Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Think it's just on the German Flix but it's well worth getting and is now in the HMV/Xtravision 2 Blu-Rays for 15 euro offer. I paid 16 euro for it a number of months back and would happily have paid double. It's just a fantastic piece of cinema and one I will return to time and again. I rewatched it almost instantly after first watching it and have rewatched the fine 20 minutes a dozen times at least

It's also on the Austrian & Swiss Netflix. I actually couldn't find it on the German one & thought I was spelling it wrong so I did a search on Sara Paxton
    but it wasn't listed under her films either. I watched it on the Austrian one though. Good film, dark, violent & very funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For something completely different, Exhibition is on Irish Netflix. It caught me off guard because I very strongly disliked Joanna Hogg's previous film Archipelago. Exhibition is much more accomplished, though - a strange, challenging yet compulsive watch that is reticent to speak down to the audience.

It was one of the most pleasant surprises of 2014 for me. However I can't recommend it wholeheartedly because it won't be for everybody, but if you're in the mood for something off the beaten track it could be worth your time. Just prepare to work for some of the payoffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I didn't enjoy Dallas Buyer's Club!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Gave Stephen Chow's latest film a look on US Netflix, Journey to the West. It was a bit mad, crazy in fact but a lot of fun all the same(dodgy CG aside). If you liked Shaolin Soccer and Kung-Fu Hustle I'd give it a watch, also if you were a fan of the TV show Monkey it is based on the same book as that was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Virunga.

Very heartfelt and intense Netflix made (or funded - it's hard to tell with Netflix) documentary.
    Follows the story of an oil company's attempt to push through with drilling in the Virgunga National Park in Congo.

I find that Netflix made/funded content is generally hit and miss, but think this one is definitely worth a watch. Really powerful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I watched all of Happy Valley yesterday, absolutely brilliant. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Cheap Thrills is on Netflix Germany, it's properly my favorite film of the year. A deliciously dark and blackly comedic tale of how far two people will go for a little cash.

For those without german cousins it's also on Sky Go / movies on demand at the moment.
    I watched all of Happy Valley yesterday, absolutely brilliant. Loved it.

We watched it recently too and found it brilliant. Reminded me of Fargo crossed with Coronation st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Why, in the name of God, would they film a comedy special in black and white? :confused:

It looks shîte.

I really dont mind the black and white, as another poster said all that matters are the jokes..

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

shortys94 wrote: »
    I really dont mind the black and white, as another poster said all that matters are the jokes..

But it's also a film so obviously the visuals do matter. If the visual didn't matter they should have just recorded it for a podcast or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,598 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

batnolan wrote: »
    But it's also a film so obviously the visuals do matter. If the visual didn't matter they should have just recorded it for a podcast or something.

It's one guy standing on stage telling jokes not that many visuals to be seen.

It should about the jokes for me.

If B&W distracts from the jokes they probably aren't that good in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Apparently Bill Burr said on Joe Rogans podcast that he did the special in black and white because he hates HD and also something to do with the use of filters on IG/FB nowadays

It's one guy standing on stage telling jokes not that many visuals to be seen.

It should about the jokes for me.

If B&W distracts from the jokes they probably aren't that good in the first place.

If I were to enjoy watching a comedian on dvd telling jokes and found the visual annoying then I probably wouldn't enjoy the set as much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

sweetie wrote: »
    We watched it recently too and found it brilliant. Reminded me of Fargo crossed with Coronation st.

... I'm totally sold now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Apparently Bill Burr said on Joe Rogans podcast that he did the special in black and white because he hates HD and also something to do with the use of filters on IG/FB nowadays

Yea he had a piece on it with Conan too, he likes the grittiness of it

I really dont see any issue with the black and white, all my mates have liked the black and white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I watched that Cheap Thrills film and thought it was dirt, I don't know what people saw in it at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Did you watch it all though? How is the stuff that actually matters, like the jokes?

Terrible looking black and white filming aside it was by far the weakest of his three specials, and Im a big fan. The thing about black and white is that, in the right context of a Hollywood film it can look amazing. But with one man standing on a stage for 80 minutes? No, it looked sh*te.

That said, he nailed the relationship stuff in it and there were some real laugh out loud moments.

Cheap Thrills is on Netflix Germany, it's properly my favorite film of the year. A deliciously dark and blackly comedic tale of how far two people will go for a little cash.
    Ageyev wrote: »
    I watched that Cheap Thrills film and thought it was dirt, I don't know what people saw in it at all.

I bought it this evening for 6 euro in Xtravision.

I enjoyed it. Todd Packer (office reference) gives a great performance as does the dude who plays Vince. It is a rudimentary plot, how low would you stoop for some money? However it is carried well by the chemistry between the actors. Likewise, not once do the protagonists manipulate Vince and Craig into doing something. Instead they always give Vince and Craig the choice. It is Vince and Craig who manipulate and denigrate and physically assault each other.

Enjoyable, it wasn't hilarious but got a couple of laughs. A solid 7/10.

Ageyev wrote: »

I bought it this evening for 6 euro in Xtravision.

I enjoyed it. Todd Packer (office reference) gives a great performance as does the dude who plays Vince. It is a rudimentary plot, how low would you stoop for some money? However it is carried well by the chemistry between the actors. Likewise, not once do the protagonists manipulate Vince and Craig into doing something. Instead they always give Vince and Craig the choice. It is Vince and Craig who manipulate and denigrate and physically assault each other.

Enjoyable, it wasn't hilarious but got a couple of laughs. A solid 7/10.

Also can someone explain the economics of it. For example, Craig is paying $4,600 dollars per month for an awfully small and crappy bedsit. So that is $55,200 per year. So the money Craig wins is only good enough for 5 years rent and that crappy bedsit. It doesn't seem like an awful lot considering what they put themselves through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Peaky Blinders season 2 is up on the US site now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Just watched Cheap Thrills. It is ok but not as good as the previous posts in here were saying I don't think. It was better than 'Would You Rather' which is a very similar film that I saw recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Just watched Cheap Thrills. It is ok but not as good as the previous posts in here were saying I don't think. It was better than 'Would You Rather' which is a very similar film that I saw recently.

I was expecting nothing from Cheap Thrills but it is fine weekend braindead fare. Thumbs up for that alone. Also Would You Rather is the same. I didnt know anything about either before i watched them which helped a lot. Would You Rather was the more shocking for me in a good way

Marco Polo added to all regions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Marco Polo added to all regions.

Reviews so far aren't great

Few new interesting additions to the US Netflix.

Broadchurch
    Get Santa (looks terrible but only in cinemas here)
    Nick Offerman: American Ham
    In Your Eyes
    I Am Yours
    Drive Hard (Truly dreadful piece of crap with John Cusack and Thomas Jane)
    I Am ALi
    InREalLife
    Korengal
    The Strange Color of your Body's Tears

The female Expendables added to Nextflix US it's called Mercenaries.

Zoë Bell, Kristanna Loken, Vivica A. Fox, Brigitte Nielsen & the awesome Cynthia Rothrock in I think her first movie in a decade.

I haven't seen it yet but I am expecting a total utter rubbish z movie fun.

Sunday afternoon sorted after the football.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier added to Netflix Netherlands.

The female Expendables added to Nextflix US it's called Mercenaries.

Zoë Bell, Kristanna Loken, Vivica A. Fox, Brigitte Nielsen & the awesome Cynthia Rothrock in I think her first movie in a decade.

I haven't seen it yet but I am expecting a total utter rubbish z movie fun.

Sunday afternoon sorted after the football.

Expendabelles is the female expendables, hasn't been made yet

Expendabelles is the female expendables, hasn't been made yet

Ok so.

Ok so.

You could be right about the mindless rubbish though, its 3.7 on imdb lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Mercenaries is one of the Asylum's "mockbusters". Maybe don't watch it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement