Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Separate threads for film & TV
    Ageyev wrote: »
    Yeah stuff disappearing really pisses me and others off.

And yeah, some titles I guess are from digital copies made for early DVDs. I came across a film recently that still had reel markers/cigarette burns.

Justified seems to have disappeared from the Irish netflix which is a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Thing will probably disapper alot more now from Netflix Ireland/UK that Amazon is upping it's game buying rights as well.

They will both probably fight it out for the big shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Making my way through Battlestar Galatica now, enjoying it so far, addictive series. I'm on the second season at the moment but dose anyone know when it will be due to expire Thanks.

Its been there for ages so you should be safe enough.

I recommend watching Caprica afterward. Its a prequel series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Its been there for ages so you should be safe enough.

I recommend watching Caprica afterward. Its a prequel series.

Conversely, and I hope you don't mind, I would recommend you avoid Caprica, too slow-moving for my taste especially after the rollercoaster that was BSG

It's a disaster is a decent movie on Netflix Ireland, I wasn't expecting much but it's entertaining without taking itself too seriously as these "talky" movies sometimes can. I also loved the ending.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Thing will probably disapper alot more now from Netflix Ireland/UK that Amazon is upping it's game buying rights as well.

I read somewhere, cant remember where, that Netflix plan to outbid Sky for the rights of hundreds of film titles with two or three of the main studios when Sky's contract with them expires in 2016.

• Advertisement

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I read somewhere, cant remember where, that Netflix plan to outbid Sky for the rights of hundreds of film titles with two or three of the main studios when Sky's contract with them expires in 2016.

Sky probably don't have much money left after spending over £4b on the Premier League rights.

So I would say Netflix and Amazon will fight it out Netflix probably have the advanatage already having huge deals with the likes of Disney in the bag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Netflix should setup a Marvel Comics Universe category and add all the superhero movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Don't know if it has already been mentioned or not but i found a great documentary last night i came across a couple of years back called Dear Zachary on the U.S netflix.

About a filmmaker who decides to memorialise a murdered friend when his friend's ex-girlfriend announces she is expecting his son, really packs a punch.

Just finished watching it .......... nothing I've ever watched or read has affected me as much as watching this has ......... it'll stay with me forever.

If you plan to watch this ........ DON'T.

If you still plan to watch it then be prepared to be unprepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Just finished watching it .......... nothing I've ever watched or read has affected me as much as watching this has ......... it'll stay with me forever.

If you plan to watch this ........ DON'T.

If you still plan to watch it then be prepared to be unprepared.

Its a really strong mix of emotions after watching it Anger, Sadness empathy for the grandparents for what they had to go through. I've been on forums where people haven't been able to get the movie out of there heads for days.

I have heard criticism of the movie whereby people calling it poorly made, badly edited or how the director decides to portray Shirley as this vile monstrous beast which I find completely ridiculous.

Its a really strong mix of emotions after watching it Anger, Sadness empathy for the grandparents for what they had to go through. I've been on forums where people haven't been able to get the movie out of there heads for days.

I have heard criticism of the movie whereby people calling it poorly made, badly edited or how the director decides to portray Shirley as this vile monstrous beast which I find completely ridiculous.

I think that description of her is being kind .........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Someone mentioned "freaks and geeks". In loving it so far. Shane there is only one season. So many familiar faces in it and the girl in it is hot :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

They would want to be expanding it's library for my monthly fee and not shrinking it. I can go elsewhere and get these things for free, I stick with Netflix for the convienience it brings.

But if their collection is going to get smaller then they can feck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Were they Irish accents I was hearing in the Newfoundland interviews?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ageyev wrote: »
    Were they Irish accents I was hearing in the Newfoundland interviews?

Some Newfoundland accents are very similar to Irish ones. Lots of Irish people settled there and stayed in their own little communities so the accent stuck. There's a TV show set in St. Johns, Republic of Doyle, and when I first saw it I couldn't figure out why they were doing really bad Irish accents. Turns out they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

'tracks' has been added to irish netflix, its a love it or hate it movie, i loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

donfers wrote: »

ah no, i was hoping they would add series 6 soon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

donfers wrote: »

Getting increasingly frustrated with this carry on; I know the whys of it all, and I was all caught up on Justified anyway, but more than once I've fired up netflix only to find the random show/film we were meaning to watch has disappeared into the licensing ether.

While there's the odd gem that pops up, Netflix's UK/IE catalogue just resembles a poorly stocked VHS store, full o f not-quite up-to-date TV shows and cinematic detritus even the ScyFy would pass on. I've ear marked a few bits n' bobs like Blue Ruin and The Warriors (:D) but I find myself missing the days of Xtra-vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

pixelburp wrote: »
    Getting increasingly frustrated with this carry on; I know the whys of it all, and I was all caught up on Justified anyway, but more than once I've fired up netflix only to find the random show/film we were meaning to watch has disappeared into the licensing ether.

While there's the odd gem that pops up, Netflix's UK/IE catalogue just resembles a poorly stocked VHS store, full o f not-quite up-to-date TV shows and cinematic detritus even the ScyFy would pass on. I've ear marked a few bits n' bobs like Blue Ruin and The Warriors (:D) but I find myself missing the days of Xtra-vision.

It badly needs a "catch it before its gone" section, or at the very least "available for xx days" in the show description. I was 5 episodes into a french detective show whose name eludes me now, when it just disappeared overnight. I was raging.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It badly needs a "catch it before its gone" section, or at the very least "available for xx days" in the show description. I was 5 episodes into a french detective show whose name eludes me now, when it just disappeared overnight. I was raging.

Spiral? They used to have all 4 seasons now it's just the first, was annoying as I only watched the first two.

I still think the Irish catalogue has gotten very good though, particularly in acquiring smaller films like Blue Ruin or Tracks today for example. This suits me fine as any blockbuster type stuff I want to see is easy to see in the cinema, it's the smaller films that my local don't get in I tend to miss and Netflix is pretty good for those.

TV show situation can be very frustrating though, but a lot of stuff that gets taken down tends to return at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Spiral? They used to have all 4 seasons now it's just the first, was annoying as I only watched the first two.

Thats the one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i was on series 4 of rescue me when that left the building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Virunga. I really enjoyed it. Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

This suits me fine as any blockbuster type stuff I want to see is easy to see in the cinema, it's the smaller films that my local don't get in I tend to miss and Netflix is pretty good for those.

TV show situation can be very frustrating though, but a lot of stuff that gets taken down tends to return at some stage.

Couldn't agree more, the little gems you find when searching for me is the beauty of netflix. Between the searches and this thread in particular, I've never once regretted my subscription to it.

To be honest for e7.99 a month I wouldn't be rushing back to Xtra-Vision anytime soon ...........

If you add something to your list there is a "xxxxx will leave Netflix on xxxxx date" ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

MadDog76 wrote: »
    To be honest for e7.99 a month I wouldn't be rushing back to Xtra-Vision anytime soon ...........

If you add something to your list there is a "xxxxx will leave Netflix on xxxxx date" ..........
    I tried this out - I add a film and tv series to my list but I don't see anything telling me that xxxx will leave Netflix on xxxx date

EDIT: I see it now when I have another look under http://netflix.maft.uk/ Superbad will end 21 February and it shows the date it will expire on Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It's just season 4 on the irish one now, I was going to watch it until I spotted it was season 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Yep it's a croc and stuff disappearing is one solid reason to access what you want by other means. Fwiw US Netflix has 4,000+ more titles than the Ireland one.

I don't really follow people's argument "oh but it's only €x". Of course it is cheaper than renting tapes because it is an internet streaming service not a bricks and mortar shop with stock but that eight to ten quid is a waste if you can't find more than one or two titles to watch or the stuff you do want to watch is only available elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Started watching a travel documentary series recommended by a Canadian friend called Departures about two Canadian friends who decide to travel the world together for a year. Really enjoying it so far, it's re-awoken the travel bug in me :D

Basically two friends having fun and discovering different countries and cultures together without being too fact and figure heavy. An easy watch and recommend for people into travelling. Available on Irish netflix among others.

Marvel's Agent Carter added to Netflix Sweden added weekly.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Marvel's Agent Carter added to Netflix Sweden added weekly.

Brilliant, is it every Thursday they'll be released?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement