Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

New Netflix original series called Narcos, about American DEA agents trying to take down Pablo Escobar, debuts August 28th. Looks like it could be pretty good:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

grimm2005 wrote: »
    New Netflix original series called Narcos, about American DEA agents trying to take down Pablo Escobar, debuts August 28th. Looks like it could be pretty good:

Looks like it could have some moments like Breaking Bad. It's weird how we don't hear much about Netflix's upcoming shows until trailers are released like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

I'm a bit behind for this thread in sure,but enjoying sense8 at the moment. Was putting it off cause of all the criticism. At episode 3 so far,hope it doesn't fall apart from here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

I'm a bit behind for this thread in sure,but enjoying sense8 at the moment. Was putting it off cause of all the criticism. At episode 3 so far,hope it doesn't fall apart from here

its good. but i never found it addictive alá breaking bad or true detective. still watchable though

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Roquentin wrote: »
    its good. but i never found it addictive alá breaking bad or true detective. still watchable though
    Yea I'm enjoying the fact that it's not that addictive, I lost a weekend to dare devil

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Tintin! The cartoon version. Childhood remembered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Netflix are looking at changing the price structure in some manner over the next few years.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jul/15/netflix-second-quarter-results-higher-priced-plans

It seems like nobody can catch up with Netflix. They have 65m subs, take in billions, share price of over $100, are in countries across multiple continents.

Amazon don't seem particularly good at promoting their own streaming service - what's it even called? "Amazon instant"? - and haven't broken through with a hit show like Netflix have.

Netflix trying to push this "ultra HD" option seems silly to me. And really, who needs four streams? Unless you have a big family or are splitting the cost with friends or flatmates.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Ageyev wrote: »
    Netflix trying to push this "ultra HD" option seems silly to me. And really, who needs four streams? Unless you have a big family or are splitting the cost with friends or flatmates.

3 people besides myself us my account and I'm only on the two stream option, I think there's only been been one instance where more than two of us wanted to watch something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭Corvo

Ray Donovan - Season 2 - Now on Netflix Netherlands.

Season 3 just started on Sky Atlantic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

I got halfway through "all this mayhem" last night before the bed started calling me. Its about a pair of brothers from Australia who make it big in the world of skateboarding.

Its very very good, looking forward to finishing it off tonight.

also - other posters here have advised not to look at trailers for it first.

+1. The less you know about 'All This Mayhem' the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

tigger123 wrote: »
    +1. The less you know about 'All This Mayhem' the better.

finished it last night,

our jaws were on the floor - really really didn't see it finishing the way it did.

an amazing look at the behind the scenes of pro skateboarding - a far cry from the squeaky clean image that the likes of the x-games would present.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Amazon don't seem particularly good at promoting their own streaming service - what's it even called? "Amazon instant"? - and haven't broken through with a hit show like Netflix have.

Amazon made Transparent, which was most definitely a hit.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I watched "The Guest" last night, and...wow. I can't believe so many people seemed to genuinely think it was amazing when it came out. I mean, it was fun in a "beer & pizza" sort of way but had a bloody awful script, though I suspect some of the badness was on purpose. It did at least avoid being Kung Fury for 90 minutes, chiefly because script aside the two younger actors tried their best with what they were given. The highlightfor me was the use of a Perturbator song in the soundtrack, which probably says it all.

For my money, You're Next was better as it had more effort put into the script.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched Creep yesterday, the Mark Duplass-starring debut film from director (and-co star) Patrick Brice, who has since made The Overnight. As far as I can tell the film has gone straight to Netflix, which is actually a good choice since a small screen better suits the film's aesthetic.

Things got off to a disheartening start when I found out it was a 'found footage' film, an overused form if ever there was one. But pleasingly, while the film has some horror elements, it would be more accurately described as a black comedy. It's a lot of fun, centering around a guy (Duplass) who hires a cameraman to allegedly film a sort of memorial video for his son after a terminal cancer diagnosis. It's no spoiler to say the motivations aren't entirely sincere.

It's nothing spectacular by any means, but it is mostly endearingly entertaining, with a couple of standout sequence (there's one sequence involving
    grave digging
    that plays with audience's understanding of the film's point-of-view in a delightful way). Duplass helps too, fully committed to an performance that marries OTT enthusiasm with a sinister edge.

Amazon made Transparent, which was most definitely a hit.

Yeah I thought of that, I think it won some awards last year right? But is it anywhere near the level of Orange is the New Black or House of Cards for water cooler chat material? It might be more well known in north America than here but that's the thing, Amazon's service is nowhere near well know like Some netflix. Some people posted in the bargain alerts forum about Amazon prime the other but most (like myself) were a bit clueless about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yeah I thought of that, I think it won some awards last year right? But is it anywhere near the level of Orange is the New Black or House of Cards for water cooler chat material? It might be more well known in north America than here but that's the thing, Amazon's service is nowhere near well know like Some netflix. Some people posted in the bargain alerts forum about Amazon prime the other but most (like myself) were a bit clueless about it.

didnt they make some thing with Halle Berry as well? she was an astronaut who came back from space pregnant or soemthing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You don't need to have a big family at all, if you have 2 kids that can be 3 streams in use at one time.

The extra streams with the 4K option are more of an added extra benefit to paying the extra money on top of the 4K quality for some of their shows. How could pushing an emerging new higher resolution be silly?

Are there any movies in 4K on Netflix yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

finished it last night,

our jaws were on the floor - really really didn't see it finishing the way it did.

an amazing look at the behind the scenes of pro skateboarding - a far cry from the squeaky clean image that the likes of the x-games would present.

Totally. I've zero interest in skateboarding and really loved it. It's an amazing story, really well told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The extra streams with the 4K option are more of an added extra benefit to paying the extra money on top of the 4K quality for some of their shows. How could pushing an emerging new higher resolution be silly?

Are there any movies in 4K on Netflix yet?

Only a few movies, watching Breaking Bad for the first time in 4k would be worth upgrading for a month.

Marco Polo,' 'House of Cards,' 'Breaking Bad,' 'The Blacklist,' 'Ghostbusters,' 'Ghostbusters 2,' 'Smurfs 2,' 'Jerry Maguire,' 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,

ShaneU wrote: »
    Only a few movies, watching Breaking Bad for the first time in 4k would be worth upgrading for a month.

Marco Polo,' 'House of Cards,' 'Breaking Bad,' 'The Blacklist,' 'Ghostbusters,' 'Ghostbusters 2,' 'Smurfs 2,' 'Jerry Maguire,' 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,

Yeah, I'm dying to rewatch BB but holding off until I've upgraded, getting a 65"+ 4K within the next year or two then I'll rewatch all of that plus GoT lol.

Is Daredevil in 4K also?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is Daredevil in 4K also?
    This article would seem to indicate so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

Jesus Camp is an incredible documentary. Frightening to watch. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Camp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Could anybody recommend some good old comedies on Netflix Ireland not modern one's to watch like films like the dutch or the man who knew too little, I really like watching old comedies like them.

fin12 wrote: »
    Could anybody recommend some good old comedies on Netflix Ireland not modern one's to watch like films like the dutch or the man who knew too little, I really like watching old comedies like them.

His Girl Friday is on Netflix Ireland.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A bunch of John Candy ones were added a while ago like The Great Outdoors and Delirious, they should still be up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Best thing to do is click on Browse > Comedies and then sort by Year Released.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Thanks everybody!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Babadook is on USA if you'd like to have the wits scared out of you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement