Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Separate threads for film & TV
    Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Yeah, it's incredible. It's up there with True Detective for me.

Loved Fargo but have to admit I found True Detective a little underwhelming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

flazio wrote: »
    Are New Zealand and Australia sharing a version, like we do with the UK or are they going to be 2 separate regions?

Don't think we do share with the UK. They're both independent

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Speaking of Australia/New Zealand.... I just watched a brilliant Kiwi film called Boy on Netflix.

Set in 1984 it's about a young boy, named Boy, whose absent father shows up out of the blue claiming to want to spend time with his boys but really he's just looking for a bag of money he buried before going to jail. Although it sounds like a dramatic plot it's actually a very funny film although it still manages to pack some emotional punch. Michael Jackson features heavily too :)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Speaking of Australia/New Zealand.... I just watched a brilliant Kiwi film called Boy on Netflix.

Set in 1984 it's about a young boy, named Boy, whose absent father shows up out of the blue claiming to want to spend time with his boys but really he's just looking for a bag of money he buried before going to jail. Although it sounds like a dramatic plot it's actually a very funny film although it still manages to pack some emotional punch. Michael Jackson features heavily too :)

That's a brilliant movie, the director also made Eagle vs Shark (possibly on US flix)which isn't as good but still worth a watch and the upcoming What we do in the shadows which looks hilarious.

Two really great docs added to the US Netflix in recent days. all this mayhem, the true story of the Pappas brothers, two Australians who in the 90s redefined skateboarding. It's a film best experienced knowing nothing about beforehand.

Our Vinyl Weighs a Ton is the story of Stones Throw Records, a label who defined hip hop and have over the past decades launched some of the best artists around. Non fans of hip hop will find a lot to love too as at heart it's the story of friends and the scars that death leaves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,886 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Harmontown has just been added to Netflix UK.

A documentary about the brash, loud and often unstable creator of 'Community' and the tour he goes on with his podcast.

ht_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Bloodline is coming this month. Wouldn't of been so exited about this until I heard Ben Mendelson is going to star, trailer looks promising and to be fair its headed by a pretty impressive cast Sissy Spacek Kyle Channdler ect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

this is a good thing no doubt but its kind of reaching a point on netflix wherein i have too much things to watch and cant watch them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

My List seems to be working on US Netflix now, surprisingly (I had to check to make sure what region I was on, but there it was)

My List seems to be working on US Netflix now, surprisingly (I had to check to make sure what region I was on, but there it was)

I noticed this too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I have a US account and it always worked for me, but UK/Ire Netflix didn't but does now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Two really great docs added to the US Netflix in recent days. all this mayhem, the true story of the Pappas brothers, two Australians who in the 90s redefined skateboarding. It's a film best experienced knowing nothing about beforehand.

Well worth a watch, I watched it on the basis of your recommendation. It's a great documentary of a great story, and I see Tony Hawk in a different light after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Well worth a watch, I watched it on the basis of your recommendation. It's a great documentary of a great story, and I see Tony Hawk in a different light after it.

Strange I haven't heard of this until I came onto this thread. Life Itself, the Rodger Ebert documentary is coming on to Netflix this month as well, tomorrow I think.

It's really hard to get people to watch it as talking too much about it ruins much of the film, I was familiar with the story beforehand but a number of people I know who watched it with no knowledge of the brothers were truly shocked by what unfolded.

It's really hard to get people to watch it as talking too much about it ruins much of the film, I was familiar with the story beforehand but a number of people I know who watched it with no knowledge of the brothers were truly shocked by what unfolded.

Absolutely, I knew nothing about the brothers and like you say, that's the best way to approach it. And selling a documentary about the skate boarding scene in the 90s and into the 2000s is not exactly the easiest without spoilers. And probably best not to read reviews of it first either, I've read a few since and I think they give away too much.

It's enthralling.

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is up on Netflix Ireland as of this morning. Probably on all the regions at some point today.

I've watches the first 2 episodes and I like it. If you're a fan of Tina Fey or more specifically 30 Rock then you'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Synode wrote: »
    Don't think we do share with the UK. They're both independent

Technically they are separate, but really they are identical bar a handful of titles missing from the Irish catalogue, presumably a couple of films the Irish channels have exclusive rights to show. I'd imagine Oz and NZ will be a similar situation.

It's a one sided documentary where Hawk has no voice, and I have more respect for Hawk who behaved professionally than the 2 brothers who were basically immature drugged up to the eyeballs assholes.

It's a one sided documentary where Hawk has no voice,

He was given the opportunity to comment and declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Wrong thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Rodgers down watching Ojo play.

which region?

It's a one sided documentary where Hawk has no voice, and I have more respect for Hawk who behaved professionally than the 2 brothers who were basically immature drugged up to the eyeballs assholes.

They were kids, kids who came from nothing and who found themselves in a world where drug taking was part and parcel of a sport which was earning them tens of thousands of dollars every month. They don't come across very well at times and they both screwed up their lives but Hawk comes across as a bit of a dick and it's not the first time his ****ty attitude toward other skaters has made him look like a dick. There's no doubt that he's a talented skater but he's a rather boring one who relied on the same routine time after time whereas many of those he competed against were constantly mixing it up and trying next things.

They were kids, kids who came from nothing and who found themselves in a world where drug taking was part and parcel of a sport which was earning them tens of thousands of dollars every month. They don't come across very well at times and they both screwed up their lives but Hawk comes across as a bit of a dick and it's not the first time his ****ty attitude toward other skaters has made him look like a dick. There's no doubt that he's a talented skater but he's a rather boring one who relied on the same routine time after time whereas many of those he competed against were constantly mixing it up and trying next things.
    One of them smuggled coke into Australia, stole everything from his friends house who allowed him to stay there and........... oh yeah murdered his girlfriend. The older brother was a complete bellend who abandoned his wife and 2 kids. But let's have a go at Tony Hawk, a man who didn't take drugs, had a happy marriage, supported his family, had a good business brain and pulled off a 900, something nobody else ever did.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So much for watching it without knowing much about it....

Mickeroo wrote: »
    So much for watching it without knowing much about it....

Sorry.

One of them smuggled coke into Australia, stole everything from his friends house who allowed him to stay there and........... oh yeah murdered his girlfriend. The older brother was a complete bellend who abandoned his wife and 2 kids. But let's have a go at Tony Hawk, a man who didn't take drugs, had a happy marriage, supported his family, had a good business brain and pulled off a 900, something nobody else ever did.

You've just ruined it on anyone who stumbles across your post.
    No one is having a go at Hawk, it's true that in the doc he does not come across very well and it's great that he has had so much success but that doesn't mean that you can't criticise him. The Pappas brothers were tow highly dysfunctional and broken people and like many others before them they tasted success and things went off the rails. Both did things that are inexcusable but considering where they came from and how young they were when they fell into their vices it's a little difficult to sit back and judge them. Tas Pappas was the victim of sexual abuse as a child and has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder of which self destructive behavior is a known symptom. It doesn't excuse what he did but it certainly shines a bit of a light on why he did what he did and since his release from prison he has been, by all accounts a stand up member of society.

You've just ruined it on anyone who stumbles across your post.
    No one is having a go at Hawk, it's true that in the doc he does not come across very well and it's great that he has had so much success but that doesn't mean that you can't criticise him. The Pappas brothers were tow highly dysfunctional and broken people and like many others before them they tasted success and things went off the rails. Both did things that are inexcusable but considering where they came from and how young they were when they fell into their vices it's a little difficult to sit back and judge them. Tas Pappas was the victim of sexual abuse as a child and has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder of which self destructive behavior is a known symptom. It doesn't excuse what he did but it certainly shines a bit of a light on why he did what he did and since his release from prison he has been, by all accounts a stand up member of society.
    He found the Lord in prison.
    I thought the doc was good but flawed & biased. Another good skateboarding doc is Rising Son which I seen on Netflix last year, it's a pretty similar story.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Supermensch: The legend of Shep Gordon is a great heartwarming little documentary - watched it last night and would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

The Dark Valley is on the US site.

Best way I could describe it is a slow paced German western revenge thriller set in the Alpes. Oh and the lead role is English Actor Sam Riley & he's acting in German. :eek: Well worth a watch though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Off work due to back injury and physio has told me to lie on couch and watch Netflix, I kid you not :D

Watched Safety not Guaranteed on the Canadian site and I loved it. Quirky, character driven style movie. I should say the theme is Time Travel but don't expect sci-fi.

I shall be trawling the site and avoiding the mainstream routine hollywood type movies and posting up any I think are worth catching.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement