Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Just watched Stretch and its the kind of inspired absurdity that cinema could do with more often. It's like an acid trip version of Drive, only ten times more insane than you imagine.

Just watched this tonight. The first hour of it was absolutely superb. Off the wall, daft, ludicrous and absolutely hilarious. It loses steam fairly drastically around the time he goes to collect the briefcase and rumblings of a proper plot begin to emerge but it's still much more entertaining than most. Definitely was at its best as a Lebowski-esque episodic adventure with no regard for much of an overall story other than gathering money. Completely worth the watch for that first hour, and especially the first cameo which is destined to go down as one the finest moments of self parody.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Season 9 of Its Always Sunny is on the American Netflix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Season 9 of Its Always Sunny is on the American Netflix

I've already seen season 9. Am i missing something here?

Edit: It says new episodes on the American netflix, but not on the Irish. I'm assuming Irish netflix got them first for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

I've already seen season 9. Am i missing something here?

Edit: It says new episodes on the American netflix, but not on the Irish. I'm assuming Irish netflix got them first for some reason.

it's been on the irish one with a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Just realised Lions for Lambs is on the Irish Netflix. Great film. Don't understand why something like that wouldn't be advertised more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭metroburgers

Just realised Lions for Lambs is on the Irish Netflix. Great film. Don't understand why something like that wouldn't be advertised more.

terrible film... so boring... its really ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 60,597 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    Netflix to adapt Lemony Snicket books into TV series.
    Lemony Snicket’s popular children’s book series A Series of Unfortunate Events will be adapted into an original television series, Netflix announced on Wednesday.

The 13-book series follows orphaned siblings Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire as they stumble through a world of mystery and misfortune. Netflix acquired the rights and the show will be produced in association with Paramount Television, which made the 2004 film adaptation. Snicket, the pen name of American writer Daniel Handler, will be an executive producer.
    http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2014/nov/05/netflix-adapt-lemony-snicket-books-tv

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

It should have been a stage-play, it's just a long conversation in an office

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just watched this tonight. The first hour of it was absolutely superb. Off the wall, daft, ludicrous and absolutely hilarious. It loses steam fairly drastically around the time he goes to collect the briefcase and rumblings of a proper plot begin to emerge but it's still much more entertaining than most. Definitely was at its best as a Lebowski-esque episodic adventure with no regard for much of an overall story other than gathering money. Completely worth the watch for that first hour, and especially the first cameo which is destined to go down as one the finest moments of self parody.

I watched that yesterday and enjoyed it a lot, as you say it does lose a bit of steam towards the end but overall it was very funny and entertaining.

Are you talking about the
    Hoff
    cameo or
    Daryl from The Walking Dead? I thought it was a nice touch having the crossbow there.

Not for everyone I suppose. I could understand some people thinking it's a bit preachy but I just think it's really well made and has some great performances, particularly Tom Cruise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I watched that yesterday and enjoyed it a lot, as you say it does lose a bit of steam towards the end but overall it was very funny and entertaining.

Are you talking about the
    Hoff
    cameo or
    Daryl from The Walking Dead? I thought it was a nice touch having the crossbow there.
    The Hoff one. Haven't watched TWD since season 1 so I didn't even notice whatever the reference was to him. The Hoff rant was amazing, and I can't stand the guy. I didn't think he had an ounce of self-awareness until this film. He actually looked quite frightening as the camera got closer and closer to his face.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Hoff one. Haven't watched TWD since season 1 so I didn't even notice whatever the reference was to him. The Hoff rant was amazing, and I can't stand the guy. I didn't think he had an ounce of self-awareness until this film. He actually looked quite frightening as the camera got closer and closer to his face.

Hah,
    it's not the first time I've seen him send himself up actually, he also had a good cameo in the first Spongebob Squarepants movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

Dunno if it has ever been mentioned here but there is a great channel 4 style Afghanistan war documentary on Canadian Netflix "Fighting on the frontline". Very gritty. It follows different units experiences and has post tour interviews also speaking about the footage. Episode 1 is about hr Apache and Chinook crews.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Maybe somebody said this already but House is on Irish Netflix now. Looking forward to watching all the seasons I missed.

Also, Season 8 of The US Office has been added. Been told it's not the same without Steve Carrell but going to give the first episode a goo here and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Penny Dreadful is on the French netflix. Watch a few episodes it's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Made in bray

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

peteeeed wrote: »
    Made in bray

Bray's been busy this year. Frank, that Jimmy Hendrix film and Penny Dreadful too.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Maybe somebody said this already but House is on Irish Netflix now. Looking forward to watching all the seasons I missed.

Also, Season 8 of The US Office has been added. Been told it's not the same without Steve Carrell but going to give the first episode a goo here and see how I get on.

Personally I preferred it without Carrell. James Spader was a decent addition and Andy Bernard got a more central role, probably my favourite character

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I watched 2 episodes there. First was a bit ropey. Second was an improvement, got a few laughs. We'll see.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Finally got to see Snowpiercer via US Netflix. Demented but fun, with a tone that veered very neatly between humour and seriousness. The premise is obviously a bit daft, but it manages to present it seriously enough without being po-faced about it. I'm still disappointed I didn't get to see it at the cinema, I don't know what that prat Weinstein was up to buying it only to leave it on the shelf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

robocop up on the irish netflix, i enjoyed it , sam jackson steals the show

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭delboy85

I thought it was really, really good. Much better than I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

peteeeed wrote: »
    Made in bray

And parts of Dublin City too

It's the weekend and if you have a spare 4 hours Cleopatra has been added to Netflix US.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Currently watching The Mist, it's a few years old but pretty good so far.

A nice waste of 2 hours it seems!

Currently watching The Mist, it's a few years old but pretty good so far.

A nice waste of 2 hours it seems!

Serious ending on that flick!

No Hollywood ending thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Harry66

Nebraska is on Netflix US

Tell me about it!

Confused me so much but a great film though!

• Advertisement

So I just finished watching a film called The Experiment based off the Stanford Prison Experiment I believe.

Stars Adrien Brody, Forest Whittaker and Cam Gigandet, basically a group of men get sent to a mock prison in return for cash.

Half of them prisoners and half of them guards.

Was an extremely interesting film.

Definitely worth a watch IMO!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement