Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,611 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    Serena - (Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper) was added to Netflix US.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

If you were a fan of A New Leaf Id recommend mikey and nicky from the same director. The tone is much darker but there are some funny moments here and there, deals with friendship addiction and betrayal in a way you can believe like a lot of 70s cinema. Also try the Heartbreak Kid (not the remake the Farley brothers mucked up) from May. Supposedly the character of Father Ted was heavily influenced by Charles Gordin in that movie. Both Graham Linehan and Arthur Mathews are big fans of that movie.

Have them on the list now, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Rectify season 3 will be showing on netflix canada a day after it airs on Sundance. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Coherence is on Irish Netflix. One of those small budget sci-fi films set in a fixed location. A group of friends meet for a dinner party on a night when a comet passes earth and unusual things happen.

Does anyone know when/if Predestination might make an appearance on Netflix? It was premiered in Australia last year so kinda surprised it hasn't shown up yet. Great film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Ageyev wrote: »
    Coherence is on Irish Netflix. One of those small budget sci-fi films set in a fixed location. A group of friends meet for a dinner party on a night when a comet passes earth and unusual things happen.
    I really enjoyed this. If you liked Primer you'll like this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Louis is awesome.

Can't wait to see his new doc on Scientology.

I thought Scientology were making a documentary about him?

Theirs is in response to his and needs to be called Theroux the Looking Glass

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

I recently watched The Lone Ranger on Irish Netflix. A really fun movie to kick back and enjoy. Depp turns in a great performance as Tonto.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,611 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

nc6000 wrote: »
    I thought Scientology were making a documentary about him?

They are making a documentary about him making a documentary about them :D

It would make a good double feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

some good additions to irish netflix today
    chasing amy
    gone baby gone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Pete Moss wrote:
    I recently watched The Lone Ranger on Irish Netflix. A really fun movie to kick back and enjoy. Depp turns in a great performance as Tonto.

The finale is so ridiculously fun and OTT, it's impossible not to smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

Theirs is in response to his and needs to be called Theroux the Looking Glass

Take a bow sir. Would have liked this more if I could have

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this. If you liked Primer you'll like this too.

And 'It's a Disaster' also

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Looking at the louis theroux doc on michael jackson its interesting to think how things could have been so different for jackson had uri geller given the interview to louis instead of bashir, its scary when you think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Looking at the louis theroux doc on michael jackson its interesting to think how things could have been so different for jackson had uri geller given the interview to louis instead of bashir, its scary when you think about it

ya true, I think Michael Jackson and Uri stopped being friends after that. That Martin Bashir is some nasty f****r.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

blaa85 wrote: »
    No, don't think that's the same film that's up on netflix IE. Just some crappy looking film with the same name.

It actually is the Simon Pegg Hector and the Search for Happiness, just checked it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

Explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It actually is the Simon Pegg Hector and the Search for Happiness, just checked it out.

It was originally reported that it was the Simon Pegg movie, "Man Up" that had been added, but it isn't. It's another movie of the same name instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Ah, confusing my recent Pegg movies.

• Advertisement

I started Bloodline. I'm not sure what to make of it as sort of like Sense8 it barely dripfeeds you plot details. I'm guessing this is deliberate on the part of Netflix with these kind of shows maybe? The Florida setting isn't doing it for me but it's different, can't remember the last time I watched a show that was set there.

Btw,Elysium is on Belgium & Netherlands if anyone's looking for a scifi actioner with a touch of social commentary.

Prometheus is on Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I watched the documentary about marco pantani last night and thought it was very interesting, anyone recommend a good doc for me for tonight?

I watched the documentary about marco pantani last night and thought it was very interesting, anyone recommend a good doc for me for tonight?

Black fish about killer whales in captivity and forensic files season 1 is really good one of the best true crime shows I've watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

If you like Gabriel Byrne and well crafted crime stories you could do worse than watch "Quirke" - only four episodes. There's supposed to be a second series coming - anybody know more? 10/10

Del.Monte wrote: »
    If you like Gabriel Byrne and well crafted crime stories you could do worse than watch "Quirke" - only four episodes. There's supposed to be a second series coming - anybody know more? 10/10

Ya i really loved watching that show when it was on RTE. I hope there is a second series.

West of Memphis about three teen boys convicted of the murder of a girl.

Queen of Versailles about some filthy rich couple who begin to build a wild palace in USA just as the the whole economic crisis thing happened.

The Artist is Present about the performance artist Marina Ambromovic.

Enron is a bit of old one about corporate corruption.

There's a good doc about film critic Roger Ebert on there.

All pretty good docs. If you can find The Imposter I'd highly recommend it as it's something of a thriller style documentary.

Dark Days about people who live underground in an abandoned mine or train track or something is supposed to be good but I've not watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The Thin Blue Line

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

An Honest Lair, good doc about James Randi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I got halfway through "all this mayhem" last night before the bed started calling me. Its about a pair of brothers from Australia who make it big in the world of skateboarding.

Its very very good, looking forward to finishing it off tonight.

also - other posters here have advised not to look at trailers for it first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

A couple I've recently watched are I am an interesting journey undertaken by the film director Tom Shadyoc (Bruce almighty) as he attempts to find a meaning to his life. He questions the american dream of getting rich and the purchase of material goods; not because we need them but because we are told we need them to make us happy.

Another one is Inequality for all. Anyone interested in the crash of 2008 and the increasing divide between rich and poor might enjoy this. It shows how businesses in the US treat unions and that these polices has led to the erosion of wages and a reduction in actual income for the ordinary worker, this struck a cord with me having seen how some Irish businesses (such as ryanair) have taken similar attitudes when dealing with unions. Companies in Ireland be they homegrown or foreign are introducing a lot of these american work practices, such as minimum contract hours and no overtime or unsocial hours extra payments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement