Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Like when they started here I'm guessing a lot of rights are already tied up with local tv stations.

What I'm looking forward to is when Netflix goes live in Japan later this year I think there could be some great Asian content then.

Oh tell me more, I have an eleven yr old who for some reason is obsessed with Japanese Anime - Naruto is one of them I think, will he be able to get access to this type of programme on netflix? We have US unblocker installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Separate threads for film & TV
    Oh tell me more, I have an eleven yr old who for some reason is obsessed with Japanese Anime - Naruto is one of them I think, will he be able to get access to this type of programme on netflix? We have US unblocker installed.

probably, but you most likely wont have english subtitles or dubbing available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It won't be till later this year. I am just guessing they will have homegrown Asian content and as it has been said it probably won't be dubbed or subtitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Anyone watched Bloodline yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Some people locked away in the Online TV forum have.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

no but will start soon. the general consensus is that it is pretty good. im just waiting for BCS to finish and then i will tear into it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched the first 2 episodes last Friday. Haven't got back to it since. That's down to having time though, not a reflection of the quality. First episode has a lot of set up going on so it's a bit slow, second episode was better, although it does feel very much like one of those slow burn shows. The good thing is you know what they're building to from early in the first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Yes on the last episode at the minute. Well worth the watch. Impressive show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

You should check out crunchyroll, it's basically Netflix for anime

While browsing Australian Netflix last night I started watching something called Upper Middle Bogan. It's about a rich middle class Doctor who suddenly finds out she was adopted and her biological family are bogans. If you're not familiar with the term bogan it's basically an Australian red neck. It's a comedy but not like a sitcom or slapstick or anything. I've watched 3 episodes and I love it. I can't really say what I'd compare it to but it's very Australian. It does feature some familiar faces, Patrick Brammall, who was in another great Aussie comedy The Moodys is in it and so is Glen Robbins better known as Kel from Kath & Kim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yes, there's an alright selection of anime on netflix, nothing compared to a dedicated anime site like Crunchyroll, but still plenty to keep your kid happy. If he likes Naruto, then something like Fullmetal Alchemist or Hunter X Hunter should fit the bill, they're more aimed at a teen audience.

I'd also mention that it might be worth monitoring what your kid watches, because there's an awful lot of anime that is absolutely not for children at all, and would be very unsuitable for an 11 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,886 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Watched 2 episodes of Southcliffe on US Netflix... a 4 part Channel 4 series from a year or two back about a man who goes on a shooting spree, and the chain of events (both directly and indirectly) that led up to it. Seems excellent so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Basq wrote: »
    Watched 2 episodes of Southcliffe on US Netflix... a 4 part Channel 4 series from a year or two back about a man who goes on a shooting spree, and the chain of events (both directly and indirectly) that led up to it. Seems excellent so far!

I like grim stuff but soutchliffe just didn't work for me

I didn't like Southcliffe either. One of those shows that tries to do a slow atmospheric burn but forgets to do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

probably, but you most likely wont have english subtitles or dubbing available to you.

narutoget.com would probably be for the best as it has all the episodes dubbed and subbed and the movies. I watched alot of anime I was probably to young for when I was younger (like elfen lied) I think they're even better now especially as I get alot of the adult humour but Fullmetal Alchemist on Netflix is brilliant and while a bit dark it doesn't dwell on it too much like some anime and doesn't have alot of explicit material so it would be great and my cousin loves it and it was something you could enjoy watching with them too. Crunchy roll is good and I used to use them alot before netflix and they have lots of other anime that isn't on Netflix yet (I swapped due to viruses I kept getting from it, it could be better now - havn't used it in years).

nicki11 wrote: »
    I watched alot of anime I was probably to young for when I was younger (like elfen lied)

:eek:

Elfen Lied is one that's too much for most adults, never mind kids!

Links234 wrote: »
    :eek:

Elfen Lied is one that's too much for most adults, never mind kids!

This post spiked my curiousity, looked at a few scenes on YouTube considered the worst from it...this post holds true. God damn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Is there anything on Australian Netflix standing out that isnt anywhere else?

This post spiked my curiousity, looked at a few scenes on YouTube considered the worst from it...this post holds true. God damn.

Oh yeah, like I've seen loads of Korean serial killer movies, or extreme French horror, and most of them don't even come close to how downright disturbing and upsetting Elfen Lied was. What vids did you see, the opening scene? Or did you see that scene?
    The one with the puppy?

The thing I always try and get across to people about anime is that unlike here where most animation is either aimed at children or if it's aimed at adults it falls strictly into the comedy genre, anime can be any genre. It can action, sci-fi, horror, fantasy, thriller, drama, sports and anything else under the sun, it's not limited to just children's movies and comedy. Anime can also be aimed at vastly different age groups, children, teens and adults.

That's not to say that everything aimed at adults would be violent and disturbing, but just to be aware that such content is out there. And quite honestly, there's anime that makes Game of Thrones look tame by comparison.

Links234 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, like I've seen loads of Korean serial killer movies, or extreme French horror, and most of them don't even come close to how downright disturbing and upsetting Elfen Lied was. What vids did you see, the opening scene? Or did you see that scene?
    The one with the puppy?

The thing I always try and get across to people about anime is that unlike here where most animation is either aimed at children or if it's aimed at adults it falls strictly into the comedy genre, anime can be any genre. It can action, sci-fi, horror, fantasy, thriller, drama, sports and anything else under the sun, it's not limited to just children's movies and comedy. Anime can also be aimed at vastly different age groups, children, teens and adults.

That's not to say that everything aimed at adults would be violent and disturbing, but just to be aware that such content is out there. And quite honestly, there's anime that makes Game of Thrones look tame by comparison.

Yeah. The first clip was the awful one with the puppy, actually skipped past it, then there were clips from some other ones about kids killing one another and sh!t. Pretty fuked up. What's crazy about that kind of stuff is it takes multiple people to actually make it so obviously at no point any of the creators stopped to question what they were making lol. If someone suggested storylines like that in a creative meeting here or in America they'd be considered psychopaths lol.

• Advertisement

IvaBigWun wrote: »

Not a film but I mentioned it a few pages back and I'm now into Series 2 of Upper Middle Bogan and it's hilarious. I saw a comment somewhere saying it's like a clever and funny version of Modern Family so if that floats your boat....

EDIT - Also, I've just spotted 4 seasons of Shameless (US version) is on Aus/NZ too. It's not on any of the other regions, I don't know if it ever has been? I watched the first couple of seasons of this on TV but it was moved around and shown at random times and I lost track of it a bit. Much much better than the UK version, in my opinion.

IvaBigWun wrote: »

Prisoners & Need for Speed are two I haven't seen anywhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

miracle mile is on Irish netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

The Man Who Would Be King (Sean Connery and Michael Caine) is now on Ireland / UK Netflix.

A wonderful tale of two adventures seeking their fortune in Afghanastan (based n the Novella by Kipling).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Atari: Game Over added to irish netflix, very enjoyable doc about the rise and fall of the video games company and the mythical search for buried games cartridges of ET in the desert

chef,begin again, the trip 2 seasons all added today also

^ I enjoyed Begin Again. I think it's better than Once, John Carney's first film, but has the same kind of charm and does a great job of telling a story through music without actually being a full blown musical.

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For added to Netflix Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For added to Netflix Canada.

And there it may stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

"atari: game over" on flix US.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

"atari: game over" on flix US.

It's on the Irish one as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement