Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

You need a 4K screen to see 4K if that's what "ultra" is. Didn't know Netflix streamed that stuff.

I think I pay €7.99 - only signed up in January - but I must check out the payment plan thing as I share my account with a few people. Bit crappy that the account settings and subscription options are only available on their website and not via app or mobile.

Jesse Stone: Night Passage (2006) is on the USA Netflix. Tom Selleck plays a disgraced alcoholic cop who relocates to a small town in Pennsylvania to take up a position as police chief. It's TV movie fare but decent and watchable for something to stick on during a weeknight.

Based on a Robert Parker novel. There were many sequels of varying quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Yes. It's a four hour long Lars Von Trier film about a sex addict. Pretty much does what it says on the tin :pac:

Occasionally brilliant (the Uma Thurman section particularly), occasionally ridiculous, it's a weird and predictably self-indulgent effort that doesn't come close to working all the time but is rarely less than interesting and uncompromising.

So 2 hours and 3.76GB later I just finished the first film.

I honestly don't know what I feel about it, it was interesting, very very weird but interesting nonetheless.

Definitely one to watch... Albeit with the volume down!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Not a recommendation but just something I noticed.

I have the old €7 price grandfathered for 2 years I think and I was just look at my account and all the price plans show up as €7 for me.

So the 4 screen, ultra HD cost the same as 1 screen non HD.

Is this like that for anyone else?

Never knew 3 more people could watch something at the same time as me!:pac:

on my account, the 2nd option, 2 screen, at 6.99 is cheaper than the 1screen 7.99. im also locked in to that price for another year at least. the 3rd option of 4 screens is 12 euro...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Separate threads for film & TV
    For those interested in the Ultra HD option for 4K displays, there's a FAQ here, including a list of supported displays.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

yankinlk wrote: »
    on my account, the 2nd option, 2 screen, at 6.99 is cheaper than the 1screen 7.99. im also locked in to that price for another year at least. the 3rd option of 4 screens is 12 euro...

That's odd, on mine every one of them cost €7 regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Some great foreign language films on there, including The Secret in their Eyes and North Sea Texas.

My current plan is "Watch 2 screens at a time in HD." which costs €7.99. The "Watch 4 screens at a time in HD and Ultra HD" option is €11.99.

Bizarrely I can switch to a "Watch 1 screen at a time in standard definition" for the same price at €7.99.

Does Netflix do any seasonal special promotions with their movie library? It's halloween in a few weeks and I would have expected a special section on all of the apps plugging some halloween and horror films.

The horror section leaves something to be desiredal across various regions. I don't even think John Carpenter's original Halloween is available :confused:

Same deal with Christmas films, there's a few of the classics but I'd have expected way more. This is my first year on Netflix so am still a newbie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lukas Moodysson's light but delightful We Are The Best is on Netflix Ireland. A good bet if you liked Together, and finds him back in more comfortable territory than his more dour and experimental efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

I can sort of see the Together link but that, Show Me Love and Lilya 4-ever are streets ahead of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Haven't seen Together yet but I'd take We Are the Best over Lilya any day of the week, the latter being a film that was just emotionally draining but little else for me.

Excision is on Ireland Netflix. I think it's billed as a horror but it's more a macabre thriller with some black comedy. A teenage girl has some unusual fantasies and a unique interest in biology and performing surgery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wasn't a big fan of Lilya either, it's solid enough but also incredibly obvious and I would say almost hectoring in the level of misery it heaps upon its protagonist. Not a bad film, but always vastly prefer Together and Show Me Love. We Are the Best doesn't quite reach the heights of those two films, but it isn't IMO too far off either.

They're all infinitely preferable to the repugnant Hole in My Heart though :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Lukas Moodysson's light but delightful We Are The Best is on Netflix Ireland. A good bet if you liked Together, and finds him back in more comfortable territory than his more dour and experimental efforts.

Excellent, thanks for this - might throw it on tonight, I missed it at the cinema but it looks like a charming film.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gave Knights of Badassdom a look on Canadian netflix the other night after looking forward to it for ages. Waste of a good cast, bar one or two moments it was pretty crap. I got the impression it was cut to shreds in the editing room as it felt very disjointed.

Phoebas wrote: »
    The Irish Times have come up with a list of their top 50 Netflix movies.

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/the-top-50-films-on-netflix-1.1953655?page=1

Good list here of 50 'weird' documentaries. Some of them are on various Netflix regions. http://letterboxd.com/korine1966/list/total-films-50-weirdest-documentaries

Sick:The Life and Death of Bob Flanagan was on the US one until a few days ago but was removed unfortunately (it wasn't on moreflicks).

The Imposter is on USA.

Dark Days is on Irish.

Crumb is on France.

Crazy Love and Lost in La Mancha is on most regions iirc.

Lemmy is on Canada.

Lake of Fire is on Youtube not sure if it's on Netflix.

I can't remember which region Microcosmos is on, maybe Mexico.

They're the ones I've found thus far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Great Danish comedy called Klown on the Irish Netflix(subtitled). I believe it's a tv show too but Netflix only has the movie up. It's very funny. Like a really dark version of curb your enthusiasm

If anyone knows of which Netflix has the tv series, please let me know. Danish didn't have it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Ageyev wrote: »
    Does Netflix do any seasonal special promotions with their movie library? It's halloween in a few weeks and I would have expected a special section on all of the apps plugging some halloween and horror films.

The horror section leaves something to be desiredal across various regions. I don't even think John Carpenter's original Halloween is available :confused:

Same deal with Christmas films, there's a few of the classics but I'd have expected way more. This is my first year on Netflix so am still a newbie.

They do but don't expect much extra to be added. They usually add a few movies of that Genre and have a link in the menu for them e.g. "Xmas movies"
    They also do it around Oscar season

EyeSight wrote: »
    Great Danish comedy called Klown on the Irish Netflix(subtitled). I believe it's a tv show too but Netflix only has the movie up. It's very funny. Like a really dark version of curb your enthusiasm

If anyone knows of which Netflix has the tv series, please let me know. Danish didn't have it :(

Nothing coming up on Moreflicks but that is not definitive.

They need to up their game in Danish/Swedish/Finish/Norwegian/Dutch TV shows and films. Still no Borgen, still no Dicte, no series two of Rita, still no series three of Forbrydelsen/The Killing, still no Those Who Kill/Den Som Draeber and probably lots of other stuff they should subtitle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The 2nd series of The Bridge has been added to UK/Ireland. Loved the first series and I had the 2nd all on my DVR ready to watch when the bloody box broke and had to be replaced, lost all my recordings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Sweet, been waiting a while for the second season of The Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The 2nd series of The Bridge has been added to UK/Ireland. Loved the first series and I had the 2nd all on my DVR ready to watch when the bloody box broke and had to be replaced, lost all my recordings :(

its nearly as good as the first

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was just thinking about this this morning, absolutely loved the first season and couldn't have arrived at a better time as I just finished Walking Dead season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Which version of The Bridge are you talking about?

adox wrote: »

Danish/Swedish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

adox wrote: »

The Original one.. Bron

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yeah, sorry, should have specified, I forgot there was an American remake. Actually.... wasn't there an English one too? Or did that not happen?

Yeah, sorry, should have specified, I forgot there was an American remake. Actually.... wasn't there an English one too? Or did that not happen?

Someone told me there was and it was called The Tunnel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Someone told me there was and it was called The Tunnel?

Yep

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2711738/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement