Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,613 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Separate threads for film & TV
    A Walk Among the Tombstones added to Netflix Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

I watched coherence last night, really enjoyed it. Low budget sci fi, thriller. Clever enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I'm really liking sense 8

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

One of Philip Seymour Hoffman's final films A Most Wanted Man added to Netflix Ireland. Watched it last night, thought it was superb. What an amazing talent, sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

fin12 wrote: »
    Could anybody recommend some good old comedies on Netflix Ireland not modern one's to watch like films like the dutch or the man who knew too little, I really like watching old comedies like them.

The Out of Towners and The Odd Couple - two great old school comedies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Fago123 wrote: »
    One of Philip Seymour Hoffman's final films A Most Wanted Man added to Netflix Ireland. Watched it last night, thought it was superb. What an amazing talent, sadly missed.

Hoffman is great in that. God's Pocket is on Canada netflix and that's another really good performance. He was so good at playing someone who had the weight of the world on his shoulders

• Registered Users Posts: 38,352 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

how come Waynes World is on netflix but Waynes World 2 is not ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Because they're two different films?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Fago123 wrote: »

been meaning to see that. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

PTH2009 wrote: »
    94286-are-you-mental-gif-Waynes-Worl-D3Sl.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

This 4k talk. I assuming there is no point paying for the 4k option on a 1080p 42"? Stupid question as I know it won't show up in 4k but would it look better than 1080 at all?

I don't really get the whole 4K thing. I mean, realistically, if something isn't filmed using a proper 4K camera, then it isn't 4K, right? Even if your TV says as such. If I'm understanding it right, then it won't be 4K, but will still be better than 1080, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

The 4K content has its own menu, you obviously need a 4K tv, fast enough broadband and pay the €11.99 monthly rate to access the 4K content.

The first 4K tv's may not be able to view the content of they don't have a H.265/HEVC decoder. Think most of 2015 tv's ok, older ones may have a problem.

The 4K content has its own menu, you obviously need a 4K tv, fast enough broadband and pay the €11.99 monthly rate to access the 4K content.

The first 4K tv's may not be able to view the content of they don't have a H.265/HEVC decoder. Think most of 2015 tv's ok, older ones may have a problem.

This, sadly, seems to be something that isn't being communicated to the majority of people. It was kind of the same when HDTVs were first released. And 3D TVs too.

I don't really get the whole 4K thing. I mean, realistically, if something isn't filmed using a proper 4K camera, then it isn't 4K, right? Even if your TV says as such. If I'm understanding it right, then it won't be 4K, but will still be better than 1080, right?

Well theres filming on film, filming on digital and then creating a digital copy of a film filmed on film by scanning the film. Films released on DVD or Bluray are compressed but once the scan is at ahigh enough resolution you'll get a nice picture eg. Baraka was filmed on 70mm film and scanned at 8k, then compressed down to 1080 for Blu-ray and it looks great. Baraka on blu-ray beats Baraka streaming on Netflix. Dunno what 4k streaming would be like.

4k TVs are a bit of a swizz imo unless you've a massive house and a 100inch + TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Ageyev wrote:
    4k TVs are a bit of a swizz imo unless you've a massive house and a 100inch + TV.

VHS looks amazing when up rezed on the 4k tellys.

VHS looks amazing when up rezed on the 4k tellys.

Some visual artists prefer to use CRT TVs for their colour presentation. I am super happy with digital media because I cried a small river many a time over a VHS tape being gobbled up by a machine.

Netflix is pretty much the modern day video shop. There are about 2,500 titles on the Ireland Netflix however there is a lot of filler.

Second series of The Blacklist is on Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Watched a doc called dawg fight last night about organised backyard fighting in miami, i enjoyed it but might not be everyones cup of tea 7/10.
    Also started watching tthe returned, its about a group of school kids who all died in a bus crash but 4 yrs later they 1 by 1 stard to return home,only watched a bit so far as it was late but looks interesting

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Also started watching tthe returned, its about a group of school kids who all died in a bus crash but 4 yrs later they 1 by 1 stard to return home,only watched a bit so far as it was late but looks interesting

French one or American remake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Watched the Pablo Escobar documentary 'Sins of my Father' that was recommended here a while back. Is excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

ABCs of Death 2 added to Irish Netflix. Looking forward to more 5 minute doses of horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

French one or American remake?

American one, i didnt realise it was a remake, have you seen it,is it any good?

shamrock55 wrote: »
    American one, i didnt realise it was a remake, have you seen it,is it any good?

I've only seen the French one which was excellent. I didn't hear much about the US one, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

I've only seen the French one which was excellent. I didn't hear much about the US one, to be honest.

Tried to watch the American one after the French one. Shot for shot remake.

da_hambo wrote: »
    Tried to watch the American one after the French one. Shot for shot remake.

If you've never seen the French one then the American one should be just as good? Maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I watched "Frank" last night, it made for enjoyable Monday night viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I watched "Frank" last night, it made for enjoyable Monday night viewing.

Sucks Tuesday to Sunday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Bloodties is a really good film on Netflix Ireland, Clive Owen and Billy Crudup are in in it. One of the best roles I've seen Clive Owen in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Harry66

Love/Hate Seasons 1 - 5 now on Netflix Finland

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement