Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Watching ep1 of sense8. Trailer seems good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

MarkY91 wrote: »

it gets better

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Separate threads for film & TV

Consider the rest of your weekend taken over with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Consider the rest of your weekend taken over with this.

I hope so :D

I still got oorpan black to finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I hope so :D

I still got oorpan black to finish!

I binged on it last weekend. Well worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I watched Wet Hot American Summer the other night with very little expectations and not even knowing what to expect. Absolutely loved it, know I'm late to the supposed cult following but it was so absurd. I knew they were doing a prequel series before seeing it and having now seen it I'm slightly apprehensive, it worked over 90 minutes but 8 presumably half hour episodes seems a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Wow, that is a lot of titles being deleted!

I never there were so many pre-70s films on Netflix as the only titles I've comes across are either a few I would have searched for or maybe the odd one that slips into my recommendations feed. If I'd know there were more I would have watched more of them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just spotted Casting By has been added to Canada. Not sure if it's on anywhere else.

I saw it a while ago on BBC, really interesting documentary about the role of the casting director in film. It features interviews with casting directors, directors and actors talking about some pretty iconic parts in films and how the casting came about and who was nearly cast in some of them. I think the overarching question they're asking is whether or not casting directors should get their own category at the Oscars. I remember finding it interesting that most of the people who said no were of a very specific group.

Anyway, it's worth watching if you're interested in all that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Just spotted Casting By has been added to Canada. Not sure if it's on anywhere else.

I saw it a while ago on BBC, really interesting documentary about the role of the casting director in film. It features interviews with casting directors, directors and actors talking about some pretty iconic parts in films and how the casting came about and who was nearly cast in some of them. I think the overarching question they're asking is whether or not casting directors should get their own category at the Oscars. I remember finding it interesting that most of the people who said no were of a very specific group.

Anyway, it's worth watching if you're interested in all that kind of thing.

Speaking of which, are there any other good ‘film making’ docs on Netflix?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A Disgrace wrote: »

Lost In La Mancha is a good one, on the US netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

At Close Range. 1986

Two brothers (Sean & Chris Penn) join their estranged Father (Christopher Walken) in a life of organized crime that is heavily involved in theft, money laundering and murder.

I'd highly recommend this, its based on a true story and it actually reminded me of the gang culture here in Ireland.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    At Close Range. 1986

Two brothers (Sean & Chris Penn) join their estranged Father (Christopher Walken) in a life of organized crime that is heavily involved in theft, money laundering and murder.

I'd highly recommend this, its based on a true story and it actually reminded me of the gang culture here in Ireland.

being meaning to see that

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

At Close Range. 1986

Saw it years ago, but I remember really enjoying it. +1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Roquentin wrote: »
    being meaning to see that
    Drumpot wrote: »
    Saw it years ago, but I remember really enjoying it. +1

The Penn brothers were brilliant and Walken, well he's generally very good in anything I've watched him in.

The Penn brothers were brilliant and Walken, well he's generally very good in anything I've watched him in.

ah yea, walken always steals teh show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Future Primitive

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but for the kid in you, Are You Afraid Of The Dark (Season 1) is on Canadian Netflix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Fult Tilt Boogie, the making of From Dusk till Dawn is on there somewhere.

There's a decent documentary on digital film makin called Side By Side.

Quality docs that we used to find on DVDs have been an unfortunate causality of streaming online services.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Ageyev wrote: »
    Fult Tilt Boogie, the making of From Dusk till Dawn is on there somewhere.

There's a decent documentary on digital film makin called Side By Side.

Quality docs that we used to find on DVDs have been an unfortunate causality of streaming online services.

Would be great if they had an extras section for films they carry, in a sub-menu or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Would be great if they had an extras section for films they carry, in a sub-menu or whatever

some of their original programmes have extras, right at the end of the list you can see the trailers etc. I've not seen any "making of" features though.

maybe the studios are leveraging that stuff hard for the dvd/bluray market.

I know that personally I haven't bought a dvd in ages since the streaming services have improved so much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Yes Orange is the New Black has loads of extras at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 60,611 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The DUFF added to Netflix France.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The DUFF added to Netflix France.

Excellent. Missed this in the cinema, have heard it's quite good.

Netflix Announces Release Dates for Idris Elba’s ‘Beasts of No Nation,’ Adam Sandler Comedy
    Netflix will roll out a batch of new movies this year, including Cary Fukunaga’s “Beasts of No Nation” and “The Ridiculous Six” with Adam Sandler, as it tries to establish itself as a force in the feature film business.

With a ripped-from-the-headlines plot about child soldiers, “Beasts of No Nation” is looking to generate awards heat, scoring a key Oscar contender berth on October 16, 2015. It will go head to head with other awards hopeful “Bridge of Spies,” a Cold War thriller from Steven Spielberg, the horror film “Crimson Peak” and the family film “Goosebumps.” Idris Elba stars in the film, which Fukunaga, hot off “True Detective,” directs. It set off a bidding war that saw Netflix shell out $12 million for the rights.

The film debuts worldwide on Netflix, in all territories where the internet platform is available, and on the same day in whichever U.S. theaters will play it. U.S. film distribution company Bleecker Street will partner with Netflix to distribute the film to theaters, but most major exhibitors will not play the film because it is being released simultaneously on the streaming service.

“The Ridiculous Six,” which kicks off a four-film deal Sandler made with Netflix, will premiere solely on Netflix on December 11, 2015. The film’s cast includes Terry Crews, Taylor Lautner, Rob Schneider, Luke Wilson and Nick Nolte (“Parker,” “Warrior,” “Tropic Thunder”).

“Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: The Green Legend” will be released theatrically in China, on select Imax screens, and on Netflix in the first quarter of 2016. The film was originally slated to debut on August 28, 2015. Major exhibitors were irate when news leaked that Imax had partnered on a project, with a spokesperson for Regal dismissing the film as a “homevideo release.”

“Pee-wee’s Big Holiday,” which marks the return of Pee-wee Herman, will premiere on Netflix in March 2016.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/netflix-release-dates-beasts-of-no-nation-adam-sandler-comedy-1201535228/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

One of my favourite films Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid added to irish Netflix

Hjørdis was added to most Netflix regions.

Hjørdis is a spinoff of Rita for those who are watching that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Hjørdis was added to most Netflix regions.

Hjørdis is a spinoff of Rita for those who are watching that show.

Saw that. Why????? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Decuc500

So Beasts of No Nation probably won't be released in cinemas here. Thanks Netflix.

Just saw The Guest has been added to Irish Netflix. Fantastic movie, well worth the watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Man Up with Simon Pegg and Lake Bell on Netflix IE already? Got good reviews and was only released mid-April in cinemas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement