Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,886 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Separate threads for film & TV
    Recommend giving Darknet a shot.... flew through all 6 all-too-brief episodes on Sunday night.

Canadian horror series with loosely connected stories around a underground website dealing with murder etc.

If I had to describe it, quite like a slightly less inventive mix of Black Mirror and the horror V/H/S.

Quite good though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Have also just finished binging on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and loved it. It helps that I've been in love with Ellie Kemper since she first joined The Office, but she definitely has the comedy chops to warrant her own starring role. All the supporting characters are great too, especially Lillian and Titus. Definitely has the same atmosphere as 30 Rock, although UKS is a bit dafter (not that that's a criticism from my point of view).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Is that worth watching?

I'm kinda between series at the moment, waiting for daredevil, and the final season of justified. I dont want to start better call saul until its all uploaded together.

It's like Home & Away with a bit of American Football thrown in, basically it's garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It's like Home & Away with a bit of American Football thrown in, basically it's garbage.

Jesus, thats not what I have read at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

noodler wrote: »
    Jesus, thats not what I have read at all!

I've actually heard that kind of comparison myself, but it was more along the lines of "dawsons creek meets football", thats why I'm reluctant to jump in as it seems to be generally well reviewed

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I watched season 1 a while back, it was entertaining enough but didn't grab me enough to keep at it. Dawson's Creek with American Football is a good description, though it's a good bit better by virtue of Kyle Chandler alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Has it got anything to do with the film? Film was decent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Is utopia season 2 coming to netflix does anyone know- loved season 1

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mousewar wrote: »
    Has it got anything to do with the film? Film was decent.

Yeah, Peter Berg directed that and he developed the show too. They're both based on the same book I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Shred

I've actually heard that kind of comparison myself, but it was more along the lines of "dawsons creek meets football", thats why I'm reluctant to jump in as it seems to be generally well reviewed

I'd have to agree based on having watched 10 or so episodes of it about 1.5 years ago. I had intended to go back to it as it gets a lot of good press but I just wasn't arsed.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

All 5 seasons of Friday Night Lights have been added to Netflix Ireland

Sweet! Started watching this before and it was hard to find the early episodes in decent quality with people seeding so ended up stopping watching it.

Not sure when I'll get around to watching it though because I'm all over the place with what I've to watch since shows are still airing weekly at the moment and I only watch TV shows when all episodes are available. Also been meaning to rewatch all The Wire which will take a while lol.

Basq wrote: »
    Recommend giving Darknet a shot.... flew through all 6 all-too-brief episodes on Sunday night.

Canadian horror series with loosely connected stories around a underground website dealing with murder etc.

If I had to describe it, quite like a slightly less inventive mix of Black Mirror and the horror V/H/S.

Quite good though!

Is it on Netflix Ireland?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Personally I think Friday Night Lights is one of the best shows that's ever been on.

There are teens in it, it's a high school football team, but it's not soapy and the drama is fairly realistic and not over the top teen drama.... ignoring that one blip where
    Landry and Tyra kill a guy and dump the body...
    Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton are amazing and the fact they barely got any awards love for their parts is ridiculous. A lot of the supporting cast of younger actors are great too. There's an episode in Season 4, The Son, which is one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen.

Just my opinion now but I thought I should offer a counter to the "Dawson's Creek with football" views. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,886 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is it on Netflix Ireland?
    It is indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Friday Night Lights is excellent. Very strong characters, great acting and very good storylines(for the most part).

Its ridiculous to compare it to Home And Away. Its one of the better shows out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Friday Night Lights is most certainly not a typical soap like Home & Away. At its worst it does tend toward teen drama, but at its best, it's a great look at how a family and a team cope with crippling expectations heaped upon them by a small, well-meaning town that take a high-school sport a little too serious (which from reading the book is quite accurate).

It's got great characters, that develop naturally over the seasons.
    It could have become stale nearing the 3rd season, but it threw the mightiest Hail Mary to set up season 4 & 5 ensuring the show went out with a triumphant bang instead of a whimper.

Caveat - Season 2 had some issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Finished the first season of The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt last night,

I am still working my way through it but it is quite good. They had me after they did the remix/autotune of the bystander who witnessed the mole women being freed.

I thought it was very clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

Very little new in New Zealand - did spot Seven Samurai and The Tunnel (UK / French remake of the Bridge) which I hadn't seen in any other region

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The Unusual Alpaca

Personally I think Friday Night Lights is one of the best shows that's ever been on.

This. A million times this! There's a great scope in character, range in story and distancing from the generic rootin' tootin' redneck, gun wielding "South" that makes it so brilliant. I've watched the entirety of it a couple of time and I've felt the full spectrum of emotions. I've cried a couple of times too and I'm man enough to admit it.

It has it's weak moments. I'm thinking about season two. The characters pull it through those and you're so well rewarded in my opinion.

I've always thought it would lend well to a remake, set in Ireland about the local GAA scene. It's quite similar in nature of how towns treat it all, especially post recession. Delighted to hear it's on it. I'll probably watch it later now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Another +1 to FNL, Coach Taylor and Tim Riggins, 2 of the biggest heroes to ever grace a TV screen.

Kyle Chandler is in Bloodline too which I'm liking so far, on episode 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Loved Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, hilarious and very clever. The prosecutors in
    The Reverend's trial
    were based on the prosecutors in the OJ Simpson case. How can you not love a show like that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet is on Irish Netflix, very enjoyable film. I have liked most of Jeunet's previous films too, so maybe I'm biased.

Would love it if Micmacs with English Subs appears on one of the regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Basq wrote: »

Quite good though!

Watching this now, very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Iron Man 3 added to Netflix Ireland.

Also added to Netflix Ireland for all you 80's kids American Ninja. :D

All this love for FNL might convince me to give Season 2 a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

At Close Range starring Christopher Walken and Sean Penn added today probably one of the most underrated movies of the 80s. Haven't seen it in a couple of years myself and oh yea loads of 80s action flicks Van Damme Steve Segale and the like lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Mickeroo wrote: »

Don't do it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

american ninja added to irish netflix......hold all calls

THIS IS NOT A DRILL

Mickeroo wrote: »

You should, but you should also be aware that S2 features a terrible terrible subplot involving 2 characters. You need to push trough (or skip over) those scenes. Only blip in an otherwise brilliant series.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

You should, but you should also be aware that S2 features a terrible terrible subplot involving 2 characters. You need to push trough (or skip over) those scenes. Only blip in an otherwise brilliant series.

Season 2 was during the writers strike and ends very abruptly, probably the worst overall of the 5 series, though I didn't really mind the plot you are going on about, I would love to see the never filmed episodes at the end of that season.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    Season 2 was during the writers strike and ends very abruptly, probably the worst overall of the 5 series, though I didn't really mind the plot you are going on about, I would love to see the never filmed episodes at the end of that season.

It wasn't that it was bad, as such, it just seemed very out of sync with the rest of the show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement