Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    ^ Couple of good documentaries there.

Brooklyn Nine Nine has grown on me. I wasn't that impressed with the start of Season 1 so stopped watching. I caught a few episodes near the end though and it seems to have improved. It's by no means a classic comedy show but it's better than the likes of 2 and a Half Men or The Big Bang Theory.

Yeah it really comes into it's own once it gets going, really liked by the end.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah it really comes into it's own once it gets going, really liked by the end.

They have a really good cast. One thing I really like is that they don't seem to overdo it on the improv, or possibly they're really good at it. I notice on a lot of new US comedies they just go way overboard on the improv, or worse it's scripted that way in the first place. New Girl is a perfect example of this. Nobody on that show can have a proper conversation, they're all just saying random things to each other and it's supposed to be funny but it's just like watching some mentally deficient adults shout things at one another. Not that I'm an expert on the matter but I'd imagine the sign of good improv is when it's not that noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Just watched "The Fitzgerald Family Christmas"........not too bad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

dallas buyers club **** yea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Watched a film in German last night called Free Fall (Freier Fall) about a police officer who falls in love with another officer.

Surprisingly very good, ending was a bit sad and the fact you've to read subtitles is a pain but definitely a good film.

Not for everyone but I'd recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Watched a film in German last night called Free Fall (Freier Fall) about a police officer who falls in love with another officer.

Surprisingly very good, ending was a bit sad and the fact you've to read subtitles is a pain but definitely a good film.

I used to hate subtitled movies too but after you watch a couple it's really not a bother. Foreign films can sometimes really make up for the amount of total sh!t Hollywood's been churning out in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I second that. Saw it myself last week. Very solid film and the main character was well written and well acted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I second that. Saw it myself last week. Very solid film and the main character was well written and well acted.

Was reading fanfiction about it.... Feel like a right saddo now so I do haha!

Was in Germany only a week ago so I could comprehend most of it but the subtitles definitely helped :pac:

Great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dallas Buyers Club added to Netflix Ireland/UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

Is Enemy with Jake Gyllenhall on Netflix?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

No. Use http://www.moreflicks.com/ if you want to find out if a movie is on Netflix

A Most Wanted Man is on the Mexican Flix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

New Bill Burr Special Available today, love the guy!!

Cheap Thrills is on Netflix Germany, it's properly my favorite film of the year. A deliciously dark and blackly comedic tale of how far two people will go for a little cash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

shortys94 wrote: »
    New Bill Burr Special Available today, love the guy!!

Why, in the name of God, would they film a comedy special in black and white? :confused:

It looks shîte.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Why, in the name of God, would they film a comedy special in black and white? :confused:

It looks shîte.

Did you watch it all though? How is the stuff that actually matters, like the jokes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

How can i check what region of Netflix a particular movie is showing on. For example, I'm in the mood to watch withnail and I tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

s8n wrote: »
    How can i check what region of Netflix a particular movie is showing on. For example, I'm in the mood to watch withnail and I tonight

http://www.moreflicks.com/

Awesome - many thanks (pity the film I want isn't on Netflix !!)

Cheap Thrills is on Netflix Germany, it's properly my favorite film of the year. A deliciously dark and blackly comedic tale of how far two people will go for a little cash.

I'm going to give it a spin based on this recommendation

• Advertisement

Holy sh!t - that was dark.

Good recommendation

s8n wrote: »
    I'm going to give it a spin based on this recommendation
    Is it on Irish netflix?

batnolan wrote: »
    Is it on Irish netflix?

Think it's just on the German Flix but it's well worth getting and is now in the HMV/Xtravision 2 Blu-Rays for 15 euro offer. I paid 16 euro for it a number of months back and would happily have paid double. It's just a fantastic piece of cinema and one I will return to time and again. I rewatched it almost instantly after first watching it and have rewatched the fine 20 minutes a dozen times at least

Think it's just on the German Flix but it's well worth getting and is now in the HMV/Xtravision 2 Blu-Rays for 15 euro offer. I paid 16 euro for it a number of months back and would happily have paid double. It's just a fantastic piece of cinema and one I will return to time and again. I rewatched it almost instantly after first watching it and have rewatched the fine 20 minutes a dozen times at least

That's quite the endorsement!

batnolan wrote: »
    That's quite the endorsement!

If you like you cinema a little dark and opt to get the Blu-Ray then throw in Revenge for Jolly which is also on the offer. You'll have the perfect night of dark laughs and violence to keep you going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The very recently released Nightbreed Directors Cut is on US Nexflix.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The Lunchbox is on UK/Ireland now. Haven't seen it myself but heard people raving about it earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Very dark alright. Makes you think how far you would go yourself for a quick buck.

Good recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The Grand Budapest Hotel is on Netflix Canada.

Great film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

The Lunchbox is on UK/Ireland now. Haven't seen it myself but heard people raving about it earlier this year.

excellent thanks. another great recommendation from thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement