Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's a very different sort of film to Spring, Summer - polar opposite, one might say! The lack of dialogue is more of an explicit stylistic choice as opposed to the more inherently meditative and quiet tone of his most famous film. Moebius is like a more overtly comic twist on Pieta in a few respects, although its 'comic' value may/will vary from viewer to viewer!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    New Netflix Original coming next March.
    From the creators of Damages comes #Bloodline, a new Netflix original series premiering exclusively on Netflix in March 2015. Starring Kyle Chandler, Ben Mendelsohn, Linda Cardellini, Sam Shepard and Sissy Spacek.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

New Netflix Original coming next March.

Not giving much away there

• Registered Users Posts: 60,596 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

peteeeed wrote: »
    Not giving much away there

It is a teaser in fairness.

From the writers of Damages so if you have seen that it might give some idea I'm guessing.

Anyway anything with Kyle Chandler in it gets the thumbs up from me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Apparently it.... "centers on a close-knit family of four adult siblings whose secrets and scars are revealed when their black sheep brother returns home."

Love Kyle Chandler and Ben Mendelsohn is good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Roquentin wrote: »
    for me breaking bad/true detective/the sopranos is the template.

/Battlestar Galactica

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Good cast for 'Bloodlines' and I lurve Linda Cardellini.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I was minding my friend's kids this morning and handed control of Netflix over to them and they decided to watch something called Fun Size. It's a Nickelodeon film so I wasn't expecting much. It was surprisingly entertaining.

It's about a teen, Wren, who ends up having to mind her annoying little brother on Hallowe'en instead of going to the party of the super cool dreamy school stud. The little brother goes missing and Wren has to find him, basically. It doesn't sound like much but it was surprisingly charming and really funny in some places (disclaimer: I have a bit of a cold and may not be thinking straight, everything's funny today)

I don't know if you can trust what imdb says but it says Fun Size was banned from the Teen Choice Awards the year it was out and they've banned it from ever airing on Nickelodeon TV because it's not the cheesy family friendly BS they usually make. I wouldn't say there's "adult themes" in it but there is a scene where a giant chicken is humping their car and some other bits and bobs that I was surprised to see in a "kids film".

Now, if you're a couple of 30 year olds looking for something to watch to get you in the Hallowe'en mood, probably not the film for you, but if you've got a few younger people to keep entertained over the mid-term you could do worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Guys,

Any good Sci fi horror for tonight please ? Any region is grand.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Guys,

Any good Sci fi horror for tonight please ? Any region is grand.
    Thanks

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2317225/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

noodler wrote: »
    /Battlestar Galactica

The Wire tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

giz a few horrors or sci fi dere will ya ?

Sinister for a horror film. Ethan Hawke is a true crime writer who moves into a house where a family were murdered and then weird stuff starts happening. The scares are a bit cheap but it's decent enough to watch.

If you haven't seen these then have a look:
    Cabin in the Woods, Let the Right One In, The Host (Korean creature feature), Troll Hunter (Norwegian found-footage creature feature).

They're all on the USA Netflix. Few of them are on the Ireland one too. I believe 'We Are What We Are" is good but I've not seen it, it's on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

New Bill Murray flik St Vincent is up on Netflix France.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

For those afraid of venturing into the swamp of the Netflix horror section I can tell you that Sinister (2012) is a solid and extremely frightening nod-of-the-head to Stephen King. The ever-reliable Ethan Hawke stars in the main role.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭McGrath5

A Separation has been added (re-added?) to Irish Netflix. I'd be disinclined to call any film perfect, but Asghar Farhadi's emotionally devastating, incredibly well crafted film is pretty much flawless.

Cheers for the recommendation, watched this last night and found it very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Highly recommend the documentary "Print the Legend" focusing on the 3D printing industry mainly focusing on 2 startups. Even if the idea of 3D printing bores you it is well worth a watch. How the culture of the start ups and their people change and the company infighting is the real appeal of this doc. If you like The Social Network you will love this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

deisedude wrote: »
    Highly recommend the documentary "Print the Legend" focusing on the 3D printing industry mainly focusing on 2 startups. Even if the idea of 3D printing bores you it is well worth a watch. How the culture of the start ups and their people change and the company infighting is the real appeal of this doc. If you like The Social Network you will love this

Got a chance to watch the first 30 mins of it last week and will definitely finish it.

3D Printing is the next internet imho.

Valmont wrote: »
    For those afraid of venturing into the swamp of the Netflix horror section I can tell you that Sinister (2012) is a solid and extremely frightening nod-of-the-head to Stephen King. The ever-reliable Ethan Hawke stars in the main role.

Lol, so true. They do have Halloweens 6-8 however. Classic horror fare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Janreichle

Lawless!! Great watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Season 6 of Sons of Anarchy has been added to the american netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Season 6 of Sons of Anarchy has been added to the american netflix.

Excellent.

Nearly done with the Walking Dead S4!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Wow Luther is brilliant! pity it's only 3 series, actually think it's better then Sherlock and up there with True Detective, well worth watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Watched a horror film on US Netflix yesterday that I quite enjoyed. 'The Taking Of Deborah Logan'

It's a found footage film but the premise is quite interesting, Deborah is an elderly woman in the early stages of Alzheimer's, and is executed quite well. There is some good acting in it and it definitely held my interest for the running time.

I'll not say too much about but check it out if you're looking for a good Halloween flick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The Double is on Yank netflix and is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The Double is on Yank netflix and is very good.

Great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

American Horror Story: Coven now up on Netflix Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

adox wrote: »
    American Horror Story: Coven now up on Netflix Ireland.

Currently working my way through the first season. It's interesting to say the least! I've heard great things about Coven.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Loughc wrote: »
    Currently working my way through the first season. It's interesting to say the least! I've heard great things about Coven.

I'm about half way through Coven and feel it's the weakest season so far, although still entertaining. You are in for a real treat with season 2 Asylum. It's bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭deisedude

Loughc wrote: »

Is it scary? Might have a look if it is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement