Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Separate threads for film & TV
    You only pay for one account if you visit any country that Netflix is available in that account will work there with that countries Netflix Library.

I dont think that works because when I was in England I couldn't use netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 60,611 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

fin12 wrote: »
    I dont think that works because when I was in England I couldn't use netflix

It does for me anyway my account is American from when I lived over there and I have used my account in England, France and Belgium over the last few months as well as here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Two decent enough movies on the US library.

Jennifer 8. 1992

Murder mystery about a body found in rubbish dump and the key witness is a blind woman. Starring Andy Garcia and Uma Thurman.

Supremacy. 2014

Neo-Natzi just released from prison finds himself and his ruthless girlfriend involved in a hostage situation. After shooting dead a black cop and flee the area, they then hold a black family in their home against their will. Stars Danny Glover

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Saw breaking bad for the first time tonight the first 2 episodes, great stuff altogether:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Saw breaking bad for the first time tonight the first 2 episodes, great stuff altogether:D

Say goodbye to the next month or so, the greatest series ever....... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I stopped watching when the Polar bear showed up.

Say goodbye to the next month or so, the greatest series ever....... :)

Ha ha i think you could be right, i cant believe its taken me this long to watch it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Colombian remake of Breaking Bad 'Metástasis' is on USA Netflix with English subtitles. It is almost a shot for shot remake with a few minor substitutions.

It's not particularly good but is an interesting curio if you're a big BB fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Best tv series I've ever seen. The Wire runs it close, took me a few episodes to get my head around the accents in that. But was instantly hooked on BB from the opening scene in episode 1. You've got one hell of a ride to watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Ha ha i think you could be right, i cant believe its taken me this long to watch it

There are some slow burning parts in a couple of the seasons, mostly the earlier seasons, but pay attention throughout and make sure to finish it all, it really is one of the top 3 best shows of all time!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ageyev wrote: »
    Colombian remake of Breaking Bad 'Metástasis' is on USA Netflix with English subtitles. It is almost a shot for shot remake with a few minor substitutions.

It's not particularly good but is an interesting curio if you're a big BB fan.

Is it not the other way around. BB is a remake of the Colombian one?

Nope, Metástasis came after Breaking Bad. The title credits Vince Gilligan with creating it. It was shot in a short period of time and I think aired over a period of a few months. 5series condensed down

Nope, Metástasis came after Breaking Bad. The title credits Vince Gilligan with creating it. It was shot in a short period of time and I think aired over a period of a few months. 5series condensed down

Oh really? I thought I had read BB was a remake, bad info, I guess. So used to it being the other way around these days I just believed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Just watched the film Dutch on Netflix, really nice film and funny. Ed O Neill is in it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

fin12 wrote: »
    Just watched the film Dutch on Netflix, really nice film and funny. Ed O Neill is in it.

I saw that as a kid and I'm convinced it used to be called Drive Me Crazy, recognised the cover art on Netflix the last day. Might give it a look for nostalgia's sake one of the nights.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I saw that as a kid and I'm convinced it used to be called Drive Me Crazy, recognised the cover art on Netflix the last day. Might give it a look for nostalgia's sake one of the nights.

Same, I remember seeing it as a kid and it was called Driving Me Crazy.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Same, I remember seeing it as a kid and it was called Driving Me Crazy.

It was called Driving Me Crazy over here and Dutch in the rest of the world.

I watched a couple of luis thereux last night, the nazi one is just nuts,when he was at their house and they asked luis if he was a jew that was pretty uncomfortable,crazy people on this little planet of ours

Louis is awesome.

Can't wait to see his new doc on Scientology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Watched a few episodes of The Trip last night with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. Very enjoyable so far.
    Completely missed this on terrestial TV, is the Italian second series any good?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Watched a few episodes of The Trip last night with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. Very enjoyable so far.

I've only seen the theatrical versions of both, but enjoyed them both a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Yeah I enjoyed the 2nd series, and it just makes you want to take a big road trip to Italy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Happyman42 wrote:
    Watched a few episodes of The Trip last night with Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. Very enjoyable so far. Completely missed this on terrestial TV, is the Italian second series any good?

I missed a couple of years episodes of the second series but what I did see I enjoyed. I'd also highly recommend A Cock And Bull story, starring Coogan and Brydon (as well as a **** load of other great names) as themselves again, this time making a movie. One of my favourite films, not sure if it's available on Netflix but worth a look.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I missed a couple of years episodes of the second series but what I did see I enjoyed. I'd also highly recommend A Cock And Bull story, starring Coogan and Brydon (as well as a **** load of other great names) as themselves again, this time making a movie. One of my favourite films, not sure if it's available on Netflix but worth a look.

Yeah that was the same director who did The Trip too, Michael Winterbottom. 24 Hour Party People is another good film he did with Coogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

I think Nightcrawler and Whiplash are the most recent films on Netflix. Sometimes other Netflix regions will have a film that's only just been released in the cinema here eg. A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night was on the USA Netflix region before it was out in the cinema here. Guardians of the Galaxy is available in Netherlands and Belgium NETFLIX , I guess that would be the most well known recent blockbuster on there.

I watched Foxcather the other night. Pretty recent don't think its on sky movies yet and Ninja Turtles is there as well. Canada, Brazil and maybe Sweden are the best for the new release but we did get The Raid 2 soon after it left the cinemas.

Netherlands is good for recent releases too for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"Hinterland" (2013) S4C crime mini-series set in west Wales.

p01pmmsx.jpg

Offered this when I went on Netflix last night and wasn't sure what to expect but jumped in.

The 1st episode was set in two places that I know quite well from my days as a railway enthusiast - Aberystwyth and Devil's Bridge - but I had never seen either in the sinister light that they appeared in the show. Very dark, but well worth watching if you like realistic police drama. 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

A New Leaf – 1971 – Dir. Elaine May

An odd, black comedy about a playboy called Henry Graham (Walter Matthau) who burns his way through his trust fund and finds himself on the brink of losing everything he cares about (namely his Ferrari, collection of first editions and butler) – With echoes of Jeeves and Wooster, his loyal man servant plants the seeds of a seemingly fool-proof plan to marry him off to the first rich woman he can find. With the aid of a short-term, high risk loan from his seedy Uncle, Henry embarks on an attempt not only to woo and wed a wealthy spinster, but also to get his hands on all of her money, by any means.

What plays out is a darkly funny comedy that occasionally slips into surreal territory, with some great performances (particularly from Elaine May, as the bumbling botany teacher/potential murder victim)

Apparently it was cut from 3 hours by the studio (much to May’s anger) to 102 minutes and this may explain the first ten minutes, which is a little all over the place and seems rushed.

After that though, you have a brilliant blend of old-fashioned American farce, dark comedy and genuine warmth – a rare thing indeed.

8.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

A Disgrace wrote: »
    A New Leaf – 1971 – Dir. Elaine May

An odd, black comedy about a playboy called Henry Graham (Walter Matthau) who burns his way through his trust fund and finds himself on the brink of losing everything he cares about (namely his Ferrari, collection of first editions and butler) – With echoes of Jeeves and Wooster, his loyal man servant plants the seeds of a seemingly fool-proof plan to marry him off to the first rich woman he can find. With the aid of a short-term, high risk loan from his seedy Uncle, Henry embarks on an attempt not only to woo and wed a wealthy spinster, but also to get his hands on all of her money, by any means.

What plays out is a darkly funny comedy that occasionally slips into surreal territory, with some great performances (particularly from Elaine May, as the bumbling botany teacher/potential murder victim)

Apparently it was cut from 3 hours by the studio (much to May’s anger) to 102 minutes and this may explain the first ten minutes, which is a little all over the place and seems rushed.

After that though, you have a brilliant blend of old-fashioned American farce, dark comedy and genuine warmth – a rare thing indeed.

8.5/10

If you were a fan of A New Leaf Id recommend mikey and nicky from the same director. The tone is much darker but there are some funny moments here and there, deals with friendship addiction and betrayal in a way you can believe like a lot of 70s cinema. Also try the Heartbreak Kid (not the remake the Farley brothers mucked up) from May. Supposedly the character of Father Ted was heavily influenced by Charles Gordin in that movie. Both Graham Linehan and Arthur Mathews are big fans of that movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I'm sure it's been mentioned here before but I'm going to give it a bump anyway. The Bridge is a superb Danish/Swedish crime drama series that will blow you away with how warped the criminal mind can be.

Not to be confused with the American remake, the original stars Sofia Helin who is nothing short of brilliant!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement