Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

trashcan wrote: »
    I love love love the Wire. Can't understand how some people don't get it. I really don't expect to see a better TV series, ever. Epic stuff.

On an unrelated note, am enjoying Better Call Saul. Four episodes in. Was afraid it'd be a let down after BB, it's more low key than that, but still, a good watch so far.

I thought the same because the detail they went into on each character meant that almost every single character's scenes could easily be extracted and made into a solid individual show but Game of Thrones now is similarly as detailed and good at keeping multiple stories running parallel. I think it's too difficult to choose a #1 favourite between The Wire, GoT and BB, the three of them are just the epitome of perfect television and have influenced how good TVbhas become. They're the reason I prefer TV to movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,311 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

trashcan wrote: »
    I love love love the Wire. Can't understand how some people don't get it. I really don't expect to see a better TV series, ever. Epic stuff.

On an unrelated note, am enjoying Better Call Saul. Four episodes in. Was afraid it'd be a let down after BB, it's more low key than that, but still, a good watch so far.

The eternal problem with 'The Wire' evangelists.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Separate threads for film & TV
    I thought the same because the detail they went into on each character meant that almost every single character's scenes could easily be extracted and made into a solid individual show but Game of Thrones now is similarly as detailed and good at keeping multiple stories running parallel. I think it's too difficult to choose a #1 favourite between The Wire, GoT and BB, the three of them are just the epitome of perfect television and have influenced how good TVbhas become. They're the reason I prefer TV to movies.

Probably for another thread but I'd rate The Wire and BB as better suited for TV than GoT which really loses a lot from the medium whereas it helps the other two. GoT is limited by the scale of TV and is told in a far better way elsewhere. The other 2 are perfectly optimised for TV and are 2 very different but great examples of the top rung of TV. I presume the Sopranos is also up there but only seen that in patches and actually watched most of the last season so have trouble going back.

The best TV to be found on Netflix (US) at the moment to get back on track would be Mad Men, Peaky Blinders, Parks and Rec, Always Sunny, Blacklist and for some enjoyable fluff Once Upon a Time.

On the Netflix originals I like House of Cards but find it a bit overrated, Orange is the New Black really grew on me in season 2, Bloodline very good, Kimmy Schmidt is also good.

There's plenty there for anyone and loads I've forgotten.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Liam O wrote: »

The best TV to be found on Netflix (US) at the moment to get back on track would be Mad Men, Peaky Blinders, Parks and Rec, Always Sunny, Blacklist and for some enjoyable fluff Once Upon a Time.

No. No. No...... nope. You've just ruined your entire post with that. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

No. No. No...... nope. You've just ruined your entire post with that. No.

Ah it's good fun :p I did call it fluff.

Robert Carlyle is brilliant in it. Nothing like some good melodrama involving fairytale characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The Wire is fricking Awesome. I only finished it there probably last month and it really is just brilliant. I actually thought the change from season 1 to 2 was great, it sent the show in a whole new direction but at the same time kept the original storyline intact.

The writers built up some really nasty criminals to be very likable characters.

After watching Breaking Bad, I thought it be very hard for a tv show to come close but The Wire is definitely up there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

I've 3 episodes left to watch in Sense8, pacing myself until Orange Is The New Black is here but wow, what a great programme!

So well put together, the effects are great and it looks stunning.

One thing I will say in case it'd bother anyone is that there are a lot of sex scenes in it (
    gay, lesbian straight and even an orgy an one stage!
    So if that would bother someone then I'd advise to look elsewhere but other than that highly highly recommended.

It's Originals like that that make the €7 a month so well spent!

Charlie19 wrote: »
    The Wire is fricking Awesome. I only finished it there probably last month and it really is just brilliant. I actually thought the change from season 1 to 2 was great, it sent the show in a whole new direction but at the same time kept the original storyline intact.

The writers built up some really nasty criminals to be very likable characters.

After watching Breaking Bad, I thought it be very hard for a tv show to come close but The Wire is definitely up there.

And the Sopranos is one level up from those two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Nope, Sopranos' big problem imo was sticking with an almost totally immovable character for 6 seasons so it risked becoming redundant at times. You could remove whole chunks of it to me and not be any worse off. Great show of course but it just doesn't have The Wire's scope and character/world building.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

BB is great but not even close to as good as The Wire imo, GoT is a few levels below BB too. I don't think I'll ever see another show come close to the Wire, though I thought Treme had the potential from the first two seasons but it fairly fizzled out after that.

• Advertisement

I watched about three seasons of the Wire, got bored and never went back. Can't see myself having any interest in finishing it -shrugs-. And it's not a case of not getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I watched about three seasons of the Wire, got bored and never went back. Can't see myself having any interest in finishing it -shrugs-. And it's not a case of not getting it.

If you didn't like season 3 then you were right to stop.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

noodler wrote: »
    If you didn't like season 3 then you were right to stop.

Absolutely, if you're not hooked by the end of season one it's probably not for you. Took me a good 6 or 7 episodes of the first season for me before the addiction took hold.

e_e wrote: »
    Nope, Sopranos' big problem imo was sticking with an almost totally immovable character for 6 seasons so it risked becoming redundant at times. You could remove whole chunks of it to me and not be any worse off. Great show of course but it just doesn't have The Wire's scope and character/world building.

I will consider letting this post go, but I'll require 10 hail Mary's and one act of contrition! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Robert Carlyle is brilliant in it. Nothing like some good melodrama involving fairytale characters.

I wouldn't even call it fluff, it's that bad. S1 was okay, would pass as fluff. It was vaguely interesting to see a few twists on the traditional fairy tales but since then it's just been a really long, really terrible Disney infomercial. The fact that someone like Robert Carlyle is still on board baffles me. He must owe a lot of money or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I will consider letting this post go, but I'll require 10 hail Mary's and one act of contrition! :D

I think the reason the sopranos gets a pass from a lot of people is because they watched it on a week to week basis. I find that binge watching 3 or 4 episodes at a time highlights how little actually happens.

I wouldn't even call it fluff, it's that bad. S1 was okay, would pass as fluff. It was vaguely interesting to see a few twists on the traditional fairy tales but since then it's just been a really long, really terrible Disney infomercial. The fact that someone like Robert Carlyle is still on board baffles me. He must owe a lot of money or something :D

Read the comic series Fables where they stole their ideas from, it's genuinely brilliant and isn't remotely fluffy.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Read the comic series Fables where they stole their ideas from, it's genuinely brilliant and isn't remotely fluffy.

or play the video game "the Wolf among us"

• Registered Users Posts: 60,607 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 2 added to Netflix USA.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 2 added to Netflix USA.

Nice, does it maintain the quality of the latter half of season one?

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Nice, does it maintain the quality of the latter half of season one?

I felt it did and got stronger and opened up the MCU even more.

I felt it did and got stronger and opened up the MCU even more.

you'd be biased tho surely? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm in agreement with him. I thought it was good, but not brilliant. Only reason I watched it to the end was that I was off work for a month with an injury so got the boxset off Amazon. There just seemed to be a lot of filler and fluff in places.

edit: I read the following post after I posted mine which ties in with what I said.
    I think the reason the sopranos gets a pass from a lot of people is because they watched it on a week to week basis. I find that binge watching 3 or 4 episodes at a time highlights how little actually happens.

you'd be biased tho surely? :P

191gk7w7klc0sjpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Whiplash or Nina Turtles decisions decisions. By the way still haven't gotten around to watching The Babadook yet any good? Also have to catch up on Mad Men as well................... see what all the hypes about.

Whiplash or Nina Turtles decisions decisions. By the way still haven't gotten around to watching The Babadook yet any good? Also nice to catch up on Mad Men as well................... see what all the hypes about.

whiplash and turtles? they're the exact opposite of each other. whiplash intense and excellent. the turtles? not so much.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Whiplash or Nina Turtles decisions decisions. By the way still haven't gotten around to watching The Babadook yet any good? Also have to catch up on Mad Men as well................... see what all the hypes about.

The Babadook is good if you don't watch many horror films. If you're familiar with the genre then there's nothing new there.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

whiplash and turtles? they're the exact opposite of each other. whiplash intense and excellent. the turtles? not so much.

Yea I know turtles looks pretty turgid but I have this morbid interest just to see how bad they messed it up compared to the original which was a childhood fav of mine :D .

Still if I look at it as just an action flick without thinking of it as ****ing on movie I really liked when I was younger I might enjoy it. Thats what I tried doing with the Nightmare remake anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I just finished season 2 last night:)

It was a bit of odd season finale with Tony after getting a dose of food poisoning and he kept having crazy dreams, I didn't know what was happening.

But yeah as a whole its living up to its reputation as being a quality series. Oh and Pauly is a brilliant character, he so funny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Whiplash: Great movie
    Turtles: Turn off your brain and grab some popcorn.
    Babadook: M'eh, worth a watch but don't expect to be scared unless you're hyper sensitive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement