things up but I've not bothered with them.

It's a very good show in terms of balancing character and narrative, with an elegant way of incorporating what seem to be bits of standalone episodes into the longer-term narrative. It's good enough to enjoy watching even with the disappointing lack of a conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Does anyone know how many titles can be stored in the 'recently watched' section? I was using this in lieu of the 'my list' function on other regions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Evac101 wrote: »
    Hrm - some documentaries that deserve some love:

Pulling John - about arm wrestling
    King of Kong: A fist full of quarters
    Good ol' Freda
    Muscle Shoals
    Indie Game

There are plenty more obviously but those are the five which, over the last couple of years, have left the biggest impression.

Loved King of Kong, such an amazing insight into such an obscure community...yer man Billy is a right bastard!

anyone seen nymphomanic?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yes. It's a four hour long Lars Von Trier film about a sex addict. Pretty much does what it says on the tin :pac:

Occasionally brilliant (the Uma Thurman section particularly), occasionally ridiculous, it's a weird and predictably self-indulgent effort that doesn't come close to working all the time but is rarely less than interesting and uncompromising.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's incredibly funny in places. Or maybe that's just my weird sense of humour. :o

• Advertisement

4 hours.......i might divide into an hour each time......

yea von triers stuff is strange to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Just came across Peaky Blinders on US for anyone that hasn't seen it yet. Great show with season 2 having just started on BBC

Dunno what to make of it tbh...the accents aren't selling me

I just started watching that Nymphomania film, I blame Boards for my always being tired!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Longmire season 2 finale...!!

Ahhh! I love this show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Dunno what to make of it tbh...the accents aren't selling me

It's brilliant... bar some of the accents :/ really put me off but I'll keep going and see

Has anyone come across the extended cut of Waterworld streaming anywhere? I was always curious to see it but was only released region 1 I believe and after I stopped buying DVDs.

Netflix could do with adding some alternate/director's cuts as well as the likes of DVD documentary extras. A fair chunk of DVD cuts and their extras were often lousy cash-ins but there's some things they could put up there. I spotted a Nightmare on Elm St. doc on USA iirc and Fult Tilt Boogie, a doc about From Dusk till Dawn is on Netflix.

Not a recommendation but just something I noticed.

I have the old €7 price grandfathered for 2 years I think and I was just look at my account and all the price plans show up as €7 for me.

So the 4 screen, ultra HD cost the same as 1 screen non HD.

Is this like that for anyone else?

Never knew 3 more people could watch something at the same time as me!:pac:

What's the difference between "ultra" HD and "super" HD? I have the latter, it's not a blu-ray but perfectly fine.

Double Posted - My Apologies.

• Advertisement

Ageyev wrote: »
    What's the difference between "ultra" HD and "super" HD? I have the latter, it's not a blu-ray but perfectly fine.

My understanding is that Ultra HD (UHD) is 4K and Super is above 1080p?

Not sure to be honest.

On my Nexus 7 which has a >1080p resolution all I ever see is the option for HD.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement