Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

anyone watch peaky blinders, I think it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Separate threads for film & TV
    mrmorgan wrote: »
    anyone watch peaky blinders, I think it's great

Ya I've watched both seasons, its very good, I say there will be a third one, Cillian Murphy is brilliant in it.

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya I've watched both seasons, its very good, I say there will be a third one, Cillian Murphy is brilliant in it.

ya he really is and for some some reason his sister drives my hormones mad!!

ya he really is and for some some reason his sister drives my hormones mad!!

Is his sister the one that had a baby? Was she going out with someone called Freddie? havent seen it in a while

Is his sister the one that had a baby? Was she going out with someone called Freddie? havent seen it in a while

ya thats the one, she is marrried to tom hardy in real life

• Advertisement

ya thats the one, she is marrried to tom hardy in real life

Charlotte Riley is married to Tom Hardy, she had a fling with Cillian Murphys Character in the second series, the posh one with the horses, shes not his sister in it, I think the person that plays his sister was maybe in Downtown Abbey, she had shortish brown hair.

She's a very lucky woman to be married to Tom Hardy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh I just looked it up, his sister was Ada Shelby played by Sophie Rundle. She wasn't in downtown abbey.

Oh I just looked it up, his sister was Ada Shelby played by Sophie Rundle. She wasn't in downtown abbey.

and thanks for the spoiler :)

and thanks for the spoiler :)

What spoiler? When you mentioned Tom Hardy's wife, I assumed you had seen the second series since she is only in the second series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What spoiler? When you mentioned Tom Hardy's wife, I assumed you had seen the second series since she is only in the second series.

You realise this isn't a pm conversation between you and mmorgan right? He's not the only one reading your spoilers.

BlackFish, Documentary about Killer Whale's in captivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

fin12 wrote:
    BlackFish, Documentary about Killer Whale's in captivity.

Thought it was way too dragged out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

moleyv wrote: »
    Thought it was way too dragged out.

Too SeaWorld orientated for me. They're a horrible shower of ****es, no doubt, but they're not the only ones that do it.

I recently watched the Documentary Love me about Americans going to Ukraine to find a wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

Niska wrote: »
    In Order of Disappearance (2014) (On Irish / UK netflix).

It's a Norwegian gangster movie (and quite funny in places too), a seemingly random pick under 'You may also like'.

Stellan Skarsgård plays Nils, a snow plow operator,
    who seeks revenge after his son is killed by local gangsters, sparking a war between rival gangs.

Really enjoyed this movie. Strange in places and quite funny.

Norway looks fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I've watched two films on Netflix since getting it.

Locke - was great, I really enjoyed. I completely get why people wouldn't like but I thought Tom Hardy was brilliant (even if his Welsh accent did wander a bit).

Oblivion - I thought was a great concept if not executed as well as it could have been. A bit like WALL-E the first half is the best half. I think if they had found a way of doing it without
    the love story and the clones
    it would have been a lot better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Can confirm In order of disappearance is definitely worth a watch. It was a suggestion for me after I watched Headhunters, which is honestly a mandatory watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Seems like Scandinavian countries have been coming out with amazing movies and TV in the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I've watched two films on Netflix since getting it.

Locke - was great, I really enjoyed. I completely get why people wouldn't like but I thought Tom Hardy was brilliant (even if his Welsh accent did wander a bit).

Oblivion - I thought was a great concept if not executed as well as it could have been. A bit like WALL-E the first half is the best half. I think if they had found a way of doing it without
    the love story and the clones
    it would have been a lot better.

Really enjoyed both of those. Locke was simple and I thought extremely well done, I've always liked Hardy since first seeing him in The Take before I sought out his films such as Bronson.

Oblivion was a surprise to me, I thought it was unexpectedly great. I then watched Edge of Tomorrow the next day, going through a sci-fi binge at the moment.

It was mentioned before but Safety Not Guaranteed is a quirky little gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Was in the mood for some cheese on saturday night so I watched a random film called "the Baytown outlaws" - I enjoyed it, but you'd definitely want to be in the mood for it.

Its kind of like the boondock saints, mixed with smokin aces and is essentially a chase movie.

if you like the idea of redneck brothers being chased by various themed gangs - pirates, indians, hooker assassins, you'll enjoy this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I don't think I'll ever understand all the praise for Locke. It's well acted by Hardy but honestly, it's an hour and a half watching some guy do admin in his car. If I wanted to watch admin I'd just look up from my desk any day of the week.

Mousewar wrote: »
    I don't think I'll ever understand all the praise for Locke. It's well acted by Hardy but honestly, it's an hour and a half watching some guy do admin in his car. If I wanted to watch admin I'd just look up from my desk any day of the week.

Nah, I thought it was very good myself, fascinating to see a guys life essentially crumble around his ears, while he still tries to control the one aspect of his life that he has some power over.
    Also, the donal character on the end of the phone kind of has the reverse experience, where the crisis and his handling of it is probably the makings of him.

Mousewar wrote: »

Ya I think the same as you I watched it because of Tom Hardy but Its just a guy sitting in his car making a load of phone calls, I like when he's talking to the Irish guy on the phone. Its not something Id bother watching again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Mousewar wrote:

I think what I liked about it was that it was a genuine glimpse into someone's life and character which we rarely get in movies, I think it's a real achievement in writing. That said I completely get why people would find it boring or dull, I just disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

That was Andrew Scott/Moriarty playing Donal

• Registered Users Posts: 60,601 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Penny Dreadful season 2 to air weekly on Netflix Netherlands from tomorrow 7th of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I think what I liked about it was that it was a genuine glimpse into someone's life and character which we rarely get in movies, I think it's a real achievement in writing. That said I completely get why people would find it boring or dull, I just disagree.

Agreed :). I loved it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It's very much a one-man stageshow and thus all about the performance and what can be built up or evoked through dialogue; for those of us who enjoy this kind of thing it can be exceptionally rewarding - Locke was easily in my top 5 films of the year last year - whereas if you don't particularly like that sort of thing it was basically "A welshman with a cold talking on the phone for 90 minutes".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I really don't get the "sure you're just watching the guy on a phone" complaints for Locke as I really don't see how changing up the setting every few minutes would have improved it in any way. Idk it's a bit like watching 12 Angry Men and then going "boring, they never leave the jury room!". If anything it's that discipline and focus on the part of everyone involved that makes it so engaging and intriguing. Cutting to different rooms or showing him working at the beginning or
    enter the hospital at the end
    would have been such a copout to me. If anything more directors need to have the nerve to say "This is what the film is and we're sticking to it."

It's the stuff of great drama too, one man making a fatal decision and everything he has built crumbles around him. I've seen it 3 times so far, such an addictive movie.

• Advertisement

e_e wrote: »
    I really don't get the "sure you're just watching the guy on a phone" complaints for Locke as I really don't see how changing up the setting every few minutes would have improved it in any way. Idk it's a bit like watching 12 Angry Men and then going "boring, they never leave the jury room!". If anything it's that discipline and focus on the part of everyone involved that makes it so engaging and intriguing. Cutting to different rooms or showing him working at the beginning or
    enter the hospital at the end
    would have been such a copout to me. If anything more directors need to have the nerve to say "This is what the film is and we're sticking to it."

It's the stuff of great drama too, one man making a fatal decision and everything he has built crumbles around him. I've seen it 3 times so far, such an addictive movie.

For another great example of this type of Film, I can't recommend "Buried" highly enough. Ryan Reynolds completely nails it as a civilian contractor in Iraq / Afghanistan who wakes up to find he has been buried alive in a coffin for ransom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement