Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

safetyboy wrote: »
    Just watched The Guest and really enjoyed it. Wasn't what i expected.

The Guest really is fantastic! But made even funnier by this interview -

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

Dopey question perhaps.... but thinking of getting Netflix (the kids are harassing me.... and there''s generally crape on the TV anyway). So, I read posts here saying movie XYZ is on Netflix Canada, or Australia etc...I thought the only content available was Netflix "Ireland" (or UK/Ire) so wondering what these posts are about, if this forum doesn't advocate using a VPN service for non-Ireland content ? Not trying to suggest anything illegal..... but if there ae posts here about non-Ireland content, isn't that implying the same thing ?
    Anyway, anyone recommend where I can see a (hopefully ad-free) catalogue of movies, shows etc. on Netflix Ireland so I can see if it's worth it ?
    Have an old Wii at home so I presume I can somehow stream through that onto the TV ?
    Cheers from a Netflix newbie !

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Separate threads for film & TV
    Not everyone on this site is reading from Ireland. There could be people living abroad or on holidays.

Saying X is on Netflix Canada is just a statement.

VPN-ing is on par with torrents happens but how to do it is a no-go area.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Dopey question perhaps.... but thinking of getting Netflix (the kids are harassing me.... and there''s generally crape on the TV anyway). So, I read posts here saying movie XYZ is on Netflix Canada, or Australia etc...I thought the only content available was Netflix "Ireland" (or UK/Ire) so wondering what these posts are about, if this forum doesn't advocate using a VPN service for non-Ireland content ? Not trying to suggest anything illegal..... but if there ae posts here about non-Ireland content, isn't that implying the same thing ?
    Anyway, anyone recommend where I can see a (hopefully ad-free) catalogue of movies, shows etc. on Netflix Ireland so I can see if it's worth it ?
    Have an old Wii at home so I presume I can somehow stream through that onto the TV ?

You can use the Wii to stream through your TV. I used mine for a while before I got a new laptop. The Wii worked just fine though.

Not sure where you can just browse the catalogue but isn't there a months free trial or some similar offer you could try to see if you like it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭bunglemark2

I know there's a free trial, yeah, but just inquiring if there's a catalogue or something you can search on rather than a mass list of unstructured movies and series you have to trawl through...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I know there's a free trial, yeah, but just inquiring if there's a catalogue or something you can search on rather than a mass list of unstructured movies and series you have to trawl through...

There is a catalogue of sorts on the main page but it's pretty limited. It's Netflix's biggest weakness. It takes threads like this to get recommendations of.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

You can use something like Moreflix to search for specific films and see if they're on Netflix and what regions. There's a few sites that tell you what's been added new but no real catalogue as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Season 4 of Hell on Wheels is on Netflix Canada..just on the last episode..gripping stuff..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

In short no, you can't browse the catalogue. At present there are something like 2,000 titles on Ireland Netflix....

If you sign up to Netflix and travel to a separate State, your login works but you get that State's catalogue of titles -USA, Canada and othere like Brazil and Luxembourg have way more titles

Altering one's internet location is a common practice.

Netflix have not condemned (but also not condoned) customers altering their location via various means - Netflix have the tools to stamp this out but have not yet implemented them.

Afaik the Wii is not in HD but Netflix does work on it fine. The Wii has the advantage over other consoles in that it does not heat up requiring a noisy fan.

You can search the catalogue via the links below. The UK Netflix in general is similar to the Ireland Netflix.

http://moreflicks.com
    http://uk.newonnetflix.info
    http://flixsearch.io

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Three are more than one site that give you a complete list if you want to trawl through them, heres another couple:

http://www.allflicks.net/
    http://ireland.netflixable.com/?m=1

You can change the region on these too.

Oh and re using the Wii, it works fine with SD Netflix and a very cheap way of watching, but it's user interface type thing is sh*t, and mine isn't keen on switching regions, but that could also be down to my terrible internet speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Just finished 'Fargo' the series. Loved it and I didn't expect to......

Loved the film and was reluctant to watch the series but it was excellent. Billy Bob was brilliant. Martin Freeman was really great too.

Right from the first episode it had me gripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,614 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Despicable Me 2 added to Netflix Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Watched it again last night, the de-agifying of Michael Douglas is unreal!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Despicable Me 2 added to Netflix Ireland.

ya just got an email about that wohhooo!!!!!!Love that film better than the minions film. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Without A Paddle on Netflix Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The World's End, the last of Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost's Cornetto trilogy also added today.

flazio wrote:
    The World's End, the last of Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost's Cornetto trilogy also added today.

That was a lot better than I had originally heard. Could well be my favourite of the trilogy, only marginally though. Great fight scenes and Martin Freeman is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Watched "The Apartment" enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

FunLover18 wrote: »
    That was a lot better than I had originally herd. Could well be my favourite of the trilogy, only marginally though. Great fight scenes and Martin Freeman is brilliant.

I was really, really disappointed by it myself. Not a particularly funny comedy, not very romantic, romantic drama, not very good sci-fi, sci-fi film, average action etc, etc.
    Basically I thought it tried to be far too clever, trying a lot of things and ended up doing all of them to a very mediocre standard. The worst of the 3 for me, by an absolute country mile.

Glad you liked it though, everyone sees things through different eyes which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I thought when I saw it in the cinema it wasn't great, however last night, admittedly with a few drinks in me, I thought it was OK.

• Advertisement

I was really, really disappointed by it myself. Not a particularly funny comedy, not very romantic, romantic drama, not very good sci-fi, sci-fi film, average action etc, etc.
    Basically I thought it tried to be far too clever, trying a lot of things and ended up doing all of them to a very mediocre standard. The worst of the 3 for me, by an absolute country mile.

Glad you liked it though, everyone sees things through different eyes which is a good thing.

It's not perfect by any means and Simon Pegg's character is so ****ing unlikeable but I've always found Hot Fuzz to be too long and for me the plot to Shaun just isn't enough to sustain a full movie. But yeh, different strokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

Just wondering if Oz is available in any regions?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Just wondering if Oz is available in any regions?

No because its HBO, they have their own streaming service in US, think they might roll out here eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

sweetie wrote: »
    think they might roll out here eventually.
    Really hope they do. Will save me from the tediously legal option of moving over to Sky for the new Game of Thrones season or spending 40 euro when the box set comes out next year. Ridiculous how we're inconvenienced for wanting to do the right thing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

e_e wrote: »
    Really hope they do. Will save me from the tediously legal option of moving over to Sky for the new Game of Thrones season or spending 40 euro when the box set comes out next year. Ridiculous how we're inconvenienced for wanting to do the right thing.

I'm not sure if it's available in Ireland but in the UK at least NowTV is a useful alternative to having to switch to Sky. I'm mainly interested in stuff they have via Sky Atlantic, and it's a similar amount a month to Netflix so not ludicrously pricey (though I dislike the way that they have episodes of current series expire after a month, it's a bit silly IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Has anyone watched the series "bloodline",i was thinking of giving it a whirl is it any good, its either that or "rome" or even marco polo, im already just starting to watch breaking bad and the returned so 3 tv series would be max for me to watch in one go:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Has anyone watched the series "bloodline",i was thinking of giving it a whirl is it any good, its either that or "rome" or even marco polo, im already just starting to watch breaking bad and the returned so 3 tv series would be max for me to watch in one go:D

bloodline is brilliant. addictive and worth watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Bloodline is good if a bit drawn out. I felt they could have wrapped it up in a shorter number of episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭tigger123

Watched Coherence on the Irish Netflix and I'd highly recommend it. It's low budget sci fi and the less ya know about it the better. Mind bending stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I watched the Last of the Gladiators and The Short Game yesterday, inadvertantly on a sports doc binge it appeared.

Last of the Gladiators covers ice hockey and the role of "enforcers" in teams, focusing on Chris Nilan who played for the montreal canadian. It's decent but they only seem to skim the surface of alot of player welfare issues once they hang up their skates. Only seemed to scratch the surface of the off-rink issues some of them develop.

The Short Game follows a bunch of 7 and 8 year old kids taking on the Junior Golf championships, their skills are amazing but it's an interesting insight into the techniques of the parents too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement