Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    Transcendence added to Netflix Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Very underrated film.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Interesting addition to US Netflix, Series 1 of Wolfblood a CBBC Series started about 2 years ago, following the adventures of 4 teenagers 2 of which have powers to turn into Wolves. It's actually a pretty decent drama and the scenery and cinematography is beautiful, it's certainly not filmed like a kids show, all bright lights and brighter faces. Worth a look.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kill Your Darlings is on the irish site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Watched a movie called "A Hijacking" the other day. V enjoyable movie about a ship getting taken over by Somali pirates and the efforts to get them back.

Subtitled Scandanavian movie.

Not a bad film at all! After watching The Killing, all the actors are popping up everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Wolf of Wall St. up on Netflix Brazil also.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've been watching Luther on UK/Ireland.

BBC show from a few years ago about a London detective (Idris Elba) whose private life gets in the way of his work... a lot.
    Sounds like a dozen other police shows out there but I'm pleasantly surprised so far. There's a case of the week story every episode but the murder from the first episode carries over throughout the series as the murderer becomes weirdly obsessed with Luther and he with her.

I've only watched 4 episodes so far and I do wonder how long they can carry certain aspects of it on before it gets boring and repetitive but there's only 3 series so maybe they can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Alice Morgan is one my favorite tv characters in recent memory.

Luther holds up rather well across the three series I'd have to say.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Alice Morgan is one my favorite tv characters in recent memory.

Luther holds up rather well across the three series I'd have to say.

It's weird how much I actually like her. I don't know what that says about me but there you have it :D

In the 4th episode, I think, she's done something awful and he's shouting at her and she's shouting "SHOW ME SOME GRATITUDE" and I found myself thinking, yeah, Luther, show her some damn gratitude! :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

For those who enjoy Nordic noir, False Trail is well worth watching on UK netflix. Rolf Lassgård always gives a solid performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

BBC show from a few years ago about a London detective (Idris Elba) whose private life gets in the way of his work... a lot.
    Sounds like a dozen other police shows out there but I'm pleasantly surprised so far. There's a case of the week story every episode but the murder from the first episode carries over throughout the series as the murderer becomes weirdly obsessed with Luther and he with her.

I've only watched 4 episodes so far and I do wonder how long they can carry certain aspects of it on before it gets boring and repetitive but there's only 3 series so maybe they can get away with it.

Easily one of the best tv shows of recent years. I couldn't count the amount of my friends who i've turned onto this show and each of them has loved it as much as I have.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

this is what i detest about some series. they should do them like true detective or breaking bad. the case of the week (CSI effect) becomes unbelievable at times

Roquentin wrote: »
    this is what i detest about some series. they should do them like true detective or breaking bad. the case of the week (CSI effect) becomes unbelievable at times

Well, in BBC series, it's not so bad because there's only 6 episodes a series but in the US shows it's ridiculous. 22 individual cases every season gets boring very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think it depends on the show. Some work that way and some don't. I always preferred the Monster of the Week episodes of The X Files over the wanky Conspiracy episodes for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

flazio wrote:
    Interesting addition to US Netflix, Series 1 of Wolfblood a CBBC Series started about 2 years ago, following the adventures of 4 teenagers 2 of which have powers to turn into Wolves. It's actually a pretty decent drama and the scenery and cinematography is beautiful, it's certainly not filmed like a kids show, all bright lights and brighter faces. Worth a look.

shades of 'box of delights'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I think it depends on the show. Some work that way and some don't. I always preferred the Monster of the Week episodes of The X Files over the wanky Conspiracy episodes for example.

Succinctly put sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

The Blacklist has sunk into that uninspired "monster/serial killer/terrorist of the week" thing alonside a painfully slow/boring story arc.

Some TV show writers/producers seem to have forgotten that The X-Files did that to death 20 years ago.

Edit: post at same time as Beefy78

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I don't mind case of the week shows as the odd bit of light entertainment. Or in shows like Buffy where the formula works exceptionally well. I hate it though in shows where it simply does not work. Luther handles the formula pretty well though and there's a nice sense of plot threads developing. You can't watch episodes out of order. In CSI you often can.

The problem is when the weekly stand-alone episodes are crap but contain nuggets of info and plot points about the serial story arc so if you don't watch them you could miss out on important developments.

Luther was very good, it helped it was short but it did get a daft and very over the top. However, I do find it a bit hard to watch Idris Elba after he did them awful TV adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

sweetie wrote: »
    shades of 'box of delights'?
    Never heard of 'Box of Delights' so couldn't tell you.

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    I don't mind case of the week shows as the odd bit of light entertainment. Or in shows like Buffy where the formula works exceptionally well. I hate it though in shows where it simply does not work. Luther handles the formula pretty well though and there's a nice sense of plot threads developing. You can't watch episodes out of order. In CSI you often can.

I think the characters have to be extremely well written in order for the story of the week method to work. I only ever watched the original CSI in any great number and I'm pretty sure you could have replaced any one of the characters with someone else entirely and I'd barely have noticed. I watched maybe one full season on DVD and after that I was bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

flazio wrote: »
    Never heard of 'Box of Delights' so couldn't tell you.

here it is. great show

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Easily one of the best tv shows of recent years. I couldn't count the amount of my friends who i've turned onto this show and each of them has loved it as much as I have.

I watched about three episodes and decided that it was pure daft.

The evil protaganist? F**k off

Bambi wrote: »
    I watched about three episodes and decided that it was pure daft.

The evil protaganist? F**k off

Some of the baddies are pretty outlandish tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Luther is class.

It only gets better and I think the few cases the three seasons deal with are very interesting.

I love shows that get better each season. The presentation in terms of visual style, camerawork and audio placement are excellent.

I think the characters have to be extremely well written in order for the story of the week method to work. I only ever watched the original CSI in any great number and I'm pretty sure you could have replaced any one of the characters with someone else entirely and I'd barely have noticed. I watched maybe one full season on DVD and after that I was bored.

i watched about four episodes and saw the cycle. it made miami look like somalia

for me breaking bad/true detective/the sopranos is the template.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Very good documentary on Irish Netflix "Nanking" on the Japanese invasion of China pre world war 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A Separation has been added (re-added?) to Irish Netflix. I'd be disinclined to call any film perfect, but Asghar Farhadi's emotionally devastating, incredibly well crafted film is pretty much flawless.

Moebius, Kim Ki-Duk's latest effort, is also there. Now, 'recommendation' is probably not what I would consider this, because you could well hate it and with good cause. So this is merely an alert that it is there, and you can watch it if you're so inclined. It is dialogue free, and takes Ki-duk's oedipal complex fascination in... unique new directions. I enjoyed it as a blackly comic, self-consciously ridiculous effort, but yeah, don't consider that a recommendation in the traditional sense :pac: Not family viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

A Separation has been added (re-added?) to Irish Netflix. I'd be disinclined to call any film perfect, but Asghar Farhadi's emotionally devastating, incredibly well crafted film is pretty much flawless.

Moebius, Kim Ki-Duk's latest effort, is also there. Now, 'recommendation' is probably not what I would consider this, because you could well hate it and with good cause. So this is merely an alert that it is there, and you can watch it if you're so inclined. It is dialogue free, and takes Ki-duk's oedipal complex fascination in... unique new directions. I enjoyed it as a blackly comic, self-consciously ridiculous effort, but yeah, don't consider that a recommendation in the traditional sense :pac: Not family viewing.

Thanks for the heads-up Johnny, regardless of the results I was always fascinated by Kim Ki Duk's style.
    When you say dialogue free. . . is it in a similar way as Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter. . .and Spring?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement