Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Separate threads for film & TV
    the us version of 'the returned' is now on irish netflix, anybody know whether its worth a watch, loved the original french version

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

peteeeed wrote: »
    the us version of 'the returned' is now on irish netflix, anybody know whether its worth a watch, loved the original french version

I watched it this morning and enjoyed it. I hadn't seen the original one. There is a strong 4400 vibe from it if you have seen that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

peteeeed wrote: »

I was wondering whether to watch that or not. It seems mainly to be the same characters so it's most likely a direct remake which makes me wonder what's the point in watching it?

The original French version is still on most Netflix regions so I'd be inclined to direct people at that one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Watched All This MAyhem thanks to this thread. I enjoyed it, very interesting story.

Then I got a bit of a skateboarding craving so I watched The Bones Brigade afterwards. Another documentary that looks at the rise of skateboarding in the 80s and one of the main teams at the time. Mainly wanted to watch it because it had Rodney Mullen but it was a stark contrast to All This Mayhem.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Watched David Bowie:Five Years on Netflix Argentina. A BBC documentary, the kind they are so good at making for BBC 4. Focusing on 5 years in Bowie's career: 1971-1972, 1974-1975, 1976-1977, 1979-1980 and 1982-1983. A wealth of rare and unseen footage makes this a treat for Bowie fans. Good contributions too from key players, and the music is, of course, fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Watched David Bowie:Five Years on Netflix Argentina. A BBC documentary, the kind they are so good at making for BBC 4. Focusing on 5 years in Bowie's career: 1971-1972, 1974-1975, 1976-1977, 1979-1980 and 1982-1983. A wealth of rare and unseen footage makes this a treat for Bowie fans. Good contributions too from key players, and the music is, of course, fantastic.

I think it did get an airing on BBC4...I've seen it anyway. The irony is Bowie claims not to recall most of those years (especially lets go to the heroin capital of Europe, Berlin) to straighten out:rolleyes:....ie. Low, Heroes, Lodger.
    Cue...Ashes to Ashes as the ultimate "I done some stuff last night that may not look good on the CV" album. Probably not...but he documented hell on ice.

In shorter words, I second this as a great doc to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭Corvo

NIGHTCRAWLER up on Brazilian Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Corvo wrote: »
    NIGHTCRAWLER up on Brazilian Netflix
    Brilliant film. One of my favourite films in recent years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Brilliant film. One of my favourite films in recent years.

Jake Gylenhall's best performance to date too, pretty sad that he didn't get a nod at the Oscars this year

Force Majeure is now on the US Netflix.

• Advertisement

Transformers: Age of Extinction added to Netflix Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

V good doc made by Joe (Bender) di maggio on us Netflix ATM called i know that voice about voice actors. Well worth a watch

Netflix Ireland is now showing new episodes of Once Upon A Time weekly every Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

nightcrawler was indeed a great movie IMO. go watch it!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'd been meaning to watch All This Mayhem for a while and after seeing all the talk on here I moved it to the top of my list. I was vaguely aware of the Pappas brothers but not their story. It's a pretty incredible tale. Tony Hawk does come across in a poor light but then again you could argue he was just someone who knew how to play the game. Whether or not you like the game is another question. As they say "Don't hate the player, hate the game."
    The brothers themselves don't come across great at times but what stood out to me was how many people,adults, were quite happy to make money off two kids who were fresh off the boat, so to speak, but didn't seem to give even a thought to their welfare. I know the scene at the time was all party, party, party but you've got to question all these sponsors and the likes making their living off the back of kids without taking any responsibility. Listening to the other people talk it's obvious they were all well aware of how deep into the drugs they both were but were happy for them to keep doing it when it meant Tas was throwing T-shirts into the crowd or getting the crowd to chant the company name mid competition. Nobody comes out of it looking particularly well, not the individuals, the skate companies, the TV Networks, the X-Games, nobody.

I haven't had time to look it up but I'm curious if there was any truth in
    the accusations that their Dad embezzled the money? Didn't seem likely plus that guy who used to be partners but seemed pretty angry at the whole situation implied the other guy pissed all the money away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Ok on my 'couch' to recovery over the last few days I've watched Only lovers left alive, really enjoyed it, another character rather than action film. Tilda Swinton, Tom Hiddleston and John Hurt star, most apt description Ive seen of it is; that it is Withnail and I(isk).

Watched a couple of series, into the second season of the Borgia which is a period political drama, again I enjoyed it.

Watched Brooklyn nine nine which is on RTE and C4 but I'd never caught it. Now this is genuinely funny and Andy Samberg is just one of an excellent cast.

Re watched a couple of things such as Moon and Mr Nobody as you always catch something else at a second viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Jack Reacher has been on Netflix for ages but I only just watched it last night. Fun film but Tom Cruise is very wooden in it

Jack Reacher has been on Netflix for ages but I only just watched it last night. Fun film but Tom Cruise is very wooden in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Ageyev wrote: »

Like the Lee Child series of books, the Jack Reacher character is pretty emotionless and cold so maybe Cruise was playing those traits. Will check it out but Cruise would not be the actor to play Reacher for me. Nothing against him, I actually think he is pretty good in a lot of his films, one of my favorite being Vanilla Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭rayself

The Insider sounds good cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭rayself

Is orange is the new black coming back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

rayself wrote:
    Is orange is the new black coming back

June I believe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Ageyev wrote: »

Good observation...that's how he's supposed to be

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Good observation...that's how he's supposed to be

True but I think most fans off the book would find Cruise' as a poor choice to play Reacher. Decent film all the same and id still recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Was Love/Hate ever on the Irish /UK netflix? It seems to be available on every other region in Europe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Was Love/Hate ever on the Irish /UK netflix? It seems to be available on every other region in Europe.

I assume this is deliberate so as not to impact dvd sales.

Los Angeles Plays Itself on USA Flix. It's a documentary about films set in or made in Los Angeles. At three hours it is a bit long but it's an interesting take on film making and Hollywood being somewhat critical. It's divided into different sections such as landmark architectural buildings. I've only watched the first hour thus far but it's quite good thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

Force Majeure is now on the US Netflix.

Watched this last night - Just didn't get the point !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Never on Netflix but it is on HuluPlus for American audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Never on Netflix but it is on HuluPlus for American audience.

It was definitely on either the Canadian or US version. Unsure now. Not much use to the OP though I'd say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement