Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

Links234 wrote: »
    :eek:

Elfen Lied is one that's too much for most adults, never mind kids!
    Links234 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, like I've seen loads of Korean serial killer movies, or extreme French horror, and most of them don't even come close to how downright disturbing and upsetting Elfen Lied was. What vids did you see, the opening scene? Or did you see that scene?
    The one with the puppy?
    The thing I always try and get across to people about anime is that unlike here where most animation is either aimed at children or if it's aimed at adults it falls strictly into the comedy genre, anime can be any genre. It can action, sci-fi, horror, fantasy, thriller, drama, sports and anything else under the sun, it's not limited to just children's movies and comedy. Anime can also be aimed at vastly different age groups, children, teens and adults.

That's not to say that everything aimed at adults would be violent and disturbing, but just to be aware that such content is out there. And quite honestly, there's anime that makes Game of Thrones look tame by comparison.
    Yeah. The first clip was the awful one with the puppy, actually skipped past it, then there were clips from some other ones about kids killing one another and sh!t. Pretty fuked up. What's crazy about that kind of stuff is it takes multiple people to actually make it so obviously at no point any of the creators stopped to question what they were making lol. If someone suggested storylines like that in a creative meeting here or in America they'd be considered psychopaths lol.

Yeah I quickly realized that was to horrifed to stop the episode so ended up watching the whole first one, went back to it pretty interesting story, incredibly gory though. I like how diverse anime is Netflix has so many in multiple genres, I enjoy most of them and have found many I liked. Quorn High School was surprisingly good and many series were excellent dispite short series leading me to conclude that its a good thing because if you only have 13 episodes you don't waste much time and can make a great and conclusive story (Vampire Bund and Attack on Titan- Highly recommend by the way though not suitable for kids I just watched it recently and found it amazing).
    Oh tell me more, I have an eleven yr old who for some reason is obsessed with Japanese Anime - Naruto is one of them I think, will he be able to get access to this type of programme on netflix? We have US unblocker installed.

Hi they recently added Naruto to US netflix, if your still intersted, less gory then elfen lied by miles, really good (warning though lots of filler after a while) its what got me interested in anime and is no worse then Dragon Ball or anything. I'm currently rewatching it for nostalgia and it still holds up pretty well (unlike Yugioh).

• Registered Users Posts: 60,606 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    Coming to Netflix this Christmas.
    A Very Murray Christmas reunites Murray with Sofia Coppola, who directed the actor in Lost in Translation. Coppola will handle the directing duties for the Christmas special, which was written by Coppola, Murray, and Mitch Glazer.

The classic variety show throwback stars Bill Murray as himself, fretting over whether anyone will show up for his TV extravaganza, thanks to the snow storm gripping New York City. "Through luck and perseverance, guests arrive at the Carlyle hotel to help him; dancing and singing in holiday spirit,

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/05/22/netflix-is-having-a-very-murray-christmas

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Afflicted - A found-footage horror film that actually works. The setup is that two American lads are gearing up to head off for a year's worth of travelling the world and one of them is a keen amateur filmmaker who plans to document the whole trip and publish video excerpts to a blog. Not very long into the trip, one of them has an odd encounter with a young woman and the trip starts to go awry from there.

I was quite impressed by this - I threw it on expecting brainless fare but was quite surprised at how well the whole thing is put together - it never dwells too long on any one notion and develops in a sequence of events that all fit together in a logical and coherent fashion. In terms of production and how it uses the "found footage" idea it reminds me most of Chronicle; if you enjoyed that you'll likely find a lot to enjoy here. Conversely if Chronicle annoyed you this will probably do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,606 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) added to Netflix Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Just watched Blood Ties on Netflix, very good film, well worth watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

New releases for June looks pretty good in America, Nightcrawler, the Butler and Philip Seymour Hoffman's last movie A most wanted Man. Plus Sense 8 and Orange is the new black.

I've been meaning to watch Girlhood but haven't gotten around to it yet , heard good things about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Sense 8 is internationally releasing isn't it? June's a pretty strong month for netflixs originals it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Just watched Honor Diaries which explores the lives of nine inspiring women's rights advocates in Muslim majority societies fighting against oppression, forced marriage and more.

Very interesting and insightful. I am so lucky as a woman to be born in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Watched Residue the other day. 3 episodes long, and 50 minutes each.

I found it to really good! Sci-fi/horror/conspiracy theory stuff, set in an unnamed English city, in the future. It's like something I read somewhere, but I can't think of what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Girlhood is on American Netflix.

95% on rotten tomatoes and understandably so, one of the best coming of age films I seen in years.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/girlhood_2015/
    Good movie alright. Baffled by it only sitting at a 6.7 on IMDB but what the hell do they know anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

e_e wrote: »
    Good movie alright. Baffled by it only sitting at a 6.7 on IMDB but what the hell do they know anyway?

That trailer looks great must have a butchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

I found it to really good! Sci-fi/horror/conspiracy theory stuff, set in an unnamed English city, in the future. It's like something I read somewhere, but I can't think of what.

Watched Residue the other day. 3 episodes long, and 50 minutes each.

2 episodes in finding it extremely slow, overly atmospheric, the 2 game of thrones cast members in the leads distracting and poor actors/acting overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

2 episodes in finding it extremely slow, overly atmospheric, the 2 game of thrones cast members in the leads distracting and poor actors/acting overall.

This. I'm two eps. in. It's hyper slow burning which makes it really hard to stay focused. I think it has potential but I'm not going to wait for it to finalize.

Started watching once upon a time with herself. It's nice and light, if not the greatest show. Something I can browse the net with and still ease in and out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Watched the first episode of sons of anarchy last night. Seem alright. Is it worth continueing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Watched the first episode of sons of anarchy last night. Seem alright. Is it worth continueing

I've seen it all, its good, but if you're only an episode in, I'd recommend you check out "the shield" instead. Its far superior.

Sons Of Anarchy is grand but the quality goes up and down, one season has a trip to belfast and its terrible as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I've seen it all, its good, but if you're only an episode in, I'd recommend you check out "the shield" instead. Its far superior.

Sons Of Anarchy is grand but the quality goes up and down, one season has a trip to belfast and its terrible as a whole.

Plus 1.

Its definitely entertaining now - it will generally hold its attention but it might have went on a little too long.

Lots of violence, sex, gang warefare etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

As said above, I found it enjoyable but the Oirish season is the low point.

I was in the midst of it before the Shield appeared on Netflix and I've been binging on The Shield ever since, to the detriment of Sons of Anarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Agreed, Sons of Anarchy, season 1 and 2 are great but that Oirish season is shocking, i heard it got better in season 4 again but how could you go back after that clusterbomb of a season.

I'm after finishing season 1 of Peaky Blinders and there is only 2 seasons so far and its certainly binge tv. Will Netflix Ireland have season 2 anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I started watching of Sons of Anarchy at Christmas and just last week finished the last episode and loved it. Absolutely loved the show, as did my girlfriend. Like others have said, the Oirish season drags on a fair bit and the Irish accents are shockingly bad, but in general among the main cast the acting is superb and the writing is great, I'd highly recommend it. It's one of the first shows I've watched where I didn't read any online stuff or any behind-the-scenes articles for fear of spoilers until I had watched every episode and I enjoyed it all the better for it.

Sons of anarchy is sh!t. A bike gang that doesn't use the words "f*ck" or "c*nt" or show tits lol. These are only small things of course but still what makes shows like sopranos and GoT so good. After season 5 there is SO much filler because the network wanted to stretch it out as much as possible. This show's a perfect example of how a network can really make or break a show with great potential. If HBO or Showtime had done it it would've been much better and lived up to the potential the story had.

• Advertisement

show tits lol.

You seem to have managed to watch the few minutes in which there's no boobs.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You seem to have managed to watch the few minutes in which there's no boobs.

You're obviously unaware on FX's rules on nudity. There are no bare tits in the entire show, they're always wearing bras, bikinis or even these things:

Nipple-Covers.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Did you watch them all while hating it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

There are no bear tits in the entire show, they're always wearing bras, bikinis or even these things:

Nipple-Covers.jpg

What? Bear's in bikinis!!!
    I gotta see this :-)

You're obviously unaware on FX's rules on nudity. There are no bear tits in the entire show, they're always wearing bras, bikinis or even these things:
    ]

So you mean nipples, and not boobs. Biology is the only loser here.

Synode wrote: »
    Did you watch them all while hating it?

No, the first couple of seasons I enjoyed and I never quit watching a show I've gotten into but over time this one became more of a task to finish than an enjoyable show to watch. It's literally all FX's fault that the show went the way it did, the writer's openly talked about how they really limited a lot of what he wanted to do and they forced the final season into two (6 & 7) so he had to come up with all the filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I am 100% positive that there is full nudity in SOA, definitley in the last season.

I just did a quick reddit search, and one of the posters complained that he'd seen Jax tellers arse more often than he'd seen his own. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I am 100% positive that there is full nudity in SOA, definitley in the last season.

I just did a quick reddit search, and one of the posters complained that he'd seen Jax tellers arse more often than he'd seen his own. :)

I've seen my own arse maybe five times in my life and that might be high.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭basillarkin

SOA is average IMO stayed with it till the irish trip but gave up shortly after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

You're obviously unaware on FX's rules on nudity. There are no bare tits in the entire show, they're always wearing bras, bikinis or even these things:

If you're watching it on Netflix, you do know a short distance away there is any amount of nipples.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement